Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Old Jan 17th 2021, 9:47 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 19
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Hi All,

After getting my head around the process of supporting my Wife to work in BC as a Nurse and looking at the various visa options, it's now time for me to start thinking about my options for work in BC. In the UK, I am currently working as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist in a Primary Care IAPT service. I have a masters degree in High Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and am registered with the BABCP.

From what I gather, counselling/psychotherapy is unregulated in Canada but there are some voluntary bodies with whom you can register, such as the CCPA. I've looked at a number of job adverts and the title of 'Cognitive Behavioural Therapist' doesn't seem to exist in Canada. The CCPA have said that they will use the generic term 'Counsellor' when referring to anyone practising Psychotherapy.

My question is; has anyone on here taken a similar path to mine and would they be happy to share their experience? Psychotherapy must be one of the only unregulated professions in Canada as everything else seems to be! So from that aspect, it shouldn't be too difficult for me to have my qualifications looked at and then make an application to one of the voluntary bodies but it's the job hunt that I'm having difficulty navigating. and not knowing what to search/look for. Interestingly, I've seen adverts for Social Workers to practice therapy in some adverts - something which I don't think is the norm in the UK. My research has shown that CBT is widely used in Canada.

Any help would be most welcome.

Best Wishes,

Michael
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2021, 5:13 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,911
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Psychologists (which is the profession that will come up in any search on jobbank for CBT are regulated.. https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ements/2218/ca

With a bit of digging I've come up with these potential jobs titles - see if any work for what you do, click on the various tabs to see requirements for working and registration / education / jobs etc., Registered Clinical Counsellor or Mental Health Counsellor or Behavioural Therapist
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2254/ca
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2271/ca
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2238/ca
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2228/ca

You may want to apply for certification if you want to practice / have clients (you'll need to get your qualifications checked to do so).
https://www.ccpa-accp.ca/membership/certification/
Only counsellors who are certified by CCPA are permitted to use the trademarked title Canadian Certified Counsellor and/or the acronym ‘CCC’. Certified Professional Members also receive a certificate which their clients should expect to see displayed at the place of work.
This article (help file for those seeking it) might be of use: https://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/visions...ealth-problems
and this one for those seeking a CBT practitioner - you can check out the certifications / qualifications etc., each practitioner has, which may help to find a pathway
https://counsellingbc.com/counsellor...herapy-cbt-191
You may need to register > https://bc-counsellors.org/
We do have another member who went through this a year or so ago.. hopefully he will see your post!

Something to be going on with anyway - hope it's of some help

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 17th 2021 at 5:37 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2021, 6:00 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 2
ems_the_dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Hi,

In addition to the post above, I've found that the title "Clinical Therapist'' might also be a good fit for your skills.
Just for background, I'm an RMN with postgraduate training in Psychotherapy and BSc in Psychology. I saw that your wife is also an RMN, has she considered a therapy based Masters to avoid the rigmarole of converting?
ems_the_dreamer is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2021, 6:13 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 19
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Psychologists (which is the profession that will come up in any search on jobbank for CBT are regulated.. https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ements/2218/ca

With a bit of digging I've come up with these potential jobs titles - see if any work for what you do, click on the various tabs to see requirements for working and registration / education / jobs etc., Registered Clinical Counsellor or Mental Health Counsellor or Behavioural Therapist
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2254/ca
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2271/ca
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2238/ca
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/2228/ca

You may want to apply for certification if you want to practice / have clients (you'll need to get your qualifications checked to do so).
https://www.ccpa-accp.ca/membership/certification/


This article (help file for those seeking it) might be of use: https://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/visions...ealth-problems
and this one for those seeking a CBT practitioner - you can check out the certifications / qualifications etc., each practitioner has, which may help to find a pathway
https://counsellingbc.com/counsellor...herapy-cbt-191
You may need to register > https://bc-counsellors.org/
We do have another member who went through this a year or so ago.. hopefully he will see your post!

Something to be going on with anyway - hope it's of some help
Many thanks for your advice once again, Siouxie

I think I fit within NOC 4153 - Family, marriage and other related counsellors. Anything with 'Psychologist' in the title will, as you say, require a doctorate qualification.

