Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

College of Alberta Psychologists Advice and Experiences

College of Alberta Psychologists Advice and Experiences

Old Feb 29th 2024, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

MrsT13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default College of Alberta Psychologists Advice and Experiences

Hi, I have applied to College of Alberta Psychologists (CAP) to have my academic credentials evaluated. I have a BSc (hons) in Psychology, MSc Applied Psychology and PG Dip in CBT. I have provided transcripts, module handbooks & instructor credentials (for core modules). I wondered does anyone have previous experiences or advice they could share?
I am concerned if CAP will not approve which will be hugely frustrating as I work currently as a Psychological Therapist for NHS and attended accredited universities. I also have a job offer waiting for me in Alberta! So need to do all I can!!!

many thanks
MrsT
Old Mar 1st 2024, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: College of Alberta Psychologists Advice and Experiences

Originally Posted by MrsT13
Hi, I have applied to College of Alberta Psychologists (CAP) to have my academic credentials evaluated. I have a BSc (hons) in Psychology, MSc Applied Psychology and PG Dip in CBT. I have provided transcripts, module handbooks & instructor credentials (for core modules). I wondered does anyone have previous experiences or advice they could share?
I am concerned if CAP will not approve which will be hugely frustrating as I work currently as a Psychological Therapist for NHS and attended accredited universities. I also have a job offer waiting for me in Alberta! So need to do all I can!!!

many thanks
MrsT
Does the job offer state you have to have certification with CAP? If not, you may be better suited to applying to ACTA. Alberta are currently going through the process of regulating counselling therapists, and those certified with ACTA will be auto-ported to full accreditation when it is proclaimed by the provincial government. I’d have thought CAP was the equivalent of the BPS here in the UK which requires a doctorate?
Old Mar 1st 2024, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes the job offer is for a Psychologist post which requires registration with CAP.
From what I understand in Alberta there are two distinctions in advertised psychology jobs:
Psychologist 1 requires Masters
Psychologist 2 or Clinical Psychologist requires PhD

I agree that CAP seem to be equivalent of BPS but the variation is in how different psychology degrees are recognised. Currently my job title is Psychological Therapist in the NHS, a Psychologist 1 post is pretty much the same job with a slightly different title.

If I have misunderstood any of this I would greatly appreciate further advice.
Thanks
MrsT
Old Mar 2nd 2024, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsT13
Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes the job offer is for a Psychologist post which requires registration with CAP.
From what I understand in Alberta there are two distinctions in advertised psychology jobs:
Psychologist 1 requires Masters
Psychologist 2 or Clinical Psychologist requires PhD

I agree that CAP seem to be equivalent of BPS but the variation is in how different psychology degrees are recognised. Currently my job title is Psychological Therapist in the NHS, a Psychologist 1 post is pretty much the same job with a slightly different title.

If I have misunderstood any of this I would greatly appreciate further advice.
Thanks
MrsT
From what you say, it sounds like you have everything in place. I wasn’t aware of the distinction between the two forms of Psychologist. I’ve just briefly looked at the guidance on internationally trained psychologist and it appears that you have a strong application. The fact that you also have a job offer is reassuring, as they like what you have to offer. I guess you’re just a little nervous whilst waiting?
Old Mar 3rd 2024, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Just read this which is pertinent - https://globalnews.ca/news/10330596/...n-changes/amp/
Perhaps there’ll be further distinctions incoming?
Old Mar 3rd 2024, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing this, it definitely seems relevant.
I am nervous that my qualifications won’t be recognised and I am back to square one - I am going to try some radical acceptance of the uncertainty 😝 and wait to see what CAP advise 🤞🤞🤞
My main concern is they will want instructor credentials for the substantive modules which I’m not sure I can provide since I completed my MSc 12 years ago! I managed to get the instructor credentials & handbooks for the core modules but that was tricky enough.
It is definitely a stressful process - which I am trying to normalise by reminding myself professional licensing usually is and so it should be to ensure standards are met!

I really appreciate your thoughts and advice on this ☺️
Mrs T