Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Industrial Electrician - Should I give up on the Dream????

Industrial Electrician - Should I give up on the Dream????

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

ste1070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Industrial Electrician - Should I give up on the Dream????

My family and I want to emigrate to Canada and have wanted to for a considerable time now. I am 40 and it is one of those things I fear I will regret if I don't make it and end up staying in UK for rest of my life. We have done a recce (for 3 weeks last year) and this only confirmed our feelings for making this life changing decision. I am fully aware of the 'rose tinted spectacle' expression but I am very level headed and practical. We visited friends whilst over there and I was even documenting there outgoings etc to get a real feel for what living costs are so I think you will see that I am very practical and look at all eventualities as best I can.

What I see as the stumbling block is cash. I am not currently in a position to stump up to go for permanent residency from here in the UK. I just dont have funds available. If, however, I received a job offer, LMO TWP etc, I would be able to get myself over there and get started. It is just this whole thing of trying to get a job from here. I am aware of the different culture regarding employment but it seem difficult to co-ordinate things in order to telephone employers all the time. I have sent numerous resumes in which people do say isn't always the way. I have had a couple of communications which whilst not resulting in any offers, did confirm to me that if my resume drops on a desk or in an inbox at the right time, I may be in with a chance.

This brings me onto my next issue which is if there is such a demand for my skills, why does it seem so difficult to generate any interest? I have an excellent resume spanning my previous 20 years experience and I have been told by a fellow spark over there, that I sound very employable. I am aware of the Red Seal requirements and would sit this once over there. I have signed ITA form detailing required hours from a previous employer.

Where am I going wrong? Is there any hope? Should I give up on this dream - am not getting any younger!

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Industrial Electrician - Should I give up on the Dream????

Hate to say this, but if you don't have the proof of funds amount for a FSW application, how do you plan to move? Even on a TWP you'll still have the same set up costs (flights, rental deposits, car etc) and it's not going to be any cheaper. The only thing it will save is the application fees for PR so you'll pay $300 rather than $2k or so, but you're still going to have to shell out £10k+ just to get over there and start your life. Unless by any chance you can find a company prepared to give you a good relocation package of course, but I suspect not in the current economic climate.

Re: job hunting, how are you doing it? Did you job hunting in person when you were over there, or at the ver least, are you picking up the phone every evening to phone potential employers?

I wouldn't give up on the dream, but the money side of things would concern me tbh, so you'll need to be realistic about whether or not you can afford to do it. Plus be realistic about the fact that if you go over on a TWP, you are tied to your employer so you need to think about what you'll do if you are laid off and how you will then afford to return to the UK if necessary.

HTH, good luck with it all.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

What she said^

Good advice!

We are applying FSW 7241 Electrician (not industrial). We used the equity in our house for our initial application. I had an indipendant valuation done as well as a valuation from the bank and then a letter from HSBC stating how much was left on our mortgae.

We applied in November under the new rules but I still expect it to be a long process so gives us time to sort things out.

Since then we have been saving and have sold our car and got a smart car. Were hoping by the time the application is complete we'll have £20,000. We need £9,000 as a couple to activate our visa.

Hopefully we'll get there next summer and do a bit of travelling before we settle down.

Good luck!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

bryandd is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't give up the dream mate! Search the canadian job sites as much as you can, like Canada Job Bank, Monster.ca, etc..and keep looking! It's frustrating I know, but don't lose hope!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hate to say this, but if you don't have the proof of funds amount for a FSW application, how do you plan to move? Even on a TWP you'll still have the same set up costs (flights, rental deposits, car etc) and it's not going to be any cheaper. The only thing it will save is the application fees for PR so you'll pay $300 rather than $2k or so, but you're still going to have to shell out £10k+ just to get over there and start your life. Unless by any chance you can find a company prepared to give you a good relocation package of course, but I suspect not in the current economic climate.

Re: job hunting, how are you doing it? Did you job hunting in person when you were over there, or at the ver least, are you picking up the phone every evening to phone potential employers?

