Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Class 7/5 GDL driving permit question

Class 7/5 GDL driving permit question

Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Richard2290 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Class 7/5 GDL driving permit question

Hi folks, I have a specific question I can't seem to find an answer to online, so I'm hoping someone here can help!

I'm moving to BC in the next 2 weeks and only just looked into the driving situation. I'm 29, held a UK provisional licence for 10+ years, recently passed my theory finally and know how to drive, I just haven't taken my driving test. By the look of it, I won't be able to book a test between now and leaving.
I'm really trying to avoid the Class 7 permit if possible, but could live with a Class 5 GDL permit.

Would the length of holding a UK provisional licence and passing my theory mean I can just jump into the Class 5 GDL?

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 7/5 GDL driving permit question

From the BC website

Driving experience requirement

If you don't have two years' driving experience (with a full-privilege, non-learner licence) or can't prove it, you can still get a Class 7 or Class 8 licence with graduated licensing restrictions.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...r-country.aspx
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:17 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Class 7/5 GDL driving permit question

You'll swap it for an L and will have to do the Class 7 program. The only "perk" you'll get is that you don't have to wait a year to take the road test (you'll be able to book it once you've swapped your license).

Edit - Class 5 is a full license in BC. 7L/N is the GDL.