Reload this Page >

Comparing Canada to USA

Comparing Canada to USA

Old May 26th 2006, 2:13 am
Just Joined

flix7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Comparing Canada to USA

Hello

I would like to ask if somebody can express his feelings about the subject, especially the poeple who lived in USA and moved to Canada and vice versa. I am and in USA and I am going to move to Canada, but I have never been there. How can you compare life in Canada to USA?

I will appreciate any information.

Thanks
Mario
Old May 26th 2006, 2:50 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing Canada to USA

Canada:
Far less fat kids/fat parents.
Snowmobiles and shopping carts may be a primary mode of transport.
Eh not huh.
Fewer serial killers.
Not so many people incarcerated per 100,000.
No death sentence.
Lack of 'all you can eat for $5' establishments.
5 per cent beer (versus 2.5 or 3 per cent cat pi$$).
No 'war on drugs' mania just the occasional apathetic PR campaign.
Iqualuit - the centre of the known universe and throbbing metropolis.
Secularism (versus rampant religious zealotism/apartheid).
We harbour terrorists but nobody really cares.
Western Canada's primary black export - Kootenay dope runs over the BC border.
We ship cannabis seeds by mail order/next day delivery to our southerly neighbour who is rampantly anti-drugs (see next).
Marc Emery - Amerika's public enemy $1 (and you thought it was some beardy Arabic terrorist dude).
We can point out our country on a map of the world.
We don't torture people.
A neutral foreign policy.
Politeness and civility - we say sorry when people step on our toes/shut the door in our face/we want to get past someone.
The Far East - in eastern Canada it's to the east, in western Canada it's to the west.
We're the second largest country - OK so Amerika will eventually be bigger when it absorbs Iraq and Iran.
We have eskimo's and igloos....Amerikans think we joke about that sh!t.

Rich.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Right on. Karma sent.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Flipant answer is that Canada is "USA Lite"

All the goodness of the US, but only 1% of the gun crime.

Its one of those impossible questins anyway, where in Canada vs where in the US, the are both pretty huge and diverse places

Canada in general has far more liberal politics, "liberal" is (mostly) not a dirty word here.

Colder in the winter than most of the US.

Better Beer
Old May 26th 2006, 5:33 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Better Beer
You jest.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:04 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
You jest.
They mean better cat piss. Don't hold it against them. They are nice people, after all.

If beer's your drink, then there's plenty of good stuff down here.
Old May 26th 2006, 8:29 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Its one of those impossible questins anyway, where in Canada vs where in the US, the are both pretty huge and diverse places
Iain is bang-on. Being from Vancouver Island, generally I feel I have much more in common, on a cultural level, with people from Washington, Oregon, Alaska (even California! ) etc than people from other parts of Canada.

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; May 26th 2006 at 8:41 am.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There is some good beer in Canada but generally I think better beer is available in the US. America has had quality beers long enough that former micros, such as Sam Adams and Fat Tire, now have wide distribution and aren't really micros anymore. I don't think there's an equivalent, widely distributed product in Canada, Keith's maybe, but off the beaten path in Canada there's rarely any sort of passable beer offered just X, Blue, Bud and Cinquante which are about the same as PBR, Milwaukee's Best, Bud and, well, nothings as bad as Cinquante.

The alcohol content is the same, btw, it's just measured differently.

Overall, I think Ontario is Ohio with healthcare. Alberta is like Texas. Newfoundland like West Virginia.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In my defense of the beer issue I was refering to the mainstream consumer Blue vs Bud level, not the microbrewery level. And alcohol content was factored in.

Given the choice I would rather be drinking english ale, but that wasnt the question.
Old May 26th 2006, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In my defense of the beer issue I was refering to the mainstream consumer Blue vs Bud level, not the microbrewery level. And alcohol content was factored in.

