Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Church of Tim Hortons

The Church of Tim Hortons

Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Church of Tim Hortons

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
erm... because their coffee tastes like dishwater? Sacrilegious to say so, perhaps, and I'll happily consume it (and a dutchie or a box of Timbits as appropriate) when it's the only thing on offer, but if there's an alternative that actually tastes of coffee I'd take that any day.

Why else d'you think the double-double is the standard mixture? Put in enough sugar and cream and it disguises the absence of coffee flavour.
Thank the Lord that someone else noticed the coffee is undrinkable... not that Starbucks is any better. And as for those donuts and their heart-attack inducing hi-carb, hi-fat, hi-cholesterol deliciousness... it's gotta be a once-a-year treat.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newshoney
Thank the Lord that someone else noticed the coffee is undrinkable... not that Starbucks is any better. And as for those donuts and their heart-attack inducing hi-carb, hi-fat, hi-cholesterol deliciousness... it's gotta be a once-a-year treat.
Plenty of people have noticed that TH coffee is undrinkable. My missus has remarked that there is only one thing worse. That brings us back to once-a-year treats.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Plenty of people have noticed that TH coffee is undrinkable. My missus has remarked that there is only one thing worse. That brings us back to once-a-year treats.

So unlike dbd you wont be overblown then?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:17 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So unlike dbd you wont be overblown then?
No.

<wistful sigh>

Why is it "blow", anyway?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:27 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

all a matter of taste folks and if you don't like it shut up about it.

1 cup will allow the newbies to experience for themsevles but unless you like sweet creamy coffee don't buy Double double.

There is no fancy latte or capof cream or varying degree of strengths, flavour depending on skill of the maker.
Its Coffee + Milk or cream or sugar or nothing at all.

Plain and simple.

For all of you who don't like it, thanks for not increasingg the line size.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I've always assumed that there's a shortage of coffee makers and kettle's over here because of the long line ups through the drive through's early mornings.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
No.

<wistful sigh>

Why is it "blow", anyway?
Way too early for me to add to this thread, I won't bite ...

Grah - have another coffee luv
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

i saw a documentary on TV not that long ago about Tim Horton.and Ron Joyce .very interesting people..and his foundation continues to do a lot for children..

What One Cup of Coffee Can Do

Every time a customer buys a coffee at Tim Hortons on Camp Day they will help send over 12,000 kids – who could otherwise not afford it – on the camping adventure of a lifetime. All children who attend the Foundation’s camp sessions are selected from within the communities where Tim Hortons stores are located. Tim Hortons store owners work closely with local youth organizations and schools to select appropriate children, between the ages of nine and 12, to attend a 10 day summer camp session or seven day winter camp session.
“Each year we are overwhelmed with the outpouring of support that we receive from our loyal customers and special guests on Camp Day,” says Nick Javor, Tim Hortons senior vice president of corporate affairs. “Our customers like the fact that all they need to do to help deserving children is buy a cup of coffee. It’s what they already do every day – yet on Camp Day so many go above and beyond to show their support.”

About Tim Hortons and the Tim Horton Children’s Foundation
The Tim Hortons chain was founded in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada in 1964. It is the largest quick service restaurant chain in Canada specializing in always fresh coffee, baked goods and homestyle lunches. There are currently over 2,400 Tim Hortons restaurants in Canada and 250 in the United States. The Tim Horton Children's Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization, was established in 1974 by Ron Joyce, Co-Founder of the Tim Hortons chain, to honour Tim Horton's love for children and his desire to help those less fortunate. Since 1974, more than 72,000 economically disadvantaged children and youth have attended a Foundation camp. For more information about Tim Hortons or the Tim Horton Children’s Foundation, please visit: www.timhortons.com.

When i was first here ..i was amazed at the morning line ups at Tim Hortons....i asked my husband..what is so damn popular about Tim Hortons...he answered..well aside from the coffee~ it is the history...you have to remember Canadians love hockey..and Tim Horton is a hockey legend!

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...io&list=#photo
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stepnek
I've always assumed that there's a shortage of coffee makers and kettle's over here because of the long line ups through the drive through's early mornings.
LOL~~~ i so agree!!!! it is a vision to see huh!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
LOL~~~ i so agree!!!! it is a vision to see huh!!!!
Truly. It surprises me every time I see it.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
nah - it's not a shortage of coffee machines, it's just that if you don't get a drive-through Tim's on your way to work you have nothing to distract you from the drive, so you would be forced to pay attention to other road users, which goes against every instinct.

PS ...says I, who finishes his second cup of coffee before leaving home and takes the train to work, so I'm hardly typical...

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jul 19th 2007 at 3:53 pm. Reason: added postscript
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Really, if you tried bonafide coffee in Argentina you wouldn't able to have Tim Hortons again.

I hated the drink/food here at first but it is something my mouth/body has got used to as that is the best I am going to get here.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:04 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Well personally I can't stand coffee so I have no idea what Tim Horton's coffee is like. Though I confess to rather liking their hot chocolate. And honey crullers. And other things.

Starbucks hot chocolate is horrible. Second Cup do a good hot chocolate, though it is much more expensive than Tim Horton's. Mind you the SC Vanilla Bean Hot Chocolate is my favourite hot tipple over there, absolutely gorgeous.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:08 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
Really, if you tried bonafide coffee in Argentina you wouldn't able to have Tim Hortons again.

I hated the drink/food here at first but it is something my mouth/body has got used to as that is the best I am going to get here.
Last time I saw your name Babs I thought you were leaving Canada....what happened ? or am I confusing you with another tennis playing bod ?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:11 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Apparently its a religious cult in Canada. Saw loads of people queuing to get into their church chanting, Our father who art in heaven double double be thy name.

Strange.

http://www.ski-epic.com/2006_canada_...drive_thru.jpg
Where do I sign up?
I would be more than happy to take the communion of the Tim Bit (preferably chocolate glaze)

Flossie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.