Cochrane?

Old Sep 21st 2015, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Lunathecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cochrane?

We are thinking of moving a bit further out of calgary to Cochrane, as we are missing the small town of Kelowna feel plus the house prices are cheaper

The neighbourhood we are thinking about moving to is Riversong. it reminds us of the neighbourhood we lived in in Kelowna, and seems family friendly.

We would love to hear any feedback from people already living in Cochrane - pros and cons.

Also, if there is anyone who would be interested in meeting up with us for a coffee one weekend, that would be great.

Thanks!
Old Sep 21st 2015, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cochrane?

Hello from Cochrane. We've been here 8 years and it's been a great home and base for us. The town has grown a lot in the last 4-5 years, possibly a bit too fast actually, as we have some traffic jams these days!!

Has everything you need for day to day living, and store selection expanding by the month. Two new schools coming in 2016 then 2017.

There are no bad areas. It's a pretty easy commute into the city, but I wouldn't want to work in the SE. There is no public transport, and just two commuter busses a day. You can drive in or park up at one of the outlying C train stops.

You can't beat the views. Seriously. You're about 12 minutes from the city limits but that break allows you to draw breath and gaze at that horizon. I never tire of it. It's busy and growing small town, but not too big, good services, recreation, pathways, markets, social events, dance, art, bands, libraries, great small businesses, and the cutest Main Street ever 😉

You could do a lot worse. 😀
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Lunathecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ann. It sounds like it's what we are looking for but wanted to ask just in case we are missing anything. The lower mortgage would be great because I'm still struggling to find work. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is if I did find work, then the commute would be further, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. My husbands job is in NW, so not bad for him at all.

Thanks again. If we manage to make the move, perhaps we can meet up for coffee?
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Give me a shout when you want to.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 2:26 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Another hello from Cochrane. We've been here almost 7 years now and are really happy here. I think Anne pretty much summed it all up in her reply; I'd agree with all she said.

i don't live in Riversong myself but know people who do who are very happy up there. Just bear in mind, that if your husband is commuting to NW Calgary, his journey will most likely take him all the way into Cochrane on the 22 before heading out again on the 1A and, with rush hour congestion, could add some time to his commute before even getting out of town.

That said, my husband works in NE Calgary and his commute is generally only 30 minutes.

Although the town is pretty big (and still growing), it's true that there does seem to still be a good sense of community and particularly within each neighbourhood. My neighbourhood has neighbourhood BBQs in the summer and a lot of the ladies try to meet up about once a month for wine and nibbles!

Anyway, please feel free to ask if there's anything else I can help with and by all means let me know if you want to meet up for coffee sometime.

Regards