Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Complete muddle over where to live

Complete muddle over where to live

Old Jul 8th 2015, 2:36 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complete muddle over where to live

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The fact that the Lakeshore line runs all day as well was important for us, since I often go into Toronto for social stuff in the evening after work, and my husband sometimes goes out for drinks after work... so being stuck on the schedules where it's just 3-4 trains in in the morning and 3-4 trains out in the evening wouldn't really work out.

My husband has taken the trains out towards Milton etc a few times in the evening, and he DESPISES it. The trains are always completely rammed full of people, and they aren't express trains at all, so it's lots of stops. He says the Lakeshore lines are significantly more civil - he always gets a seat, if he misses a train it's not a big deal since they are just that much more frequent, and the trains aren't completely packed full.
Another crucial point. The lakeshore line is close to recognisable as a regular European train line. The four/ five lines inland are not- single track and typically four trains come into town (30 mins intervals) in the morning, stay there and go back at night. If you miss the last train (late meeting, ultra busy, or a social beer if you meet some Brits) you can use your ticket on the GO-bus. Driving. All the way out of the city at the tail end of rush-hour. Just the thought of it makes me shudder. (late night busses are fine and very quick when there's no traffic though).

Originally Posted by dbd33
All depends, dunnit. I found living downtown to be very sociable, easy going. In a few years in Leslieville I never spoke to anyone, in the Beach it was sociable but very competitive; people looked down on me because I'm only an associate member of the yacht club.

Guelph is a satellite town full of hipsters, it's not sociable unless you knit your own yoghurt. Port Credit was friendly enough, I only knew francophones but there seemed to be plenty of them and they drank frequently. I haven't tried living in one of those godforesaken tracts of newer houses; I even refused to take the kids to birthday parties in Oakville or Mississauga (NoftheQEW) for fear of never finding the way out.

Now, deep in the country, sociable waving is the done thing. Speaking is not.
An Associate member? Again I doff my cap to thee!

Originally Posted by BristolUK

So people don't stand and chat in the street as they would have done when I was in the UK. On the other hand when you do pass a stranger here there's a likely a greeting coming your way rather than the just walk on by I was used to.
In my 'hood I often stop to talk to people I know from the pub or from church. It's one thing I really like about the area.

Originally Posted by not2old
Depends on what the OP is looking for - different strokes for different folks & one major factor is 'what they can afford'
Exactly, which was why I pointed out my extreme bias against those godforsaken tracts of newer houses.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...people looked down on me because I'm only an associate member of the yacht club.
Are you sure that was the reason?
Old Jul 8th 2015, 3:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Are you sure that was the reason?
On Wednesday evenings, yes.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 3:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
dbd33 @post# 44

the most pleasant period living in the city was on Woodfield Rd (Coxwell/Gerrard) then to Browning Ave just North of Chester Ave/Danforth, followed by the long period in South Leaside, then with children it was move out to 'fresh air' of suburbia, then a few miles further east of that.

Depends on what the OP is looking for - different strokes for different folks & one major factor is 'what they can afford'
Woodfield is a good location; you would have been easily able to walk to the BBQ Hut, the Dutch Pot and Stoney's while we were walking from Greenwood to the BBQ Hut, the Dutch Pot and Stoney's.