Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tenant and key deposit

Tenant and key deposit

Old Sep 29th 2019, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tenant and key deposit

Would anybody be able to offer some advice on this subject? I let a room to a 25 year old, he signed a contract and gave a key deposit. It transpired that despite his assurances he is dirty, untidy and lazy, he couldn't even shut a cupboard drawer. As such by mutual consent and with no hard feelings he gave me notice and moved out. I asked that he clean up and return the bathroom and bedroom in a clean state. He didn't and tbh I didn't expect him to, he has thrown out his rubbish returned plates to the dishwasher left the kay and gone.

He has left food behind and a set of drawers that he bought.

I have spent the last 2+ hours cleaning and "degunge" and bought additional cleaning materials. I have the key back, there is no damage done but can I dock his deposit for the time I have taken to clean and for the materials bought.

I dont expect any legal ramifications but I just want to cover my ass as such.

Thank you.

Lamin in NS
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenant and key deposit

Originally Posted by Lamin
Would anybody be able to offer some advice on this subject? I let a room to a 25 year old, he signed a contract and gave a key deposit. It transpired that despite his assurances he is dirty, untidy and lazy, he couldn't even shut a cupboard drawer. As such by mutual consent and with no hard feelings he gave me notice and moved out. I asked that he clean up and return the bathroom and bedroom in a clean state. He didn't and tbh I didn't expect him to, he has thrown out his rubbish returned plates to the dishwasher left the kay and gone.

I have spent the last 2+ hours cleaning and "degunge" and bought additional cleaning materials. I have the key back, there is no damage done but can I dock his deposit for the time I have taken to clean and for the materials bought.

Thank you.

Lamin in NS
It's up to you but as a landlord myself, I'd advise you to just cop it and move on. I always deep clean a property after a tenant vacates anyway so it's ready for the next tenant. The main thing is there's no damage.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You will want to look into the rules surrounding deposits in Nova Scotia and see if your permitted to dock a deposit for cleaning, you may not be able to without either permission of the tenant or an arbitrator or other allowing it.

Example in BC landlord cannot just deduct a deposit, they either need written permission from the tenant to keep all or a portion of it, or need to apply to RTB and have an arbitrator allow it, but the landlord can't simply decide to deduct or keep a deposit.

May also want to check into if tenancy laws are applicable as well, in BC when renting a room the tenancy rules don't always apply so you may have more wiggle room, but your best bet is to check with the residential tenancy board or whatever it might be called in your province, or if its not a large amount don't worry about, return the deposit, and move on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 29th 2019 at 8:16 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin

Thank you.

Lamin in NS

"Key deposit" ?? Do you mean a Security Deposit, which you have kept in a separate account and pay interest on?

I strongly suggest that you read the landlord / tenancy act for NS https://nslegislature.ca/sites/defau...0tenancies.pdf - or at minimum read over this website: Tenant rights and Landlord rights in Nova Scotia | tenantrights.ca
Key Money
It is illegal for landlords to require tenants to provide key money. The only money that landlords can collect from tenants is a security deposit as well as first month’s rent; however, tenants can be charged a fee if they lock themselves out of their unit and require new keys to be issued to them, provided this fee is mentioned somewhere in the lease..
When a tenancy ends:

https://beta.novascotia.ca/documents...-and-landlords
If the tenant does not give written consent,
and the landlord wants to keep all or part of
the security deposit to pay for unpaid rent or
damages, the landlord must complete a Form J:
Application to Director within 10 days of the end
of the tenancy (lease) or file a Security Deposit
Claim Form.
https://beta.novascotia.ca/programs-...ancies-program
https://beta.novascotia.ca/sites/def...tenancy-en.pdf

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 30th 2019 at 3:04 am.