Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comments on Vancouver

Comments on Vancouver

Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comments on Vancouver

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I agree. The hyping of vancouver by politicans and the media constantly talking about 'putting vancouver on the map' with 'world class' things, events, whatever is very irritating (it definitely used to wind me up). However you quickly learn to ignore it and just realize vancouver is what it is and there is nothing actually wrong with that.
They do rather and it is irritating.

If you don't have skis or a boat, Vancouver is bloody boring.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but I'm not sure I believe you You've seen no building or city-scape in your time as a pilot and thought that actually looks pretty amazing? I can understand a preference for mountains etc, but there must have been a city you liked flying into.
Nowadays it's the cultures that I find more interesting, never much admired buildings, art or stuff like that. Raffles maybe the exception, but it was more the atmosphere than anything else. Don't remember ever going somewhere and looking in awe at a building, but the Grand Canyon, Zion, Ayers Rock, Angel Falls, the wild open spaces and rivers of Canada are something else. Places like Stone Henge hold a mystique, the history of the cultures that occupied some of the older buildings hold an interest.

Airport lights were always a welcoming sight after a long trip. There have been times when I was thankful to find a bit of level asphalt (level anything actually). When I was younger perhaps I had a different perspective. Outlooks change with age and life experiences, what seemed important at one time can fade to mediocrity when one sees what is really important, Maybe that's what makes me a bit of a cynic.

I guess if I had to pick my favourite places Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, Sydney, Chicago. Most places I went to were cities, but even on a layover would venture out into the more rural areas or delve into some of the local history, if I had time.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:08 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

That's going to be sweet in the summer if it's south facing.
it is south facing, but i have windows all around so, see metrotown off to the east, downtown/ coal harbour to the south (although there are some buildings in the way), west van to the west and lions gate then all the mountains to the north west. WIll be hot in the summer though. Lots of natural light, even on a day like this.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
it is south facing, but i have windows all around so, see metrotown off to the east, downtown/ coal harbour to the south (although there are some buildings in the way), west van to the west and lions gate then all the mountains to the north west. WIll be hot in the summer though. Lots of natural light, even on a day like this.
If you have a balcony you can grow some tomatoes.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:26 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the mountains from my house just!!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:27 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I can see the mountains from my house just!!
I can see Winnipeg from my new place
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

supafly is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah vancouver is an awful place.. anyone thinking of coming here should definitely give it a miss.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Bikini bottom uk will become famous soon enoughBikini bottom uk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
from someone who's lived in Toronto, Halifax and Montreal.

- there aren't any black people

- it's not good for vice, there aren't any strip clubs, the few bars that there are close early

- it's great for access to the mountains and for sailing but it is always raining

- street food is ridiculously expensive, a sausage from a cart is $6.50, it's still $3.50 in Toronto

- the poor do badly here. It doesn't get cold but there are no services for people living rough.

Any truth to these?
Having been here 3 years from the UK and being Black....all true mate....but I think there is a good reason for the lack of BP....uummmm
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Bikini bottom uk will become famous soon enoughBikini bottom uk will become famous soon enough

Interesting, never knew that. Not sure why there isn't a larger black community here.
Ohh DB...don't get me started, we can have a very long conversation on that subject. After being here for a while..I can see why.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Bikini bottom uk
Ohh DB...don't get me started, we can have a very long conversation on that subject. After being here for a while..I can see why.
there are also very few latinos here too.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

strength is on a distinguished road

why did you leave the other cities that have sufficient numbers of blacks. Been thinking about all the 3 cities you live in as well as saskatoon. pm me
Old Dec 24th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bikini bottom uk
Having been here 3 years from the UK and being Black....all true mate....but I think there is a good reason for the lack of BP....uummmm
there are also very few latinos here too.
Evidently, you have your reasons and experiences and I'm not going to disagree with you, but there are more historical/regional reasons too, I think. Most N.W USA states i.e Washington, Oregon, Idaho don't have many black people either. BC is pretty isolated from the larger E.Canada black communities. Caribbean people tend to be drawn where established communities are i.e Toronto. Haitians are drawn to Quebec for language reasons. Not many black people in AB, SK, MB etc either. Sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience here, maybe it's better in Toronto ?

I have noticed an increasing number of latinos here in Vancouver over the last year or two, although still a relatively small number. Obviously CIC noticed it too and imposed a visa regime on Mexico !!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 6:16 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Evidently, you have your reasons and experiences and I'm not going to disagree with you, but there are more historical/regional reasons too, I think. Most N.W USA states i.e Washington, Oregon, Idaho don't have many black people either. BC is pretty isolated from the larger E.Canada black communities. Caribbean people tend to be drawn where established communities are i.e Toronto. Haitians are drawn to Quebec for language reasons. Not many black people in AB, SK, MB etc either. Sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience here, maybe it's better in Toronto ?

I have noticed an increasing number of latinos here in Vancouver over the last year or two, although still a relatively small number. Obviously CIC noticed it too and imposed a visa regime on Mexico !!
Blacks in TO make up 8.4% of the population, in Portland 6.6%. IMO not really a substantial difference.
in fact in Seattle its 7.8% so hardly any difference at all
Old Dec 24th 2009, 6:37 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hm - odd - most of the peeps I am working with are Latino or Latino in heritage . .
Old Dec 24th 2009, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by brizzle

I've had a couple of investigations lately, where we had to find spanish speaking members to assist, still pretty rare though, Mandarin and Cantonese is much more of an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.