Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Closing Bank accounts in UK???

Closing Bank accounts in UK???

Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default Re: Closing Bank accounts in UK???

Originally Posted by durrani
I was in HSBC branches ( more then two) and I was told that they dont open any account for Canada from here. I was advised by all branches that I must be in Canada to open an account in HSBC. I was also told even in one branch, that Canada HSBC has nothing to do with UK HSBC. Even I called their customer service number of HSBC and the lady with whom I talked, she was not sure and she advised me that I should just pop in any HSBC branch and they will guide me.

I agree to keep the bank account but as I will not use it, it will not make any impression on its credit history. One can has a good credit histroy if he/she is using it in a very good way. So having an account unsed or opening a new account will be same from the credit point of view.
We opened a HSBC account in Canada whilst still in UK (we have a premier account which requires that you have £50K deposited with them or a mortgage I believe that you can open other accounts but I would check with their Head Office as the people in the banks sometimes don't know (why should they as they are normally only interested in their own branch).

You should also keep a bank account opened as once closed you will struggle to reopen one unless you return to the UK. It will help with depositing all sorts such as pensions, income tax refunds, etc. My Financial Advisor advised me one to never close an account unless you can open another to replace it.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by jamesmc
i would be very careful about leaving a bank account open in the uk ..
we had an account with lloyds tsb ,When we moved to canada we transfered our money to an account we opened leaving the uk account dorment for 2yrs . i attempted to close the account but was told i could only do it in person... so when i was back in uk for parents funeral i went to close it and was told i owed a near 4 figure sum on the account.
It seems my account had a service charge every month ,it added up over the 2yrs with overdraft fees etc . so be v careful
james.
I think the moral of that story is not that you should close an account but that you should ensure that you know if it has a service charge and if so downgrade it so that it doesn't! Also ensure that any standing orders / direct debits that are no longer required are cancelled.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:20 am
Banned

durrani is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for every body.

I am convinced not to close my account. I also got this idea that transfering money to my brother's account and then having bank draft with my name from his account can make problem so better to keep my own account and make a draft from my own account.

Thanks every body for your help and guidence.

Regards.