Childcare

Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough
Default Childcare

Hi there,

Could any1 tell me the cost of Childcare in Toronto? And do working parents get any assistance with Childcare costs at all?

Thank you

Louise
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare

Originally Posted by louisey66
Hi there,

Could any1 tell me the cost of Childcare in Toronto? And do working parents get any assistance with Childcare costs at all?

Thank you

Louise
The costs are tax deductible
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

In Mississauga we currently pay $850 a month, going up to $950 a month soon for a place with better facilities. This is for pre-school. Toddlers at the second place are $1050. That's 18 months to 2.5 years.

I hate to think what infant care costs in the GTA. Luckily we were in NS at that point.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:02 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
In Mississauga we currently pay $850 a month, going up to $950 a month soon for a place with better facilities. This is for pre-school. Toddlers at the second place are $1050. That's 18 months to 2.5 years.

I hate to think what infant care costs in the GTA. Luckily we were in NS at that point.
Blimey. We pay $600 a month for a toddler. Life is cheaper out in the provinces.....
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Costs me close on 1400 a month for my 2 ( 5yr old and 2 yr old) and thats with the 5 yr old just there part time as she is in Kindergarden half the day

If i remember correctly there is a cap of 14k for the tax deductable part - We were audited this year just on the childcare portion of our taxes
Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough

Thank you for replies,

Is that full time places Tuppence?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Costs me close on 1400 a month for my 2 ( 5yr old and 2 yr old) and thats with the 5 yr old just there part time as she is in Kindergarden half the day

If i remember correctly there is a cap of 14k for the tax deductable part - We were audited this year just on the childcare portion of our taxes

Should also point out that the tax break is given to the lower household earner only and it must be on "earned" income only

Got caught out that way 2 years back - The wife was on maternity leave for the year so claimed EI - EI doesent count as "earned" income so we had no choice but to leave the tax break on the table even though our accountant tried every which way possible to change the break to myself
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds about right for two kids. Ours maxed at about $7k for the one.

Thank you for replies,

Is that full time places Tuppence?
Yep, full time, 7am to 6pm, in a private facility with the option of a Montessori stream.
Don't be late on the pickup though - $1 a minute (got caught with that once when I had train issues).
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thank you

Louise
We pay $46.50 p/day for our 3 year old in all day nursery (7am to 6pm) and $26.00 p/day for our 6 year in after school at the same place. We haven't claimed yet but I hear that it's tax deductible to $7,000 limit annually.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

We were audited last year on childcare costs. I think its fairly common if you have high costs.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:55 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when they "audit" you? Do you have to produce the receipts and that's it or is there more to it than that?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
What happens when they "audit" you? Do you have to produce the receipts and that's it or is there more to it than that?
We had to provide all the receipts that had to have the kids names on them as well as amounts and dates - For the youngest one who was being cared for in someones home we had to provide the name address and social insurance # for her

I think that was it - I will double check the letter when i get home
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Same for us. Just audited on childcare. I think if your costs are high (I had two in and paid for full-time even though I worked part-time, oh those heady days of the clagary boom) you may be automatically audited