Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Complete muddle over where to live

Complete muddle over where to live

Old Jul 5th 2015, 3:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complete muddle over where to live

Originally Posted by Aviator
In our part of the country we have an indoor privvy. Perhaps going outside is one of those back to nature things?
made my day did that
Old Jul 5th 2015, 5:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
In our part of the country we have an indoor privvy. Perhaps going outside is one of those back to nature things?
I visited Canada in 1975 and we stayed in a lakeside cabin in NS for part of the trip. We dipped in the lake for morning shower.

There was an outhouse. This one looks in better shape.

Using the torch to find your way there through the trees after dark was no fun.

I remember it was a long drop below.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
except when you have to go outside & do your business or whatever it is you do in your line of work. Driving around in the dead of winter, stuck in the snow drifts, having fender benders, trying to park... its unimaginable to park several blocks or a few side streets away from doing that work.

Same in the hot humid 30C +high humid summer months.

Canada, especially Toronto or within the GTA is a lovely place to live & work
Outhouse humour aside you make a good point. However because I am always going somewhere different it doesn't feel like a commute. Having said that I have been working with people buying in Ancaster this past couple of weeks, its a beautiful place but not easy to get to from Oakville at 6pm on a weeknight, that has been trying, but it did serve to remind me how happy I am not to have to deal with that on a daily basis. If I am working downtown, I will go on the GO train and subway, its so much easier than trying to find places to park.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

on a Sunday morning, yeah right!

Try that next week when the city is in gridlock
On Sunday morning there are horses and carts. They're slow but I tend not to go to the office on Sunday mornings. Of course, it's not the office in Toronto that I'm talking about; the market is 90 minutes from here so the office would be 100 or so (on a Saturday morning).
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

anyhoo, in an effort to get this thread back on track. To the OP, there are areas of Oakville that would meet your criteria, you could walk to the main street for shopping and coffee shops (although Oakville's main street is more of a stroll and browse kind of a place rather than a pick up your family groceries place). There are parks for dog walking and safe streets for bike riding, however that area is expensive. Once you move away from that part you do get into more 'house after house' type neighbourhoods that you describe. Although many of these have trails running through them (you don't always see these from the road but they make for some lovely walks) and local shopping plazas that often have a coffee shop, but its not the same as a traditional high street.
I don't know anything about the options to the East of Toronto. The other place to the West with a considerably shorter commute that springs to mind is Bloor West Village. It has as traditional a High Street as you are likely to find, a large park not far away but the houses are generally older and quite close together on relatively narrow streets.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
anyhoo, in an effort to get this thread back on track. To the OP, there are areas of Oakville that would meet your criteria, you could walk to the main street for shopping and coffee shops (although Oakville's main street is more of a stroll and browse kind of a place rather than a pick up your family groceries place).
On that point, my first post response to the OP was to show places other than the east-west corridor commute either along the lakeshore, or the 401 from Milton to Scarborough, Pickering or the other way round.

That's why I threw in Newmarket (and why not include Ancaster, Stouffville, Bradford or Barrie), all for the reason folks in this part of the country seem to accept a one-hour commute [on a good day] as the norm in either direction

You may find folks who live in the Beaches or the Eastern burbs who work not just in Toronto, commute to one of Oshawa, Oakville, Mississauga, Richmond Hill, even Newmarket.... its one of the daft things of living in Canada.

Just saying...
Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

On that point, my first post response to the OP was to show places other than the east-west corridor commute either along the lakeshore, or the 401 from Milton to Scarborough, Pickering or the other way round.

That's why I threw in Newmarket (and why not include Ancaster, Stouffville, Bradford or Barrie), all for the reason folks in this part of the country seem to accept a one-hour commute [on a good day] as the norm in either direction
If the job is in central Toronto and the OP intends to live beyond the end of the subway then I think only the Lakeshore corridor is a viable commute by public transit. There are GO train routes to other places but there are very few trains so you need a tightly regimented workplace to be able to use them.

