Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

...hmm... is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to Canada - dream over?

Well as the title says, is the dream over?

My family are keen to come over (still in UK) but what's the point, no jobs or anything so can't survive. Currently been here looking and there is nothing out there.

I did everything in the guides, applied from the UK and no joy, even got PR this year and not as much as a sniff of anything. Tried every trick and they're all dead ends, not being horrible but the employment methods in Canada stink, its who you know and not what you can do, jobs for the boys, nepotism etc are the real deals. I envy those of you who have succeeded, shame I can't sell my PR!

So it looks like I'll have to head back to 'sunny' UK, oh well :-(
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

FraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coming to Canada - dream over?

What line if work are you in? Where in Canada are you looking?, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:25 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ...hmm...

My family are keen to come over (still in UK) but what's the point, no jobs or anything so can't survive. Currently been here looking and there is nothing out there.

I did everything in the guides, applied from the UK and no joy, even got PR this year and not as much as a sniff of anything. Tried every trick and they're all dead ends, not being horrible but the employment methods in Canada stink, its who you know and not what you can do, jobs for the boys, nepotism etc are the real deals. I envy those of you who have succeeded, shame I can't sell my PR!

Can you try a different bit of Canada - it is tough. Best of luck.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking for what sort of job?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 20th 2009 at 10:25 pm. Reason: oops, cross post
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments so far.

Background is in technical operations, oil&gas, utilities, mainly operational management.

Was looking Alberta.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments so far.

Background is in technical operations, oil&gas, utilities, mainly operational management.

Was looking Alberta.
Poor choice going forward.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-energy-agency
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

The oil/gas industry is slowly starting to pick up - try contacting the drilling companies such as Akita (they are huge and have just landed a big contract with one of the worlds biggest mining companies!) Good luck.

(ps they are based in AB - most of them are in or around Calgary / Edmonton)
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:46 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

...not being horrible but the employment methods in Canada stink, its who you know and not what you can do, jobs for the boys, nepotism etc are the real deals.
Maybe that's the case in some sectors, but my experience has been just the same as the UK - see a job, send in resume, interview and get hired. Sorry to hear you've found it a struggle.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Try Newfoundland. Oil industry still booming here.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
Maybe that's the case in some sectors, but my experience has been just the same as the UK - see a job, send in resume, interview and get hired. Sorry to hear you've found it a struggle.
Good for you. My experience: I would have got exactly the same response, had I just put my resume in the bin rather than sending it
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Try Newfoundland. Oil industry still booming here.
Booming ?? We are limping along just now - until Hebron kicks in it will continue to limp

Alberta is slowly coming back , the days of just needing a pulse to get a well paid job are gone for now but things are picking up
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:26 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

If there's one thing that stinks, I think it's your attitude.
Sorry, but if you've not got a job, there's something you're not doing right. Plenty of people have come over and got themselves jobs; plenty of people still are.
Change your attitude and you might have better luck.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:35 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If a job can be filled without advertising, why bother wasting time and money advertising.

Getting a job is about pounding the pavement and meeting people, being in the right place at the right time. Fortunately I did not have to job hunt too frequently, and jobs were not hard to get. It is a lot tougher to get into the airline industry now, just economics not bias. Employers can be more fussy as there is no shortage of applicants.

For many it takes time, how long have you been trying. Many have to take jobs they would not ordinarily take from choice to survive and look for something better, sometimes it may take a few years.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
If there's one thing that stinks, I think it's your attitude.
Sorry, but if you've not got a job, there's something you're not doing right. Plenty of people have come over and got themselves jobs; plenty of people still are.
Change your attitude and you might have better luck.
To a certain extent I agree with this post.

You need to keep going and stay positive, the self deprecating sarcasm/negativity of Brits is lost on most Canadians.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:40 am
Just Joined

I'm sorry Jericho if I've offended you with my 'attitude'

As a person I am open to any opportunity and have a set of skills and experiences that when I first started to look for work out here had many people saying that I'd have no issue getting a good job. Amazingly those threads have dried up completely.

I agree some people are still getting work etc and you have to work hard at it. A change of my attitude isn't the need, its more the opportunities opening up and so far there is nothing. Ok maybe my assessment of the Canadian recruitment system was hard but its my perspective, if you do not agree with my sentiments, I respect you for that.

All I can say is I'm at a hell of a low point and quite upset that my failure to secure work affects my family's dreams of a new life out here and please if you are making remarks about my attitude, know me first. I don't appreciate being kicked in the nuts when I feel this low but as a fair person I respect your opinion but do not like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.