Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming to Canada - dream over?

Originally Posted by Tangram
I do not have a cut glass accent.
If you still sound like a true scouser der wack den it's a break glass aksent norra cut glaws won.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005

1 - The stats say otherwise. Most immigrants never catch up with their local peers; and this is especially so for those with higher education. You can verify this on stats canada's website.
Bloody right 'en all.
Put the boot on the other foot an pretend you were back in the UK, would you want some newly landed 'fresh off the boat' immigrant coming into the workplace on a higher salary than you? Or even worse, as your Boss?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Danny B
Bloody right 'en all.
Put the boot on the other foot an pretend you were back in the UK, would you want some newly landed 'fresh off the boat' immigrant coming into the workplace on a higher salary than you? Or even worse, as your Boss?
I'd have no complaints if they had more experience and were generally better qualified. But I know the point you are making.

Might the 'stats' that Alan quotes from be distorted by many immigrants from non-English speaking countries that arrive with basic or no English, and also those with qualifications that don't directly transfer without retraining (e.g. Doctors)?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think you are generalizing your experience here.
I wasn't trying to - I was responding to a specific post that said there was no point in moving unless there was a good well paid job on offer.

1 - The stats say otherwise. Most immigrants never catch up with their local peers; and this is especially so for those with higher education. You can verify this on stats canada's website.
No need - I don't dispute it. However, for a British Expat I think a five year hit is a reasonable expectation. And there are always opportunities that come your way from time to time. Sometimes you have to see them for what they are.

2 - There are large sectors of industry that are just not hiring at all, or hiring very few (EA just laid off a bunch of people for instance). Blaming peoples attitude for not finding a job is almost certainly way off the mark for the majority.
It is not a question of blaming someones attitude, more their expectations. It is a question of motivation. If the motivation is material or career gain then Canada is tough gig at the moment. If the motivation is to live in Canada come what may then most people will find a way to make it happen. It may not be pretty right now but it can be done.

I don't blame anyone who it trying to do their best for their career or bank balance. It is a perfectly reasonable thing. However, a new immigrant from the UK expecting to land a more senior job with more money than they were earning needs a reality check.

3 - I think you are over optimistic on the economy - short term you might be right, medium to long term there is still too much debt out there. (that's a whole topic on it's own though).
As you say, another argument for another time.

As I said in an earlier post, it's very easy for people that came and found work to judge those who have not and blame them for their misfortune
Attitude is important in finding a good job. If someone has an attitude that they will not accept Canadian ways, or that they are only here for the money, that is their prerogative but it is going make finding a job all that more difficult. Telling someone that is helping them, not blaming them.

And for the people who's motivation in moving to Canada is not to amass wealth or climb the corporate ladder it is only fair to tell than it can be done, even in the middle of a recession, if they are prepared to make the sacrifices and compromises that are needed.

but that really is rush limbaugh thinking.
The first, and probably the last, time I've been accused of that!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I wasn't trying to - I was responding to a specific post that said there was no point in moving unless there was a good well paid job on offer.

No need - I don't dispute it. However, for a British Expat I think a five year hit is a reasonable expectation. And there are always opportunities that come your way from time to time. Sometimes you have to see them for what they are.

It is not a question of blaming someones attitude, more their expectations. It is a question of motivation. If the motivation is material or career gain then Canada is tough gig at the moment. If the motivation is to live in Canada come what may then most people will find a way to make it happen. It may not be pretty right now but it can be done.

I don't blame anyone who it trying to do their best for their career or bank balance. It is a perfectly reasonable thing. However, a new immigrant from the UK expecting to land a more senior job with more money than they were earning needs a reality check.

As you say, another argument for another time.

Attitude is important in finding a good job. If someone has an attitude that they will not accept Canadian ways, or that they are only here for the money, that is their prerogative but it is going make finding a job all that more difficult. Telling someone that is helping them, not blaming them.

And for the people who's motivation in moving to Canada is not to amass wealth or climb the corporate ladder it is only fair to tell than it can be done, even in the middle of a recession, if they are prepared to make the sacrifices and compromises that are needed.

The first, and probably the last, time I've been accused of that!
I think you are right that people will come with a set of expectations and very often they feel let down - especially as for many the day of landing is a real high point. Everyone has a bit of adjusting to do, but I have real sympathy for those that are making the adjustment and struggling to find work at the same time. Essentially the more stories I read like this on here the more relieved I am; especially as I know that if my timing had been even a few months later I would be in the same boat.

As for career aspirations. Does anybody immigrating to Canada really have those (especially those coming west); opportunities to climb the corporate ladder aren't exactly extensive around here as far as I can tell.

(and the rush limbaugh comment was a bit tongue in cheek as iaink accused somebody of it on the 800,000 starving canadians thread)
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

thewesties is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you've help me make my mind up reading this!

I've been studing Credit Mangement for 18 months hoping the qualifications will help!

I am getting right on to enrol on the Credit Instutes of Canada's next deadline for 25 November to start on their and abandon the english curiculum!

Looks like I need all the help I can get eh!

Lets hope the ask for my medicals soon, so I can take the exam when we get out there!

Wishing everyone one a little hope and a light at the end of your tunnels! x
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:00 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thewesties
Well you've help me make my mind up reading this!

I've been studing Credit Mangement for 18 months hoping the qualifications will help!

I am getting right on to enrol on the Credit Instutes of Canada's next deadline for 25 November to start on their and abandon the english curiculum!

Looks like I need all the help I can get eh!

Lets hope the ask for my medicals soon, so I can take the exam when we get out there!

