Reload this Page >

Cost of Living

Cost of Living

Old Jan 30th 2024, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Philg87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living

Hi all,

I am interested in moving over to Canada. However my wife has queries over the cost of living.

Is anybody able to offer any advice on the cost of living.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Old Jan 30th 2024, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Philg87
Hi all,

I am interested in moving over to Canada. However my wife has queries over the cost of living.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Are you moving from the UK or somewhere else? A lot will depend on whereabouts you are going to (and where you're coming from). If you have a hunt around you'll find lots of threads with useful info in, there's a very long running thread about Groceries in The Maple Leaf which is a good place to start - obviously only look at recent posts in that thread though as the cost of everything has gone up recently, same as everywhere else in the world, so the older posts will be very out of date.

I'd look at visas as the first step and see if you would be able to move, if so then do a bit of research on your likely salaries in the area you want to move to (use the JobBank website for averages across each province), and then you can work out if you that would be enough to give you a decent life in Canada.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 30th 2024 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Welcome to BE.

It very much depends on where you want to live. Anywhere in the Toronto or Vancouver area is outrageously expensive. As Christmasoompa stated above, your first step should be finding out if you are eligible for a visa.

Old Feb 3rd 2024, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

If you are considering Nova Scotia it has also become fairly outrageous. We are considering a move to Ontario and have noted that the rentals are on a par in places like Guelph and London with Halifax, which has a much smaller economy, less earning power (outside of public service) and higher taxes. A quick calculation shows you that you can retain about $3k more in taxes on $60k, for example, in Ontario compared to here. House prices in NS, given that they are glorified garden sheds, are ridiculous. Go to Reddit Halifax to see some of the discussions on the cost of living here.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 6:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
If you are considering Nova Scotia it has also become fairly outrageous. We are considering a move to Ontario...House prices in NS, given that they are glorified garden sheds, are ridiculous...
That's odd. I'm constantly reading how people are moving in this direction from Ontario, pushing up housing costs here but still much less than there.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 6:18 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Phil
You might find Numbeo informative - Cost Of Living Comparison (numbeo.com)
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
You might find Numbeo informative - Cost Of Living Comparison (numbeo.com)
I never have
Old Feb 4th 2024, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep Numbeo is all based on user submitted data so often out of date and inaccurate.

Cost of living is basically the #1 political issue in Canada right now, alongside housing costs (which are a huge part of the cost of living problem). Rents have basically doubled in the past decade while wages have only increased slightly, and in the past 3-4 years groceries have gone up around 25-50% too due to inflation.

It’s possible to get by in Canada, and still do alright if you can manage a household income of $125k-$175k if you have an in demand profession, but for those without experience working in Canada it can be very hard to earn anything close to that.
Old Feb 5th 2024, 4:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
. House prices in NS, given that they are glorified garden sheds, are ridiculous. Go to Reddit Halifax to see some of the discussions on the cost of living here.
Why are Halifax houses, in particular, "glorified garden sheds"? If you mean because they are wooden, constructed largely from 2x6 framing, plywood or OSB sheathing and vinyl or wooden siding outside then that's pretty much true for all of Canada.
Old Feb 5th 2024, 5:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

It’s possible to get by in Canada, and still do alright if you can manage a household income of $125k-$175k if you have an in demand profession, but for those without experience working in Canada it can be very hard to earn anything close to that.
I can remember when $60k was the "doable but not not much in the way of luxuries"
But it depends on many variables.

When it was $60k our family of two adults plus two teens had around $15k net.
People used to say "yes but you have no mortgage" which was true enough but ignored the fact that it didn't mean free housing; Buildings insurance, property tax and water can still be a hefty chunk.
I remember calculating that something like another $500 a month - $6000 a year - would have provided adequate rental accommodation, so $21k would have seen us okay.
Net income, of course, but well short of the net income that $60k gross would have given.

I find something similar now. The figures are different obviously, but a similar formula to adjust for the difference between rental costs and owner occupied costs, leaving us as financially well placed as now would see us with $67k net.
That looks about $95000 gross

I find it similar to the discussions in the UK where there's a Visa requirement of, what is it, income £38k and people say "it's not that much" seemingly unaware that 75% of the population earns less.

