Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Children and schooling?

Children and schooling?

Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:43 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Children and schooling?

Hi all,

When you moved initially, did you start the children in school straight away? Had you chosen the school before you moved or was it related to the more permanent house ie rental house? Did you take them out of school for any length of time? Just trying to get my head around the temporary accomodation, rental and schooling conundrum!

Thanks

Vicki.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children and schooling?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Hi all,

When you moved initially, did you start the children in school straight away? Had you chosen the school before you moved or was it related to the more permanent house ie rental house? Did you take them out of school for any length of time? Just trying to get my head around the temporary accomodation, rental and schooling conundrum!

Thanks

Vicki.
Went into school as soon as possible. School was dictated by the community we lived in, we purchased the house prior to landing.

We were not particularly hung up on schooling as, really, there is little to choose between those available in Calgary.

Each to their own and all that.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:01 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

We were in temporary accommodation for almost two months when we first moved over. However, within the first week we had found a house to buy and had our offer accepted etc; just had to wait to take possession. As we knew where we'd be living, we went to the local school for the neighbourhood to get my daughter registered. They showed us around then and there and did the necessary paperwork and she started the next day, about a week after we arrived. I was keen to get her into school straight away for academic and social reasons.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
We were in temporary accommodation for almost two months when we first moved over. However, within the first week we had found a house to buy and had our offer accepted etc; just had to wait to take possession. As we knew where we'd be living, we went to the local school for the neighbourhood to get my daughter registered. They showed us around then and there and did the necessary paperwork and she started the next day, about a week after we arrived. I was keen to get her into school straight away for academic and social reasons.
You forgot to add "sanity reasons" !
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:53 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. Some schools in some school districts in greater Vancouver are full by now and your child will be given a spot in whatever school has space - regardless of whether you live close by or not.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
It depends. Some schools in some school districts in greater Vancouver are full by now and your child will be given a spot in whatever school has space - regardless of whether you live close by or not.
The OP is going to Bracebridge ON though.

<although as ever your post could be of interest to someone else >
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's worth bearing in mind that we might not have a choice. I sort of assumed that we might register him with the school that we might prefer from the uk, that he would start straight away, and we find a rental to fit around that. It occurs to me life might not work out like it does in my head and I wondered how others manage that aren't buying as soon as they land.

Vic
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's worth bearing in mind that we might not have a choice. I sort of assumed that we might register him with the school that we might prefer from the uk, that he would start straight away, and we find a rental to fit around that. It occurs to me life might not work out like it does in my head and I wondered how others manage that aren't buying as soon as they land.

Vic
We picked the school first then made our realtor find us a rental in the right catchment area. We subsequently bought in the same area. We had a specific reason for wanting a particular school, in that it had the only Head teacher who was prepared to advance our youngest into grade one rather than part time kindergarten. He had already done a full year of full time school in the UK so we felt it was better for him to continue with full time school. We arrived in August, kids started on first day of school in the September.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 2:08 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The OP is going to Bracebridge ON though.

<although as ever your post could be of interest to someone else >
good point.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Vic
I know your moving to ON but just to let you know it may not be as simple as registering from the UK.
We're in BC and here it is IMPOSSIBLE to register at a school without taking the necessary documents in person to the education authority, that includes a lease or utility bill to prove your address. Based on the address and available spaces at the catchment schools they then contact you the following day to tell you which you have been allocated to although they try to keep siblings in the same school. We had to start straight away as school places are in demand in our catchment so if you don't take it, you lose it.

Our daughter who is 8yrs old started a day or two later just enough time to get over the jet lag and she settled in straight away. Our 5yr old had already completed his first year at school at home but as he wouldn't be starting until now in Canada, he ended up having a 16wk summer break - far, far too long and I wouldn't recommend it!