Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quite nervous about the big move to Vancouver in 3 weeks!!

Quite nervous about the big move to Vancouver in 3 weeks!!

Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

TKaur81 will become famous soon enoughTKaur81 will become famous soon enough
Smile Quite nervous about the big move to Vancouver in 3 weeks!!

Hi Everybody,

I've not posted on here for a longgg time, but I just wanted to ask, if anyone else was just as nervous when they moved?? I'm 32 and have never lived outside of the UK, and due to cultural background , never lived outside of my family members, this is the biggest step I've ever made, and I really want to give it a go...but I am sooo sooo nervous now that I have only 3 weeks left...is there anyone that can give me advice on how to kick the anxiety?? I'm moving totally on my own... I must be nuts right?! lol

Tina Kaur
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quite nervous about the big move to Vancouver in 3 weeks!!

other than seeing it as a great adventure and an experience to look forward to - it'll open your mind & change you forever for the better IMO

Simply take the step, one at a time - you'll be OK

Good luck with the move
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:29 pm
Wales to Ontario

Runningfree is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure you will meet loads of new friends and have a great adventure. Anyone emigrating will feel nervous! Go for it have a great adventure and if it does not work come home.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Nerves is all part of it. You'll be absolutely fine, Vancouver is a lovely place - enjoy!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:49 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you moving to Canada....because you wanted a different life and a bit of excitement? Well now you've got it: You won't get rid of the nerves and doubts...they go with the territory, and they give you the energy to get through it....try to enjoy! Best of luck
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Quite nervous about the big move to Vancouver in 3 weeks!!

Originally Posted by MillieF
Why are you moving to Canada....because you wanted a different life and a bit of excitement? Well now you've got it: You won't get rid of the nerves and doubts...they go with the territory, and they give you the energy to get through it....try to enjoy! Best of luck

Hey thankyou everyone who replied, think you hit the nail on the head Millie...thats exactly what made me want to try Canada, its a goal I've had for a while...and if I don't try it I will forever kick myself...and your right, I won't get rid of the nerves or doubts but like you said they go with the territory ...I've made some nice friends there already so am glad about that... If I give it a go and it still doesn't work out or I still don't feel settled...britain is always going to be there .. Its nice to know everyone on here has been through the same feelings at some point...
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcmama
Nerves is all part of it. You'll be absolutely fine, Vancouver is a lovely place - enjoy!

Ah thanks I will be hopefully Gotta give this move a good go!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TKaur81
Hi Everybody,

I've not posted on here for a longgg time, but I just wanted to ask, if anyone else was just as nervous when they moved?? I'm 32 and have never lived outside of the UK, and due to cultural background , never lived outside of my family members, this is the biggest step I've ever made, and I really want to give it a go...but I am sooo sooo nervous now that I have only 3 weeks left...is there anyone that can give me advice on how to kick the anxiety?? I'm moving totally on my own... I must be nuts right?! lol

Tina Kaur
Are you a marsupial?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are you a marsupial?

You will be fine TK. Expect a bit homesickness and give yourself plenty of time to feel partially settled (months not weeks). These days with the Internet and free phone calls the world is so very small.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:05 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

If you weren't nervous I'd be concerned its a major life change and people do fail at it and go back, but most people succeed and have long happy new lives here in Canada, you couldn't pay me enough to go back!!!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are you a marsupial?
LOL!! Hmmm posssibly close?? Haha... I grew up in a verrry strict indian household in the UK , and being a girl it was tough, as your not meant to live OUTSIDE of the family house unless your married off to a husband... but I've rebelled a lot and being independant for me is a HUGE HUGE goal and I want to prove to myself I can do it
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!! Hmmm posssibly close?? Haha... I grew up in a verrry strict indian household in the UK , and being a girl it was tough, as your not meant to live OUTSIDE of the family house unless your married off to a husband... but I've rebelled a lot and being independant for me is a HUGE HUGE goal and I want to prove to myself I can do it
Well done you! Out of curiosity, why did you choose Canada/Vancouver?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by __TJ__
If you weren't nervous I'd be concerned its a major life change and people do fail at it and go back, but most people succeed and have long happy new lives here in Canada, you couldn't pay me enough to go back!!!

Thankyou Shard and TJ , I've been reading a lot of posts on here about this and the common themes that seem to be occuring is about giving it time...I want to give myself a good year... I'm a nurse and I know its gonna be tough getting into my profession in Canada cause of all the retraining n such but I reallly wana give it a try because I love nursing...

TJ I think I've PM'd you a long while back? Im really glad to hear you are happy in Canada I'm glad this site is around its a nice and supportive place!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
Well done you! Out of curiosity, why did you choose Canada/Vancouver?
Thankyou Its took me long enough , I'm 32 so its took me since I was 15 to achieve this goal lol I first visited BC when I was 11, a relative got married there In Duncun ..and I really loved the nature and the culture there and I then came back to visit on my own when i was 15 (stayed with the relative) and I kept coming back to visit a few times after that too, I've been to Vancouver and back 6 times so far and well I want to give it a try working there and living there... though when i get a job i think I'd like to move out to where its a bit cheaper.. lol
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:42 pm
Yo

Thankyou Its took me long enough , I'm 32 so its took me since I was 15 to achieve this goal lol I first visited BC when I was 11, a relative got married there In Duncun ..and I really loved the nature and the culture there and I then came back to visit on my own when i was 15 (stayed with the relative) and I kept coming back to visit a few times after that too, I've been to Vancouver and back 6 times so far and well I want to give it a try working there and living there... though when i get a job i think I'd like to move out to where its a bit cheaper.. lol
The fact that you have visited several times is a positive. You have an idea of what to expect and even some extended family and that will make it easier. BE is a very helpful community but take everything with a grain of salt as everyone's circumstances are so totally different. Good luck with your new adventure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.