Given the choice I would rather be drinking english ale, but that wasnt the question.
My point is that Sam Adams and Fat Tire, for example, are mainstream consumer beers. Bars and convenience stores in Cheyenne Wyoming and Jackson Mississippi keep them. By constrast the choice of beer in remote corners of Canada is pretty grim, you can always get Bud and Blue or X but you can't get quality beer anything like as reliably as you can in the US.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians think they are totally different to americans, when in fact they share 99% similarities and are almost indistinguishable in English Canada, particularly to the untrained tourist. It's when you start speaking to them on issues that matter however, that you realise they are much different. After 4 years here and a year in the States, I can tell a difference in the accent now, too.

I would definitely agree there is actually a WIDER cultural difference between East and West than there is North-South!!

*Canadians talk about americans all the time, and like to loathe them.

*Americans don't talk about canadians, (barely realise they exist actually), and are quite indifferent on their feelings toward them.

my 2c.

Originally Posted by flix7
Hello

I would like to ask if somebody can express his feelings about the subject, especially the poeple who lived in USA and moved to Canada and vice versa. I am and in USA and I am going to move to Canada, but I have never been there. How can you compare life in Canada to USA?

I will appreciate any information.

Thanks
Mario
Old May 26th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

On my childhood trips from the Maritimes to the New England states we always found the meal portions substantially bigger in the US. My father also noted the American seagulls were bigger than ours. Other than that, I can't say we noticed a lot of differences. We did have a waitress once in New Hampshire who could tell we were from either NS or NL by our accents, while we could not hear any difference in the way we spoke and they way they did.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Canada:
Far less fat kids/fat parents.
Snowmobiles and shopping carts may be a primary mode of transport.
Eh not huh.
Fewer serial killers.
Not so many people incarcerated per 100,000.
No death sentence.
Lack of 'all you can eat for $5' establishments.
5 per cent beer (versus 2.5 or 3 per cent cat pi$$).
No 'war on drugs' mania just the occasional apathetic PR campaign.
Iqualuit - the centre of the known universe and throbbing metropolis.
Secularism (versus rampant religious zealotism/apartheid).
We harbour terrorists but nobody really cares.
Western Canada's primary black export - Kootenay dope runs over the BC border.
We ship cannabis seeds by mail order/next day delivery to our southerly neighbour who is rampantly anti-drugs (see next).
Marc Emery - Amerika's public enemy $1 (and you thought it was some beardy Arabic terrorist dude).
We can point out our country on a map of the world.
We don't torture people.
A neutral foreign policy.
Politeness and civility - we say sorry when people step on our toes/shut the door in our face/we want to get past someone.
The Far East - in eastern Canada it's to the east, in western Canada it's to the west.
We're the second largest country - OK so Amerika will eventually be bigger when it absorbs Iraq and Iran.
We have eskimo's and igloos....Amerikans think we joke about that sh!t.

Rich.
Yes Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world but really its not that large, you cant really live more than 400 km north of the US/Canadian border because its inhabitable, i.e. its hmmm ITS FROZEN lol to bloody cold to live up in the northwest territory Nunavut, I live in Toronto and my cold the winter is horrid but you learn to live with it and look forward to summer!
Old May 26th 2006, 2:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Yes Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world but really its not that large,
I beg to differ, you try walking from one side to the other then! Go on, even try driving from one side of Ontario to the other!
Old May 26th 2006, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but the _habitable_ portion of quebec alone, is multiple size of that of the entire UK. I still find it incredible that more than 1/3 of the trip back to the UK i am still over my own province. Plus we have 1/3 of the worlds fresh water, produce 1/3 of the worlds paper, and so on.... a lot to be smug about. How canadian is that.

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Yes Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world but really its not that large, you cant really live more than 400 km north of the US/Canadian border because its inhabitable, i.e. its hmmm ITS FROZEN lol to bloody cold to live up in the northwest territory Nunavut, I live in Toronto and my cold the winter is horrid but you learn to live with it and look forward to summer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.