I think titles such as 'Clinical Counsellor', 'Registered Clinical Counsellor', Mental Health Counsellor' are closest to what I currently do. Some ask for registration with CCPA which gives the title Canadian Clinical Counsellor (C.C.C) and others ask for registration with BCACC which gives the title Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC). I just don't understand the difference and whether one title is aimed at a certain type of therapist. I have contacted both organisations and requested further info. I certainly think I meet the requirements for registration with CCPA but uncertain re BCACC as they ask for experience in family therapy (not something I have).

I have no desire to practice privately, preferring the certainty of a salary and accompanying benefits. I've also contacted Interior Health Authority for further info and will report back.
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2021, 6:20 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 19
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Originally Posted by ems_the_dreamer View Post
Hi,

In addition to the post above, I've found that the title "Clinical Therapist'' might also be a good fit for your skills.
Just for background, I'm an RMN with postgraduate training in Psychotherapy and BSc in Psychology. I saw that your wife is also an RMN, has she considered a therapy based Masters to avoid the rigmarole of converting?
Hi ems,

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, that's another title to add to my list!

Re my Wife's situation, we're relying on her status as an RMN to gain a visa through the BC PNP Healthcare route. I've been in-touch with Healthmatch BC whom seem fairly confident that she shouldn't have to do a bridging programme or re-sit her degree. And from what I've read, as RMN's are trained and assessed in their own right, the competencies compared side-by-side for Canadian and UK-trained RMN's *appears* comparable. My hope is that she may need to sit one or two modules, if any at all. Do you have any experience in this area? Have you made the move?

Best Wishes,

Michael
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2021, 7:43 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 2
ems_the_dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Originally Posted by mdonald1987 View Post
Hi ems,

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, that's another title to add to my list!

Re my Wife's situation, we're relying on her status as an RMN to gain a visa through the BC PNP Healthcare route. I've been in-touch with Healthmatch BC whom seem fairly confident that she shouldn't have to do a bridging programme or re-sit her degree. And from what I've read, as RMN's are trained and assessed in their own right, the competencies compared side-by-side for Canadian and UK-trained RMN's *appears* comparable. My hope is that she may need to sit one or two modules, if any at all. Do you have any experience in this area? Have you made the move?

Best Wishes,

Michael
Hi Micheal,
Im still in the planning stage and exploring the various options for a smooth move, currently looking at Express Entry or doing a MSc on a student visa. I am hoping to be located in Ontario which has certain implications regarding conversion of my RMN qualification. From what I understand Psychiatric Nursing is only formally recognised and regulated in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Im looking at a much longer process for Ontario and will likely have more modules to do. From my research the average time to convert is approx. 3 years, and several thousand dollars. Personally that’s way too long to be working as a support worker in the meantime. In any case, some of the Therapy posts seem much closer to what I do now (Community Forensic) and hopefully quicker to get into. I will be watching your future posts with interest!

Ems
ems_the_dreamer is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2021, 9:54 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 19
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BC

Originally Posted by ems_the_dreamer View Post
Hi Micheal,
Im still in the planning stage and exploring the various options for a smooth move, currently looking at Express Entry or doing a MSc on a student visa. I am hoping to be located in Ontario which has certain implications regarding conversion of my RMN qualification. From what I understand Psychiatric Nursing is only formally recognised and regulated in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Im looking at a much longer process for Ontario and will likely have more modules to do. From my research the average time to convert is approx. 3 years, and several thousand dollars. Personally that’s way too long to be working as a support worker in the meantime. In any case, some of the Therapy posts seem much closer to what I do now (Community Forensic) and hopefully quicker to get into. I will be watching your future posts with interest!

Ems
I think we're probably at a similar stage, Ems. I don't think we'll be in a position to make a visa application for a couple of years but there is still lots to consider and complete before we get to that point. Ontario was our first option but for the very reason that RMN's are not seen as distinct nurses in their own right, we've had to reconsider. I'll keep you updated and let you know of outcome, cost, timeframes etc.
mdonald1987 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.