I wouldn't give up on the dream, but the money side of things would concern me tbh, so you'll need to be realistic about whether or not you can afford to do it. Plus be realistic about the fact that if you go over on a TWP, you are tied to your employer so you need to think about what you'll do if you are laid off and how you will then afford to return to the UK if necessary.

HTH, good luck with it all.
Hi,

I may be wrong but if you secure work via a TWP and get your PR fast tracked once you are working there you do not need to show proof of funds as you are already working and supporting yourself? Anyway, if I secure work I have funds available from our property. Thanks for your help and I will keep plugging away. It can be disheartening though.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bryandd
Don't give up the dream mate! Search the canadian job sites as much as you can, like Canada Job Bank, Monster.ca, etc..and keep looking! It's frustrating I know, but don't lose hope!
Thanks. Like everything, it could all happen at once.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ste1070
I may be wrong but if you secure work via a TWP and get your PR fast tracked once you are working there you do not need to show proof of funds as you are already working and supporting yourself? Anyway, if I secure work I have funds available from our property. Thanks for your help and I will keep plugging away. It can be disheartening though.
No, you're right - well sort of, you don't get PR fast tracked, but you don't have to show proof of funds if you go on a TWP.

My point was that CIC ask to see the proof of funds to show that you can afford to get settled in Canada, and you'll have the same requirements in that respect as anybody with PR i.e. you'll still need rental deposits, etc. So will need that amount anyway (worth noting that it's usually said to be on the low side too, most people spend far more than that), even if you don't have to show you've got it officially.

If you've got money in your property, then why not use that to apply as FSW? Then you'd have PR so be much more secure than going over on a TWP, plus of course you'd be more attractive to employers as you'd be work authorised. You can use equity for your intial application, it's only when 'land' that you need actual cash in the bank.

HTH.

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:41 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

whilst I agree with everything CO said, it IS totally doable on limited funds.

When I came over with my then o/h, we had 2 suitcases and $2k to our name (house in uk wasn't sold and was lookng like it never would).

We were on twp through the LMO route - HOWEVER - the employer rented a place for us for 3 months and supplied us with a vehicle for a couple of weeks to ensure we could get around and do all the "setting up" until we were in a position to go it alone.

It was tight but we did it - so can you too. Get that all important job offer and sort out the details from there

Edited to add if you aren't fortunate enough to get the leg up with place and vehicle you WILL need a months rent and security deposit for a house, $2k for an old bangor, and $2k / $3k to get you through the first month before your pay comes in - so a MINIMUM of $6k to start

Last edited by mandymoochops; Jun 22nd 2011 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

My family and I want to emigrate to Canada and have wanted to for a considerable time now. I am 40 and it is one of those things I fear I will regret if I don't make it and end up staying in UK for rest of my life. We have done a recce (for 3 weeks last year) and this only confirmed our feelings for making this life changing decision. I am fully aware of the 'rose tinted spectacle' expression but I am very level headed and practical. We visited friends whilst over there and I was even documenting there outgoings etc to get a real feel for what living costs are so I think you will see that I am very practical and look at all eventualities as best I can.

What I see as the stumbling block is cash. I am not currently in a position to stump up to go for permanent residency from here in the UK. I just dont have funds available. If, however, I received a job offer, LMO TWP etc, I would be able to get myself over there and get started. It is just this whole thing of trying to get a job from here. I am aware of the different culture regarding employment but it seem difficult to co-ordinate things in order to telephone employers all the time. I have sent numerous resumes in which people do say isn't always the way. I have had a couple of communications which whilst not resulting in any offers, did confirm to me that if my resume drops on a desk or in an inbox at the right time, I may be in with a chance.

This brings me onto my next issue which is if there is such a demand for my skills, why does it seem so difficult to generate any interest? I have an excellent resume spanning my previous 20 years experience and I have been told by a fellow spark over there, that I sound very employable. I am aware of the Red Seal requirements and would sit this once over there. I have signed ITA form detailing required hours from a previous employer.

Where am I going wrong? Is there any hope? Should I give up on this dream - am not getting any younger!