Ms. Gerchikov's comments on Bloor West Village apply to the Beach (and the Danforth) as well. The good streets have lovely old houses not very far apart with drafty windows and leaky basements. The bad ones are in a squalid housing project built recently on a former race track where, as is usual for Canada, the streets are named for the thing bulldozed in order to throw it up. Northern Dancer is the name of one such street. The Beach has the added snag of being an anglo-Irish ghetto, you may as well move to West Hendon.

Leslieville is an old working class neighbourhood so the houses were once tiny but have been yuppified by bringing the karzi indoors and adding decks on every floor. It's common for houses there to have the bathroom tacked on behind the kitchen. I liked living there because it's the end of the line for many trams, going farther means catching specific ones, but mainly because it was cheap. It aint cheap no more.

not2old is right about the number of reverse commuters. I read somewhere that as many people commute out as in. From the Beach I mostly worked out of town so that meant lots of trips to the airport (difficult) but I also commuted to someplace up the DVP past the 401 (very slow), Ottawa (ok once you get to the 401), Guelph (awful most of the way, nearly impossible coming back when there was a sporting thing at the SkyDome), High Park (awful, a very smelly drive) and downtown. I would not live in the Beach if I didn't work there or downtown.

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 5th 2015 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

The OP may find the interactive map of Toronto useful

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD

as well as other related information

toronto.ca | Official website for the City of Toronto

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough

Hey there,

Thanks for the thoughts :thumb up:

We have decided to look further afield to Aurora and Newmarket. A 1hr commute is fine (husband has managed that and further just fine in the past).

Any thoughts on these areas?

Linz x

I'm getting rather excited now! 6 weeks till we move!
Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:53 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Check out SW Scarborough neighbourhoods close to the lake. Specifically:

Birchcliff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_Cliff
Cliffside https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliffside,_Toronto
Cliffcrrest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliffcrest

All commutable. all reasonably close to amenities but much more quiet suburban than the beaches, a high proportion of anglos + irish in the area, and best of all fantastic value because of the Scarborough stigma.

Originally Posted by the blairs
Hey there,

We have decided to look further afield to Aurora and Newmarket. A 1hr commute is fine (husband has managed that and further just fine in the past).

Linz x

I'm getting rather excited now! 6 weeks till we move!
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by the blairs
Hey there,

Newmarket in post #4 above

Aurora

Profile & Quick Facts

Demographics & Income

Our Shops | Aurora Shopping Centre

GOTransit.com - Stations and stops

Aurora | Local House Rentals in Ontario | Kijiji Classifieds
Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so for my earlier post, leaving the house to getting to work for those coming in from Oakville, Pickering or Newmarket, without delays, heart pacing runs, allow one hour commute ... is that OK?

40 minutes from leaving the house in the Beaches to union station, as long as there are zero breakdowns or delays on the TTC
There is a Go Train that is near Danfoth and Main or 'Upper Beaches" as it is now known.

If you can afford a house just south of Kingston Rd but at the top of the hill it would only be 5 to 10 minutes to scurry over on foot.

Other than that the OP really is down to living near the lake in either Oakville, Burlington or Port Credit.

West is best and all that.........

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 6th 2015 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:26 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

West is the same but more expensive- there fixed it for you

The three "cliff" neighbourhoods are all accessible to GO via Scarborough GO, one stop further out from the Danforth, though from Birchcliff you'd be more likely to bus up to Vic Park Subway. I do, anyhow.

Originally Posted by JamesM
There is a Go Train that is near Danfoth and Main or 'Upper Beaches" as it is now known.

If you can afford a house just south of Kingston Rd but at the top of the hill it would only be 5 to 10 minutes to scurry over on foot.

Other than that the OP really is down to living near the lake in either Oakville, Burlington or Port Credit.

West is best and all that.........
Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:29 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Plus most importantly there are a number of good pubs in the area. yes, a number, plural.

Many a BE poster would be glad of one decent option!
Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Plus most importantly there are a number of good pubs in the area. yes, a number, plural.

Many a BE poster would be glad of one decent option!
just for the curry & chips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.