Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chosen profession?

Chosen profession?

Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

snowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to all
Default Chosen profession?

Aimed at those of you already living in Canada - how many of you are actually working in your chosen profession, and how long did it take you to get the job?

Did you get it

a) prior to leaving UK or

b) after arriving in Canada

In order to secure that job did you have to take re-assessment courses/exams, or "upgrade" your qualifications?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:00 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chosen profession?

Originally Posted by snowgoose
Aimed at those of you already living in Canada - how many of you are actually working in your chosen profession, and how long did it take you to get the job?

Did you get it

In order to secure that job did you have to take re-assessment courses/exams, or "upgrade" your qualifications?

More like a tangentially-related occupation I find myself in.

I was a college lecturer in IT and computing but after 3 months of unsuccessfully trying to get a post at one of the community colleges over here I decided to take a job in IT in the private sector. It was that or turn around and go back home.

I'm still looking for a lecturing post but needs must and all that. I'm actually about to start a third job come January the 3rd, again in IT for the local county.

Being flexible is the key to finding a post over here if you don't come over with a job offer already sorted. There are jobs available if you want to take the chance but just be realistic and know that the first (or second or third) ones are probably not the ones you'll want to start a career in - they're just for money and experience.

Fortunately I didn't need to retake any exams but then again I'm not in a 'regulated' profession. I wouldn't mind taking more exams and qualifications - I'm fairly sad in that I like gaining more shiny pieces of paper that have my name on them.

Mrs M is in a low-paid payroll post at the mo: just for money and experience but she is looking for accountancy roles and has more interviews lined up. Just got to keep trying.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get it

Hi Snowgoose

Not technically in Canada as yet - hubby flies out on Feb 4th to start his job.

He is a Chartered Accountant and after being made redundant had the hair brain idea of going on holiday and pounding the streets looking for a job.

Yes he was successful and got the same level of job he is doing in the uk, for slightly less money but much better benefits. He will have to sit an exam to convert to the Canadian designation next october - but he is not that worried about that.

Hope this helps
The Burton Bunch
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Keg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really nice

Hello,

I'm an Occupational therapist and had to sit an entrance exam before I could register to practise.
We had applied for our PR but because of the long wait, i started to apply for jobs so we could get over on a work permit in the meantime.

I secured a job and the work permit came through, so we're over here on a 3 year work permit while the PR is still going through. Should arrive next spring sometime.

I've not given any timelines as my memory is awful and days/weeks/months turn into one long blur..............hope this helps!

PS - if we had to do it again, personally I would have a job secured before moving - my OH is out there job hunting and it can get pretty damn depressing.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get it

Yes

Also Yes

No
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:05 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

..are you actually working in your chosen profession, and how long did it take you to get the job?

Yes generically speaking, 3 months active searching.

Did you get it

a) prior to leaving UK

No

Yes

No.
Rich.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get it

Yes. Friend send me an ad. Applied, telephone interview, flown over, offered job and one way plane ticket. Job was in my field, albeit a new industry for me, and a promotion.

Yes. First job lasted exactly a year before the further collapse of this particular business segment lead shortsighted management to cut the wrong management fat. Second job was secured locally and is back to manufacturing/technology and sorta on a par with the job I left in the UK but less well paid.

I have no 'professional' qualifications, rather a degree (less important) and good industry experience and skills (more important.). Should I wish to gain professional qualifications in my field one option could have been the Purchasing Management of Canada scheme. Unfortunately or perhaps not unusually for Canada, they have no process of recognising business experience and expertise and would expect me to start at the same level as a newly minted grad or trainee buyer. Not wishing to waste three years of my evenings doing stuff I already know, I've decided to do a MBA instead!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:34 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I think my profession chose me.

Back in the mid-80s, when I was a student doing a commerce degree, I spent 6 months on an internship. The company, an industrial market research consultancy, was chosen for me by the school.

I went back to that company for a few years after graduating (I needed some cash but ended up staying for a while). I then moved to another consultancy for a few years and then got out of the business altogether and went to the Canadian High Commission in London before emigrating. My plan was to find government work here. Didn't happen. In fact, I spent the first two years doing SFA.

During all this time I had retained close contact with the first company. They took me on as a freelance in 2002, and full-time last year. Talk about going full-circle.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Did you get it

OH and I are both working in our chosen professions, he's an IT network admin/senior, I'm a software tester. We arrived in Canada in the first week in October, didn't start applying for jobs until the second week, OH had an interview and job offer within 2 weeks, but it was in Ottawa and we'd decided we wanted to be in the GTA. All told, it took about 4 weeks before we both had jobs (we were offered them on the same day, coincidentally). OH had to go through 3 interviews over the space of about 10 days, I had one interview and was offered the job same-day. Within 3 days of that we'd acquired a second car and bought a house, then started working mid-November.

Although we'd re-worked our resumes in the UK, we didn't even start applying for positions until we got here and got ourselves settled.

No upgrading of skills required...IT qualifications are pretty international.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

we've been here 4 months and i cant apply for a work permit until i have been here 6months (am on a student visa) MOH is working as a security guard while he applies for every building maintenance job going, and there arent that many. He's a plumber and gas fitter by trade, once he has his certification in those trades though it will still take forever as there arent the jobs around.

Hopefully i will be able to get a part time job as an x-ray tech in March
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough

Did you get it

Got the job prior to leaving the UK - no re-assessment, just some questions about the difference between the two working cultures, ironicaly the issues are basicaly the same when managing people .

Rgds Scotty 1972
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keg and Mash
Hello,

I'm an Occupational therapist and had to sit an entrance exam before I could register to practise.
We had applied for our PR but because of the long wait, i started to apply for jobs so we could get over on a work permit in the meantime.

I secured a job and the work permit came through, so we're over here on a 3 year work permit while the PR is still going through. Should arrive next spring sometime.

I've not given any timelines as my memory is awful and days/weeks/months turn into one long blur..............hope this helps!

PS - if we had to do it again, personally I would have a job secured before moving - my OH is out there job hunting and it can get pretty damn depressing.
Oy missus! change your signature - you're on the other side of the pond now!!!

Trish
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:02 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Came twice to work in the breweries..

Got both Jobs from the UK

Both times on a work visa
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Keg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really nice
Talking Re: Chosen profession?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes - good point.

It will be done!!!