Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparing Canada to USA

Comparing Canada to USA

Old May 29th 2006, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Comparing Canada to USA

Originally Posted by sysclp
You shouldn't have to make a special trip to somewhere so out of the way for something as common as cornmeal that you can get in any US grocery.
Cornmeal in different parts of the world is called "Polenta". No idea where that name comes from, but it's the same stuff. So it's possible that it may be labelled that by some manufacturers who distribute to different parts of Canada.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:54 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toppa
Cornmeal in different parts of the world is called "Polenta". No idea where that name comes from, but it's the same stuff. So it's possible that it may be labelled that by some manufacturers who distribute to different parts of Canada.
Beg to differ.
Polenta and Cornmeal are not identical
Old May 29th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OOPS I made a spelling mistake (I hope fishyguitar doesnt spot it )
Oh - forgot to mention: He couldn't spell "Asperger's" either! Bloody Teacher's eh? Guess I'll have to cane him, too.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Beg to differ.
Polenta and Cornmeal are not identical
Worlds apart. But either is reasonably available here.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Worlds apart. But either is reasonably available here.
I got my info from a recipe I have for making cornbread. It's says to use: cornmeal (polenta). That's how it appears in the recipe book. I have just checked my packet of polenta and in brackets it does say: Maize.

Perhaps from the way the recipe listed it, I naturally assumed it was one and the same thing. In anycase it makes very tasty cornbread.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:09 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toppa
Perhaps from the way the recipe listed it, I naturally assumed it was one and the same thing. [B]In anycase it makes very tasty cornbread[/B].
That I will agree with.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
There was an article in the Toronto Star recently about how hard it was to get decent Mexican food here. They interviewed the head of the Mexican Consulate and he said the only place here he could recommend was his house. :-)
Have you ever been to Mexico? It's hard to find decent Mexican food in the US too you know.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you ever been to Mexico? It's hard to find decent Mexican food in the US too you know.
Oh No it isnt!!!
US cuisine rocks, they have best examples of EVERY national cuisine!! That includes Mexican, French, Polish, Nigerian...... you name it!
Old May 29th 2006, 2:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh No it isnt!!!
US cuisine rocks, they have best examples of EVERY national cuisine!! That includes Mexican, French, Polish, Nigerian...... you name it!
Quite. But they're a bit poor on Iraqi cuisine these days.
Old May 29th 2006, 3:21 am
Banned

Quite. But they're a bit poor on Iraqi cuisine these days.
Nah they cook them Iraqis to perfection.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We're doing alright for Mexican now. Until recently a relative in Phoenix sent us peppers but now we've found a store in the Kensington market that has most ingredients. Restaurants are a problem, I don't understand that because there's no shortage of Mexican farm workers north of Toronto, I'd have thought one of them would be hustling tacos.

Roadside peanut vendors continue to be hard to find.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh No it isnt!!!
Except in Wisconsin, they don't have Canadian cuisine; few Americans have even heard of poutine.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:02 pm
Banned

Roadside peanut vendors continue to be hard to find.
What even in Boytown?

OOPs sorry misread that one...
Old May 29th 2006, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Except in Wisconsin, they don't have Canadian cuisine; few Americans have even heard of poutine.
My God this whole thread is so Canadian…. I don’t get me wrong I like living here but my god Canadians STOP comparing Canada to the USA in every other sentence arrrr
Old May 29th 2006, 4:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by celine_uk
My God this whole thread is so Canadian…. I don’t get me wrong I like living here but my god Canadians STOP comparing Canada to the USA in every other sentence arrrr
The thread was started by an immigrant in the USA!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.