Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child support from UK

Child support from UK

Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Potet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child support from UK

hi, my 13 year old son and I lives here in Canada for a year now and we wanted to know if there is any chance we could demand a child support from his father who lives in London, UK.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child support from UK

Originally Posted by Potet
hi, my 13 year old son and I lives here in Canada for a year now and we wanted to know if there is any chance we could demand a child support from his father who lives in London, UK.
Are you currently married? Is there an Order in the UK that requires him to pay child support?

In which Province do you currently reside?
Old Jul 9th 2018, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are you currently married? Is there an Order in the UK that requires him to pay child support?

In which Province do you currently reside?
i am a single mom and never been married, we were once in a common law partner in Philippines, then he travel to UK to work and we were left behind . Trying to make a good future for my son so we get here in Canada.

never had any idea about how to do a request of order to require him to give support. Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2018, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

i am a single mom and never been married, we were once in a common law partner in Philippines, then he travel to UK to work and we were left behind . Trying to make a good future for my son so we get here in Canada.

never had any idea about how to do a request of order to require him to give support. Thanks
i am in British Columbia
Old Jul 9th 2018, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

My son and I reside in British Columbia Province.
[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 9th 2018, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

i am in British Columbia
I believe that, under the provisions of the family law act in BC, you will be able to commence proceedings in BC to obtain a child support Order in BC. Once you have that, you will then need to attempt to enforce it in the UK. It shouldn't be that difficult and I anticipate that the biggest hurdle will be serving him in the UK. If you use a process server, it should be relatively straightforward. Once you have your BC child support Order, FMEP will likely be able to assist you with enforcement in the UK. However, FMEP are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, so you will have to keep on top of them.

Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2018, 3:26 am
Just Joined

thank you, I will check the steps in Canadian immigration website so I will be guided with the ideas you gave.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, I will check the steps in Canadian immigration website so I will be guided with the ideas you gave.
The Canadian immigration site has nothing to do with child support. You need a family lawyer or to petition the family court without legal help. CIC is not responsible for family law matters.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Oh okey, copy that . Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:45 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Only a british court/law or a country with a REMO agreement can require someone to pay child support from britain, but theres a legal process you have to follow / pay for. I bet theres also a way to appeal against it / negate it too so be careful.

Read this, canada except quebec? is covered.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...e-orders-remos
Old Jul 10th 2018, 11:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What I would do is to copy Almost Canadian's post number 6 into the body of an email, stick quotes around it and add some framing text such as:

I need to do the following and am looking for someone to act for me. Please let me know if this type of work is of interest to you and approximately what it would cost at each stage.

I'd then google for family lawyers close to me and send them all a copy. If any responded I'd ask for a free half and hour with them, visit them all and ask the one I felt offered the best balance of competence and rapport with me to pursue the matter. I'd then step out of their way and await news (and bills).
Old Jul 10th 2018, 12:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...I'd then google for family lawyers close to me and send them all a copy. If any responded... visit them all
Sounds good advice. But for "if any responded" read "the one that responds" as you're lucky to get one who does.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What I would do is to copy Almost Canadian's post number 6 into the body of an email, stick quotes around it and add some framing text such as:

I need to do the following and am looking for someone to act for me. Please let me know if this type of work is of interest to you and approximately what it would cost at each stage.

I'd then google for family lawyers close to me and send them all a copy. If any responded I'd ask for a free half and hour with them, visit them all and ask the one I felt offered the best balance of competence and rapport with me to pursue the matter. I'd then step out of their way and await news (and bills).
This is good advice. I'd suggest that the OP's first port of call should be the Lawyer Referral Service offered by the Law Society of BC. Details of it are here: BC Lawyer Referral
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sounds good advice. But for "if any responded" read "the one that responds" as you're lucky to get one who does.
That's how I found my, corporate, lawyer. It took me a couple of hours to write out what had to be done and only a few minutes to send it to all the law firms in southern Ontario. Just like asking for a quote for the garage roof or for a new car. A young associate at a big firm responded and we went on from there. I'm sure there are lots of firms that are too grand to look at unsolicited email but that's their loss, someone will be hungry for the work.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

.....A young associate at a big firm responded and we went on from there. I'm sure there are lots of firms that are too grand to look at unsolicited email but that's their loss, someone will be hungry for the work.
I've done it for realtors, roofers, lawyers, dentists...some more than once...lucky to get one response, rarely a second and often none.

Very different for repair people. They respond. Hungry I suppose.