Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:00 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
His daughter's mother could certainly come after him here but, if it makes him swell to think to supporting his child is a gesture of "good will", I suppose it does no harm to indulge the arsehole.
I love how conclusions are jumped to and name calling starts without 1% of the facts. All I had said was he had been told by a lawyer (Im not one so cant say whether right or wrong) she cannot force him to send it back, he does this willingly of his own back cus he loves he daughter and if you actually knew anything about the guy you would feel sorry for him (like a lot of guys in similar position) cus he spends a fortune going back and forth to see her and also bringing her out here & spoiling her her on the odd occasion the 'asshole' of a mother can be bothered to let him have her, after all its the asshole of a mother being like that that led him to think f**k it what have I got to stay in the UK for?

Sorry for the long explanation but sometimes you just have to induldge certain muppets who rant of topic and think they know better & can bash other people for the sake of it.

Are there any trees around to hug?

Last edited by Mikey B; Jun 21st 2008 at 3:04 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

I got exactly the same impression as did dbd33 so I can well understand the arsehole comment. You should have been more precise in the initial post.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:24 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I got exactly the same impression as did dbd33 so I can well understand the arsehole comment. You should have been more precise in the initial post.
Why do I need to be more precise? I'm not the one looking for advice or judgements on me or what I do and I never will (or even in this completely ridiculous case my friend). I was simply passing on some of my relevant experience to someone who asked for help, its upto them what they do with it.

Yet again this is another example (just like the leaving debt in UK thread to name 1 of many I have seen) of a number of people on this forum who dont actually use it for what its designed for - to help others and pass on relevant info but have nothing better to do than rant, criticize, be political, judgemental and get on their high horse with their holier and though attitude and hug trees.

You say you got that impression as did dbd33? I cant for the life of me imagine why the hell you both would care what me or friends do or have done? Surely there are more important things in your life than to be concerned with, comment on and judge mine (a joe blow from a brit website you dont even know)? What I or my friends do is of no concern to you or anyone else (certainly on this forum who I dont now from Adam) so I thank you to leave those sort of comments to yourself and if you have nothing constructive to be said to help the original poster then maybe its best to not say anything at all and keep yourself to yourself and then the world would be a much better place.

P.S I really love tree huggers
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Why do I need to be more precise?
You fail to see the point. I am not going to waste my time trying to explain. Perhaps some here with more patience, or who have more time on their hands, will do so?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Hi to all of you

Thanks for all your replies.

I would like to contribute financially to my daughter as I am doing at present. But my question was mainly to those who are making CSA payments whilst they are in Canada. As you all know the payment is a percentage of your salary but it will be in Canadian dollars not British pound.

Just for your information, I am paying £295 monthly but actually I found out that my ex is receiving only £104 and the rest is taken by the Treasury.

I think I will need to inform the CSA that i am moving abroad and see what happens from there.

Any suggestions.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:30 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibbye13
Hi to all of you

Thanks for all your replies.

I would like to contribute financially to my daughter as I am doing at present. But my question was mainly to those who are making CSA payments whilst they are in Canada. As you all know the payment is a percentage of your salary but it will be in Canadian dollars not British pound.

Just for your information, I am paying £295 monthly but actually I found out that my ex is receiving only £104 and the rest is taken by the Treasury.

I think I will need to inform the CSA that i am moving abroad and see what happens from there.

Any suggestions.
I am not understanding, what you are not understanding....CSA payments on CSA2 are, as you say, a straight percentage of your wages. When you leave the UK, CSA loses jurisdiction to collect from your salary. This is where the misleading advice comes in, because the CSA will tell you that they will close the file, which they will. That is not the end of the matter, however, if the PWC knows what to do next.

If you want to continue to pay for your child, (good for you ) then you just do so, privately, by arrangement with the PWC. Your ex is clearly on benefits, possibly working tax credits (?) by the amount(s) that you gave, if the Treasury keep some, or all of the child support you currently pay. It is then up to her if she tells the Benefits Agency, because the child support from you in Canada is classed as "other" income attributed to her. I doubt any sane PWC would agree to 15% of Canadian dollar wages, as that effectively cuts the child support she gets in half upon exchange. You may have to negotiate a set amount both of you agree on.

I do not know where you are with the emigration process, but you may have to sign a paper for CIC, setting out how you intend to maintain your child in the UK, particularly if your ex demands it. Your child is usually listed on your application as a dependant, whether or not that child lives with you, and if you do not list the child, it creates a whole new set of issues for you. If the child is not listed, the child can never be sponsored by you to come here. In those cases, the PWC has to provide a letter for CIC, which agrees to your financial arrangements for the child. Best to get it sorted nicely, then.

If you (hypothetically) chose not to pay after you got here, then the PWC can get a court order and go through REMO. Her court order will be in £ sterling and will be paid to her in £ sterling, by you, through the local Maintenance Enforcement Program. Easy example - exchange rate is $2 to the £. PWC gets a court order for £300 per month back in the UK. You will have to cough up $600 per month to the local MEP, who forward it back to the REMO admin in the UK, who pay her. That $600 may be far more than 15% of your wages, as the amount would have been under CSA2, but those CSA percentage rules cannot be applied in Canada. The UK court ordered amount is what is enforced, regardless of what you earn here. If you refuse to pay the MEP, they can garnish up to 33.3% of your gross wages, stop your drivers license, seize your assets etc. In other words, not a good plan to P.O. the UK PWC, as wages are lower here (on average) and you are potentially on the hook for £ sterling amounts, if she knows what she is doing, regardless of what you earn in $ here.

The other PWC option is to apply for a court order in your Canadian province of residence, based on the fact that the payor (you) lives here. That amount is based on Federal Child Support Guidelines, which are slightly adjusted in each province, and is based on your gross Canadian income. For example, if you earn $60,000 here, you pay $591/month for one child in BC, or $557 for one child in Ontario.

These Guidelines are found here:
http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/sup-pen/grl/pdftab.htm

Simply put, for your own peace of mind, making a private arrangement with the PWC is likely in everyone's best interests.
If the PWC chooses not to disclose the income, it is not your problem. Just ensure that you keep receipts, such as Western Union transfer dockets, in case things get nasty down the road. I hope this answers your question. The average CSA worker does not deal with REMO cases much, and poor advice invariably results. The outcome of that advice down the road can be catastrophic for the payor.

Last edited by dingbat; Jun 22nd 2008 at 3:44 am. Reason: Missed a bit.