Cheers

Steve

My husband is also an electrician and we came over on a TWP in 2008. We invested a lot of money into a global recruitment company around $5000 which helped us find employment whereas before we were hitting brick walls not having the red seal. We were fortunate enough that my hubby was offered a job in the oil sands and they literally covered all the costs and even the red seal exam as like you we didn`t have the money to invest and without this opportunity we would not be here. Then to cut a long story short having passed his red seal he was offered employment on TWP and we headed off to Canada. It has been a rollercoaster journey but as we had our permanent residency application already filed it was just a case of fast tracking. Luckily, for us he managed to stay in employment as other`s who came over relatively the same time as us were laid off - tbh it was very stressful living day to day not knowing if he would be next. When we came over we brought a considerable amount of money with us but at that time the exchange rate was $1.98 so we did get a lot for around $15,000 this enabled us to purchase a car, flights, rental deposits and other bits and pieces. As you have no credit history it is near impossible to get any help with finance whatsoever it took us nearly 6 months to get a credit card. We are pleased to say with our perserverance we managed to get our PR. We can honestly say coming here hasn`t turned out to be the dream we were hoping for but we are happy and our children have settled in and are flourishing. All I can really advise is that without set up costs it will be very difficult and stressful for you to live comfortably and with the precarious situation of companies bringing people over and then laying them off at a minutes notice is also very daunting. We have had friends who have had no choice but to return to UK/Germany due to being laid off and not being able to get another LMO approval or work permits. So if you did come over with a TWP personally I would still try to keep some kind of foot hold incase you have to return.

As to finding work, with the recession and so many people being laid off from jobs still. There is not so much demand as there is enough Canadians to fill these positions that is probably why you are not really getting many bites. Also, alot of positions now would prefer for applicants to have PR or citizenship. With all this in mind I wouldn`t give up totally on your dream it just might take a little bit longer. I wish you all the luck in the world and if you need any further advice or have any questions please feel free to PM me.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Why don't you book your red seal exam? and then you will be far more employable to a company
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hutchy100
Why don't you book your red seal exam? and then you will be far more employable to a company
Another grey area. I am led to believe amongst other things, you need to have Canadian photo ID before you can sit the test as well as having a Canadian address for correspondence.

I have bought copy of regs + smaller guide. Just need the ESAT cd now.

Feel it would be better to sort out once there as companies, I gather, will employ you but may pay a lower rate whilst attaining Red Seal. Some may even put you through it. Not sure.

Thanks for your help
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another grey area. I am led to believe amongst other things, you need to have Canadian photo ID before you can sit the test as well as having a Canadian address for correspondence.

I have bought copy of regs + smaller guide. Just need the ESAT cd now.

Feel it would be better to sort out once there as companies, I gather, will employ you but may pay a lower rate whilst attaining Red Seal. Some may even put you through it. Not sure.

Thanks for your help
Hey Ste,

With regards to the Red Seal ID, I know if you sit in in BC you must have Canadian issued ID (only available with a canadian passport/visa/etc) which is the issue I had also.

I'm not sure if sitting it in another province may be different since they are differenct training authorities? I really dont know! Maybe someone else may have that answer

Good luck mate!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:41 pm
jck
Forum Regular

jck is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent off an email enquiring about applying for industrial electrician red seal,
this is the reply i recieved yesterday, hope its useful

Thank you for your inquiry. The trade you are looking to challenge will be found at http://www.itabc.ca/Page496.aspx . You will want to print the "Certification Challenge Application". Please note: We cannot guarantee specific dates/times to write the exam.

There are several important items to note when applying to challenge a trade certification:

1. There is a $120.00 fee to challenge the application. This is a one time fee. It is non-refundable under any circumstances.

2. You may fax/e-mail or mail the documents to the Industry Training Authority. However, please ensure you submit the ENTIRE challenge package at one time to avoid confusion/delays.

3. All employer declarations for work experience from outside of Canada must be accompanied by a letter on company letterhead from the employer. The letter should include the dates of employment, job title, a detailed summary of job duties and overall quality of work. It should be signed by an authorized representative of the employer.