Average Canadian household income is $98k. Alberta is alone in being the only province where it's higher than $100k.

For some reason Brits need a higher amount to live on than Canadians
Old Feb 5th 2024, 5:10 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Why are Halifax houses, in particular, "glorified garden sheds"? If you mean because they are wooden, constructed largely from 2x6 framing, plywood or OSB sheathing and vinyl or wooden siding outside then that's pretty much true for all of Canada.

And they survive all kinds of weather extremes. It's as if Canadians knew what they were doing.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can remember when $60k was the "doable but not not much in the way of luxuries"
But it depends on many variables.

When it was $60k our family of two adults plus two teens had around $15k net.
People used to say "yes but you have no mortgage" which was true enough but ignored the fact that it didn't mean free housing; Buildings insurance, property tax and water can still be a hefty chunk.
I remember calculating that something like another $500 a month - $6000 a year - would have provided adequate rental accommodation, so $21k would have seen us okay.
Net income, of course, but well short of the net income that $60k gross would have given.

I find something similar now. The figures are different obviously, but a similar formula to adjust for the difference between rental costs and owner occupied costs, leaving us as financially well placed as now would see us with $67k net.
That looks about $95000 gross

I find it similar to the discussions in the UK where there's a Visa requirement of, what is it, income £38k and people say "it's not that much" seemingly unaware that 75% of the population earns less.

Average Canadian household income is $98k. Alberta is alone in being the only province where it's higher than $100k.

For some reason Brits need a higher amount to live on than Canadians
As an integral part of my job, I get to see how those living in Canada are actually living day-to-day. It is not a pretty sight. With the exception of public sector workers, few have any form of retirement savings and most have eye-watering amounts of debt, particularly those on higher incomes. I dread to think what is going to happen in 20 or so years time, when they have to retire.

Of all the couples that I have dealt with, perhaps 3 of them looked like they were going to be able to retire. The rest appear as though they will be working until they die and won't be leaving much to the beneficiaries of their estates.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

MooseFM is an unknown quantity at this point

Another perspective is finding a job, all Canadian employee's seem transfixed on anyone, who may have top qualification, but if you don't have this "Canadian experience" you won't even get replies !!
Old Feb 7th 2024, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MooseFM
Another perspective is finding a job, all Canadian employee's seem transfixed on anyone, who may have top qualification, but if you don't have this "Canadian experience" you won't even get replies !!
I think I get the gist of what you are saying, but are you talking about employees or employers?
Assuming you mean employers, it is not so that all employers will not entertain someone without 'Canadian experience'. For the brief time I was an employee, I had several job offers before arriving in Canada with zero Canadian experience. As an employer, I don't give a hoot where an employee has experience is from. There is a labour shortage and getting a job is not that hard for those who want to work. Although the pay scale may not be too their liking always. I was working for way under what I got in the UK for several years. It was a means to an end. There are some industries that North American experience is a distinct asset, however there are many where it makes little to no difference.
Employers in North America, rarely (if ever) respond to applicants who have not been invited for an interview. Often they don't follow up on interviewees who were unsuccessful. It may seem odd, or even rude, but this is the way it is and locals accept it as normal. There is no way to know the reason someone is not invited for an interview, or offered a job, unless the employer tells them (which likley they won't). Too many folks get over sensitive to the no 'Canadian experience'.
Old Feb 7th 2024, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

MooseFM is an unknown quantity at this point

Understand some of your comments, I was basing my post on the fact that last year we had friends who came over on ETA which allows them to look for work under a Government scheme during Covid which allowed ETA visitors to look for work. This scheme was extended till end of this year. One applied for 82 jobs, not one reply, the other applied for 68 jobs, not one reply despite the Covid ETA being explained. Another family member, 25 yrs + in the finance world, Master's degree etc etc, 18 months to find a job with some of the top Banks just ignoring her applications.....

I am only saying that the country needs good hard workers and we are missing these people due to this "Canadian experience" but good to hear as you say, you dont mind where potential employees have that experience as long as its relevant.

Both friends went back to the UK very disappointed as they both had degree's in HR etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.