Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

complicated car insurance question, uk no claims to BC

complicated car insurance question, uk no claims to BC

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:51 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Question complicated car insurance question, uk no claims to BC

ive checked the wiki and absorbed the advice in it, but i have a bit of a convuluted query, if you can stay with me id appreciate any advice....

ive been driving in uk for 15 yrs, i had an at fault claim in jul 06 and an at fault claim in jul 07.

1. do i get insurance history and letters per the wiki saying "TJ was insured from date to date, and did not make any claims." for the period from jul 07 to now?

further complicated by me oft changing cars and in that time ive only remained insured with one company for a whole year once ( do have continuous insurance just change companies when they are cheaper) so...

2. since ive not got a full years no claims with each of them, do i ask them to just write the dates i was insured and end to end them? (hoping that makes sence) this will prove i had continuous insurance if not with the same supplier. or does it have to be each claim free full year insured with one company? ( in which case im screwed )

3. have no idea at all who insured me in 2008/2009, or what i was driving, hoping the MID can help me out there (did you know they will only search per reg plate not per person, DVLA are the same - you would think you could go to one of them and say this is me, what did i drive and who was i insured with? but then i guess you are supposed to keep your details.) might ask the car ins co i had after that who i gave them proof of no claims from...

4. my newest car had a NI plate on it when i bought it, and i had a personalised plate which i then put on, do i have to ask the ins co to clarify that the car ( a kia sedona) was reg'd as "abc123" and is now reg'd as "myplate1" but is still the same car, insured with the same company and up to the date in question has had no claims?

finally and i do appreciate you staying with me thus far...

5. i had claim free years prior to july 06 and jul 07 crashes, do they count or is it just from the date of your last at fault claim?

(in my defence one of the smashes was SOOOOO not my fault, but i didnt have any witnesses to the other guys crazy swerving so the ins co went knock for knock and it is down as an at fault claim on my insurance, as well as his.)
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: complicated car insurance question, uk no claims to BC

Originally Posted by __TJ__
ive checked the wiki and absorbed the advice in it, but i have a bit of a convuluted query, if you can stay with me id appreciate any advice....

ive been driving in uk for 15 yrs, i had an at fault claim in jul 06 and an at fault claim in jul 07.

1. do i get insurance history and letters per the wiki saying "TJ was insured from date to date, and did not make any claims." for the period from jul 07 to now?
Insurers look at a 5 yr history, and the reality is you've had two at fault losses in 5 years.

further complicated by me oft changing cars and in that time ive only remained insured with one company for a whole year once ( do have continuous insurance just change companies when they are cheaper) so...
You'll need to provide evidence to support this (ie/ unbroken insurance)

2. since ive not got a full years no claims with each of them, do i ask them to just write the dates i was insured and end to end them? (hoping that makes sence) this will prove i had continuous insurance if not with the same supplier. or does it have to be each claim free full year insured with one company? ( in which case im screwed )
The more I read this, the more I think you're wasting your time. You've had a couple of losses, and a chequered experience. From an insurance company point of view, why are they going to do you any favours if you're constantly looking for a better deal (granted, you cant do that in BC but you see my point).

3. have no idea at all who insured me in 2008/2009, or what i was driving, hoping the MID can help me out there (did you know they will only search per reg plate not per person, DVLA are the same - you would think you could go to one of them and say this is me, what did i drive and who was i insured with? but then i guess you are supposed to keep your details.) might ask the car ins co i had after that who i gave them proof of no claims from...

4. my newest car had a NI plate on it when i bought it, and i had a personalised plate which i then put on, do i have to ask the ins co to clarify that the car ( a kia sedona) was reg'd as "abc123" and is now reg'd as "myplate1" but is still the same car, insured with the same company and up to the date in question has had no claims?
The letter will just say that they insured you between X and X and you had X claims

5. i had claim free years prior to july 06 and jul 07 crashes, do they count or is it just from the date of your last at fault claim?
As mentioned, they'll look at a 5yr history. You're in a slightly better position in that the claims were at the back end of the 5yrs, but you've been an unprofitably policyholder in that time I would suspect.

