Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit Card - No Credit History

Credit Card - No Credit History

Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:49 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Credit Card - No Credit History

am sure this has been asked before - but no luck in doing a search

been rejected by Presidents Choice & another main player - Capital One i think

our Bank ; ScotiaBank want to me to do one of those credit arrangements where you give them $1200 for a year for the privilege of a $1000 credit limit
(i bank; personal/business & mortgage with them but still required to jump thru hoops)

any ideas where a PR with 3mths Cdn history can get such a beast without the big cash outlay

am using UK credit card in meantime, but am keen to get on the Credit ladder here

i got a good Experian Credit report from UK for the Imiigrant mortgage - any suggestions on who would use this, over and above the generic application forms

Tx

BQ
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit Card - No Credit History

Originally Posted by Beaverquest

our Bank ; ScotiaBank want to me to do one of those credit arrangements where you give them $1200 for a year for the privilege of a $1000 credit limit
(i bank; personal/business & mortgage with them but still required to jump thru hoops)

any ideas where a PR with 3mths Cdn history can get such a beast without the big cash outlay

am using UK credit card in meantime, but am keen to get on the Credit ladder here

i got a good Experian Credit report from UK for the Imiigrant mortgage - any suggestions on who would use this, over and above the generic application forms

Tx

BQ
amex are brill imo....esp if you were with them in the uk, good luck
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. I bank with Scotiabank and after some rumination and consultation with the greater powers they gave me a visa with a $3k limit. At that time I had a job (and a letter from my employer/wage slips etc) and proof of net worth (at that time equity in a house in the UK). Seems strange that if you have mortgage with them that they won't oblige. Perhaps you could consider their 'Total Equity Plan' where credit card/line of credit & mortgage are all secured on the house.

Failing that, perhaps you have to resign yourself to the fact that folk are just so much easier to get along with on the East Coast!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:06 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Utilities - may save you $1k on security deposits.

Rich.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:26 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's interesting. I bank with Scotiabank and after some rumination and consultation with the greater powers they gave me a visa with a $3k limit. At that time I had a job (and a letter from my employer/wage slips etc) and proof of net worth (at that time equity in a house in the UK). Seems strange that if you have mortgage with them that they won't oblige. Perhaps you could consider their 'Total Equity Plan' where credit card/line of credit & mortgage are all secured on the house.

Failing that, perhaps you have to resign yourself to the fact that folk are just so much easier to get along with on the East Coast!

thanks for the reply

jeez this feels a bit like kicking the footy around between the trenches

must be that time of year
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply

jeez this feels a bit like kicking the footy around between the trenches

must be that time of year

Well I could have suggested you try for a Home Depot store card...........
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

We had to put 5000 dollars down in a savings account just to get a 2500 limit, but it seems to be the only option if you're new. It's a bit humiliating but there aren't many other options.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

We had a mortgage from day 1 arriving here, but didn't apply for any other credit until after about 10mths (kept using our UK cards).

Applied for an RBC c/card (who we bank with) and got a $10k limit, also had no problem getting 0% finance on a car. We just assumed that making a chunk of mortgage payments for a while and building up some credit history would make applying for a card or loan straighforward at some point in the future, and so it seemed.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:47 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

A friend over here mentioned getting a card from Crappy Tire but I believe their interest rates are frightening? Not a problem if you pay it off at the end of each month though.

However, I'm sure someone on this board tried to do this and couldn't get the card?

Like everyone else, we had to put down security to get a card: A $1000 each for a $1000 limit. Must see when we'll get that back, probably after a year. It does go into a high interest account however so we get something back.

Funnily enough, the Hydro didn't ask for a deposit but the gas utility did (or was it the other way round?). Oh, and Rogers did too.

The credit wasteland of a new immigrant I'm afraid: welcome to Canada.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I started with a car lease with a large security deposit, and store cards (Leons etc), then HBC (Zellers), then Canadian Tire (before it was a mastercard), and built up history that way

I dont know that there is a shortcut other than the secured card and the Amex card transfer. I know people here have managed it though, but I suspect its based on the attitude of the manager more than anything.

Threaten to take you business elsewhere if they dont see reason...might not help but you will probably feel better if you do. I know I felt liberated when I told TD where they could stick it. Other than that keep trying different places and see who values your future custom enough to cut you a deal.

If you are on a work permit rather than PR its even harder to get credit.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
A friend over here mentioned getting a card from Crappy Tire but I believe their interest rates are frightening? Not a problem if you pay it off at the end of each month though.

However, I'm sure someone on this board tried to do this and couldn't get the card?
I did that, but that was when it was still just a "store card", rather than a mastercard as it ihas been for a few years now. I suspect its harder for a newcomer to do now.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:55 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
....I suspect its based on the attitude of the manager more than anything.....If you are on a work permit rather than PR its even harder to get credit.
I think the relationship you have with your bank makes a big difference - I'm here on a work permit and haven't found any difficulty, just didn't have an expectation that I would be able to get credit early in my time over here. Managing with a UK based c/card for 6-12mths whilst building a credit rating here's not too big a deal if you plan ahead a little.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:56 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I did that, but that was when it was still just a "store card", rather than a mastercard as it ihas been for a few years now. I suspect its harder for a newcomer to do now.
I'm sure you're right and you can't just get one now and build up credit that way.

I'm not aware of any shortcuts to this dilemma: it's one that every immigrant (apart from the super-rich and totally illegal - is their a difference? ) comes across.

Now that we're working and bringing in wages and payslips I assume that the deluge of credit crap will start and we'll be beating them back with a stick. I may ask them to put down a deposit to secure my patronage and business.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Hi there,

We have been here 6 months and Capital One have just given me a credit card - $75 secured for a $500 limit. Not much I know but it helps build up your rating.

I applied online under secured credit cards on their website. I think after a year they will let you convert/increase limits.

Tx

BQ
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:57 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Like everyone else, we had to put down security to get a card: A $1000 each for a $1000 limit. Must see when we'll get that back, probably after a year. It does go into a high interest account however so we get something back.
Crap innit. Wait three months, if one of you has a job go shop around the banks and be prepared to take your business to them. You'll get credit without security, generally. Just go find out who wants your business. Banks have budgets for risk, apparently, so catch em on a good day when the manager needs his bonus.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.