4. Applications may be made to the ITA only by residents of British Columbia. As such, it is critical that when you submit your application you have a BC mailing address. In addition, once you are approved to write the exam, you MUST provide one of the following types of ID: British Columbia Identification Card, Canadian Driver's License, Canada/US Passport, Canadian Permanent Residency Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status (Canada). Candidates who are unable to produce one of the types of photo ID will not be permitted to write the exam and will be subject to a $50 no show fee.

5. If you are declaring self-employment, please complete Statutory Declarations Part 1 and Part 2. You must have this notarized. In addition, please provide a list of three individuals you have worked with (such as clients, employees, suppliers). Please provide their names and contact information.

6. We must be able to contact AT LEAST ONE employer. For any additional employers that you cannot get in contact with, you may complete the Statutory Declarations Part 1 and 2. These must be notarized.

7. You MUST pass and be certified within ONE YEAR of being approved to challenge. If the one year approval expires, you will be required to re-submit a new challenge application and pay the $120 assessment fee.

8. The passing grade for the exam is 70%. If you score less than 60% on your first attempt or are unsuccessful after two attempts, you will be required to demonstrate proof of upgrading for each attempt thereafter. We may require that you attend a course as proof of upgrading.

9. Your first two attempts at the exam are include in the $120.00 assessment fee, if you are approved to write. Your third attempt and all attempts there after $100.00 each.

For study materials I recommend you find a local school that offers technical training for your trade, and talk to their school bookstore to see which books are offered for that course. Sometimes these schools will also offer an "IP refresher" course to help tradesworkers prepare for their certification exams. Find your trade in the BC and Red Seal trades list at http://www.itabc.ca/Page496.aspx and follow the 'Training Institutions' link.

It's also worthwhile to go to the Red Seal website and look at the National Occupational Analysis and Essential Skills Profile for your trade - www.red-seal.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

I'm doing my BC gas fitting course now i know this is not a red seal trade but i had to come and do the last year of college for 6 weeks, i have pasted the course and am sitting my BC gas exam next week

I have found this course very help full i have been a gas fitter for 10 years in the UK and don't think i'd have passed if i would'nt have done the course

So you may want to see if you can do a final year what the electrains would do in Canada my course was around 2000 dollars to do but way i see it i'm hoping it will find me a job
Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

To the OP

Be aware that a UK Industrial Electrician and a Canadian Industrial Electrician are not the same here, a Canadian Industrial Electrician is what we would call a maintenance Electrician, NOC code 7242. If you were an installation spark who did mostly industrial work in the UK you would be classed as a construction Electrician here NOC code 7241.

Construction Electrician http://www.itabc.ca/Page614.aspx

Industrial Electrician http://www.itabc.ca/Page615.aspx

Not sure what province you are looking at but I think the details differ from province to province, for instance I am a consruction electrician here in Alberta and it is $450 to challenge the red seal IP exam, non-refundable if you don't meet the criteria. However with 20 years experience behind you you should have no issues getting documented proof and easily meeting the 8775 hours and 72 months. CO is correct in stating you are far better off applying as a FSW on PR than a TWP.
We were not well off financially, living week to week as I was self employed in the UK, we managed to fund the PR application, you can (as stated on here) use the equity in your house as proof of funds during your application to London, you only need actual proof of funds when you land to activate your visa. The process took us just under 11 months but can happen quicker than that.
From my experience Canadian employers in the current climate will not entertain foreign applications, I lost count of the emails I sent with no replies, phone calls may work better but too easy to ignore. When I visited the employers in person they were far more willing to discuss employment.
Although I moved here in May with no job to go to I had one within 2 weeks albeit as an apprentice to get my foot on the Canadian job ladder, I will be starting another job this coming Monday which was not even advertised, I just dropped in to talk to the company and they interviewed me there and then, called me back a couple of weeks later and after a 2nd interview offered me a job.
You are far more employable to these guys as a PR, firstly they know you are more likely to be here for the long run, secondly they don't have to go through the LMO process which they aren't guaranteed to be succesful in at the moment.
Seriously look into the PR route it gives you so many other options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.