(in my defence one of the smashes was SOOOOO not my fault, but i didnt have any witnesses to the other guys crazy swerving so the ins co went knock for knock and it is down as an at fault claim on my insurance, as well as his.)
Wont really be relevant to be honest. ICBC doesnt have any competition so they can pretty much do what they want.
Answers in red.

Get your chequebook ready!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by __TJ__

yeah as Jericho says ^^^ i think you may have to start from scratch again i'm afraid.
we had similar issues with a theft claim and cancelled our policy mid term when we sold the car to come over here. We just couldn't get the information they needed.
FYI we live in BC and insured our new car in Feb just in OH name as I don't need to drive that often plus ive been driving under 10 yrs so puts premium up massivly if i was ot be named. Fully comp etc and we pay $300 p/month!!! we could only insure up to 6months the first time and can then renew it in august. Fingers crossed it goes down a bit!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As Jericho says above, ICBC is not your average insurance company. What you pay is based on your claims record with them. If you have no prior history with them they start you off at the basic rate. For every year without a claim you go one step down their premium scale (worth 5% a year discount during the first 8 years) and for every at fault claim you go six steps up the the scale. See here http://www.icbc.com/autoplan-insuran...-costs/crs.pdf

Driving safely saves you $$$$ which I suppose is the idea. If you do have an at-fault claim you are given the option to pay the claim yourself. If you do so then it does not count against you on the premium scale. Many people do this for small knocks.

ICBC will give you discount for up to eight years at-fault claim free driving immediately prior to moving to BC assuming you get the confirmation in the form they require (this is in the wiki). If you can get the appropriate letters form the insurance companies you were with after your last claim you may be able to get up to 15% discount and this could be worth around $400 a year.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As Jericho says above, ICBC is not your average insurance company. What you pay is based on your claims record with them. If you have no prior history with them they start you off at the basic rate. For every year without a claim you go one step down their premium scale (worth 5% a year discount during the first 8 years) and for every at fault claim you go six steps up the the scale. See here http://www.icbc.com/autoplan-insuran...-costs/crs.pdf

Driving safely saves you $$$$ which I suppose is the idea. If you do have an at-fault claim you are given the option to pay the claim yourself. If you do so then it does not count against you on the premium scale. Many people do this for small knocks.

ICBC will give you discount for up to eight years at-fault claim free driving immediately prior to moving to BC assuming you get the confirmation in the form they require (this is in the wiki). If you can get the appropriate letters form the insurance companies you were with after your last claim you may be able to get up to 15% discount and this could be worth around $400 a year.
Hmmmm .... it's not about driving safely but if you manage to pin the blame on somebody else. I trashed a car when an employee from Transport Canada broadsided me, while they were driving illegally. Strings were pulled and *phftht* I got the blame. Someone I know had some cretin in a left only lane change his mind and smash in the side of her. A bit of side damage and a new bulb and lens. Bill $10k!. Another accident and the adjudicator used google satellite images as evidence for an accident. Images of a junction which had changed dramatically since the satellite was last over, but why would they care? The accident in North Vancouver about a minute from ICBC's office was in fact dealt with by ICBC in Surrey. ICBC don't consider actual facts but have premeditated blame which is impossible to defend against. Well it keeps the lawyers who specialize in ICBC claims happy and in good business. For example, if you go in the back of someone it's 100% your fault according to ICBC. Sounds reasonable if you're just not paying attention, or are speeding. But what happens if some impatient twat decides to let themselves out in front of you without time to stop. You go in the back of them and they'll be living off the insurance claim against you. And the way people drive it's like they know it. Insurance companies should be mandated to be fair and honest. ICBC is corrupt to the core, fiendishly expensive, and operators of the biggest cartel in car repair scams on the planet.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:26 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Technically(and by a week or so) I've had one claim in 5 years. (12 julyly06) then (22 July 2007) I can show unbroken insurance since then, with no claims made, just spread over several insurers, and in some instances where I changed mid-policy was because I changed cars and not ness cos it was cheaper but I see what you are saying it will be pricey! Thanks all for the info.