Wishing everyone one a little hope and a light at the end of your tunnels! x
If it makes any difference, I was hired by a financial institution off the street without knowing anyone in the company or "networking" as some folks seem to call it. I was born here in Canada.

Someone mentioned about adapting ones methods to those of Canada. If you are applying for a job in Canada (or any other country for that matter) adapting to the local ways make sense doesn't it?. Complaining about the methods here is the same as me immigrating to the UK and expecting the British to forget their ways and do things my way.

My advice for those in Canada looking for a specific job is to visit those companies in person and deliver your resume in person rather than sending an email. Mass emails are viewed as not much more than spam in many cases. When you are meeting a prospective employer or having an interview,.... SMILE .... act positive, upbeat and confident. Tell them why they should pay you.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:00 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader

When you are meeting a prospective employer or having an interview,.... SMILE .... act positive, upbeat and confident. Tell them why they should pay you....
....and most importantly of all, be Canadian.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:23 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
....and most importantly of all, be Canadian.
and don't act like a whiner.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
If there's one thing that stinks, I think it's your attitude.
Sorry, but if you've not got a job, there's something you're not doing right. Plenty of people have come over and got themselves jobs; plenty of people still are.
Change your attitude and you might have better luck.
So 16% of the American workforce just have stinking attitudes? Nice.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kiton6
"Overall employment process in Canada sucks big style"... in comparison to what?
BRITAIN
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brizzle
No, I'm not comfortable attempting to network with complete strangers, with the sole motive of trying to secure a job. If I knew loads of people and it was that easy to set myself up, I'd wouldn't complain for sure. Maybe, I'm just more comfortable with some old fashioned notion of employing the best qualified person for the job, rather than some friend of my cousins.
You are a genius. I wish I could have put it so well myself. This is why I find it difficult in Canada. Because I feel making friends to advance my career is just bloody awful. I have swiped many many people from my linked in account because I've tried to help people who then go incommunicado when they don't need my help any more. I think this is a cultural thing. But putting cultural differences aside, I'm not sure I'm going to change to be like this as it's just shallow, self-obsessed and rude.

Canada is swamped with people making superficial connections which are meaningless other than for advancing themselves. Britain is NOWHERE NEAR THIS BAD. And here is the problem. You either lower yourself to be like them. Or you fail. This is a moral dilemma. I have mouths to feed but I also have principles.

And yes why does everyone hire their best mate or people in their network? It's probably why Canada has such a high turnover of people in jobs. Also why skilled professionals end up feeling like they're being short changed. Yet I've been far from impressed with Canada's offering in my field. Truth is they'd rather hire from their facebook network than choose the right person for the job. Pathetic really
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trouncer
Just for the record I do pick up the phone. Many times (but not all the time) I just end up speaking to automated voice systems or voice mail where I always leave a message asking if they could ring me back or that I will ring them later (which I do to the same result). I have also tried going to the company only to be brick-walled by the receptionist that any enquiries about vacancies need to be addressed or sent via there website. I rang a company only yesterday just to 'confirm' if they'd received my resume from a week ago and she refused to put me through to HR and to say they don't reveal such information ! I'm just asking for confirmation for christs sake ! Anyway, I do understand what you're saying about attitude and I do intend to keep trying, reviewing and pesisting. I'm not moaning, just frustrated.
Got to agree with you there trouncer, the exact same has happened to me....when I do ring companies I can never get thro to anyone of any relvance, and thats if im lucky, more often than not its automated answering system where you leave a message on the relavant person's voice mail, only for them to never return your call, and many emails are never acknowledged. So I can definitely empathise with you and the OP, but just have to keep trying Im here now, it cant stay like this for ever surely!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Got to agree with you there trouncer, the exact same has happened to me....when I do ring companies I can never get thro to anyone of any relvance, and thats if im lucky, more often than not its automated answering system where you leave a message on the relavant person's voice mail, only for them to never return your call, and many emails are never acknowledged. So I can definitely empathise with you and the OP, but just have to keep trying Im here now, it cant stay like this for ever surely!
I've had this problem in the UK. The key is getting past the gate keeper. Try your best to get hold of actual names of people - that way you can ask the receptionist (etc) directly for the person rather than saying it is about a job position.

Last edited by bodgerx; Nov 22nd 2009 at 12:36 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:34 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
You are a genius. I wish I could have put it so well myself. This is why I find it difficult in Canada. Because I feel making friends to advance my career is just bloody awful. I have swiped many many people from my linked in account because I've tried to help people who then go incommunicado when they don't need my help any more. I think this is a cultural thing. But putting cultural differences aside, I'm not sure I'm going to change to be like this as it's just shallow, self-obsessed and rude.

Canada is swamped with people making superficial connections which are meaningless other than for advancing themselves. Britain is NOWHERE NEAR THIS BAD. And here is the problem. You either lower yourself to be like them. Or you fail. This is a moral dilemma. I have mouths to feed but I also have principles.

And yes why does everyone hire their best mate or people in their network? It's probably why Canada has such a high turnover of people in jobs. Also why skilled professionals end up feeling like they're being short changed. Yet I've been far from impressed with Canada's offering in my field. Truth is they'd rather hire from their facebook network than choose the right person for the job. Pathetic really
I agree that this exists , but I doubt it is has prevalent has you would suggest. In my past career (gaming) I never found this at all and the gaming industry here is small. I was hired as a general manager with only a year here. I have also found that it's not the case in law enforcement. Due to the Citizenship requirement and the fact that there are very few expats, you'd expect Brits would have a tough time - I've excelled in my career and I'm in charge of a major crime unit. I have never had to 'network'

You are starting to come across as bitter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.