Reload this Page >

Canadian Army/Armed Forces

Canadian Army/Armed Forces

Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

ogbilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Army/Armed Forces

Hi, my very first post

My question is do the Canadian Armed Forces recruit from other Nations. I am currently serving with the British Army (10 years service). My family and I have been seriously considering moving to Canada for some time now.

I know the Australian Forces recruit other nationalities, but I'd rather wake up and run the risk of a bear being in my slippers than a black widow

At least I can see the bear
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Army/Armed Forces

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/e...q/index_e.aspx
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, I cant access the page at the moment (24 hour shift at work)

I shall have to take a peek tomorrow when I get home, must be something to do with the security associations on the browser, silly work regulations
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, sorry. It says:-

You must meet the following minimal conditions:

-be a Canadian citizen (if you have a permanent resident status, you may still be considered eligible for employment under certain conditions)

-be at least 17 years of age (16 for the Reserves and Military College) with parental/quardian consent for minors

-have successfully completed Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec); some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Ahhh, sorry. It says:-

You must meet the following minimal conditions:

-be a Canadian citizen (if you have a permanent resident status, you may still be considered eligible for employment under certain conditions)

-be at least 17 years of age (16 for the Reserves and Military College) with parental/quardian consent for minors

-have successfully completed Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec); some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites
Many thanks again, was hoping they would take into consideration my experience, seems to join up, I'd have to get residency first then guess I'll drop them a mail and enquire. I know if you have a job to go to it vastly improves your chances of acceptance.

We just really want to leave the UK for my families sake, no life here for our daughter, I've been to Canada a couple of times and really liked the place and the people.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

When I was in the reserves I met a few permanent residents (I remember one from Croatia and one from Argentina specifically). So it is possible to get into the reserves as a non-citizen. I believe you would have to go through basic training again, though, and of course the reserves are not full time. You could go on "Class B" service meaning you work full time as a reservist, and it is fairly easy to transfer to the regular force from the reserves without re-doing any training (i.e., basic and trades training).

You could try investigating any exchange or transfer programs that exist between the British and Canadian armies. I don't know how common they are, or if they apply to all ranks or only officers, but it may be worth a shot (sorry, no pun intended).
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:21 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnyaT
When I was in the reserves I met a few permanent residents (I remember one from Croatia and one from Argentina specifically). So it is possible to get into the reserves as a non-citizen. I believe you would have to go through basic training again, though, and of course the reserves are not full time. You could go on "Class B" service meaning you work full time as a reservist, and it is fairly easy to transfer to the regular force from the reserves without re-doing any training (i.e., basic and trades training).

You could try investigating any exchange or transfer programs that exist between the British and Canadian armies. I don't know how common they are, or if they apply to all ranks or only officers, but it may be worth a shot (sorry, no pun intended).
I agree that the reserve units are stuffed with immigrants. One I know of is commonly referred to as the Royal Regiment of Refugees.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:31 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I agree that the reserve units are stuffed with immigrants. One I know of is commonly referred to as the Royal Regiment of Refugees.
Immigrants ? Oh how terrible.

Rich.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ogbilly
Hi, my very first post

My question is do the Canadian Armed Forces recruit from other Nations. I am currently serving with the British Army (10 years service). My family and I have been seriously considering moving to Canada for some time now.

I know the Australian Forces recruit other nationalities, but I'd rather wake up and run the risk of a bear being in my slippers than a black widow

I take it you are looking as this as a way to emigrate to Canada. My husband is a born and raised Canadian, now US Citizen, with 36 years under his belt with the RCAF and still in the Canadian Reserves.

I don't believe this is possible if only because the Canadian Forces have been seriously downsized since 1964. At present their forces are minimal and according to some Canadian sources are stretched to the limit and the monetary budget for the military is the same.

Wishing you luck in your endeavor. Canada is a nice place to live and raise a family. At least that is my take on it as their southern neighbor and being married to one of its citizens.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Immigrants ? Oh how terrible.

Rich.
Tis true, though. I knew the regt. Pick a country, any country. In the ranks, anyway.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:04 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ogbilly
Hi, my very first post

There used to be a thing called OP Longlook, where you can be attached to other countries armed forces, we had several Australians come to work with us, contact SSAFA (www.ssaffa.org.uk) they should be able to help.