Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough
Default Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Hi

I am moving to Canada in a few months. Medical already done. I am currently paying CSA to my ex-wife for my daughter. I have no contact with both of them. Been paying for last 3 years now. What will happen to my payments when i move to Canada?

Any advice pls.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:09 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Originally Posted by ibbye13
Hi

I am moving to Canada in a few months. Medical already done. I am currently paying CSA to my ex-wife for my daughter. I have no contact with both of them. Been paying for last 3 years now. What will happen to my payments when i move to Canada?

Any advice pls.
I imagine that you will have to continue paying. If you default, your ex or the CSA can probably apply to the courts here to have your pay docked. I left money in the UK to pay mine. It goes out as a standing order (not through the CSA) and I top up the bank account as necessary.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of
Default Re: Child Support Agency payments ...what will happen to them when i move to Canada?

Well, I am receiving money for my son from my ex. According to the CSA (yesterday), my ex will not have to pay anymore when I move to Canada.

My OH, who is paying for kids in his first marriage, will also (according to CSA yesterday) not have to pay anymore when he eventually moves to Canada.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanes
Well, I am receiving money for my son from my ex. According to the CSA (yesterday), my ex will not have to pay anymore when I move to Canada.

My OH, who is paying for kids in his first marriage, will also (according to CSA yesterday) not have to pay anymore when he eventually moves to Canada.
That amazes me.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That amazes me.
There must be more to this than it seems. In general buggering off to another country and leaving the kids to starve is not something condoned by the courts.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:27 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That amazes me.
I agree.

I can see how legally you may be able to avoid payment by leaving the jurisdiction of the Court, but I don't see how you can escape your Moral responsibility to help pay for the expenses of your child.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I agree.

I can see how legally you may be able to avoid payment by leaving the jurisdiction of the Court, but I don't see how you can escape your Moral responsibility to help pay for the expenses of your child.
I'm not even sure you can escape the courts. I've been told by lawyers that, regardless of what I write in my will here, my ex could still make a claim in the courts here against my estate in Canada with regard to child maintenance.

Maybe the CSA is just too lazy.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

We checked into this in-depth before my husband moved to Canada a couple of years ago what we found out was the CSA has no jurisdiction once the payer leaves the country the parent receiving the support would have to take up the cost of applying to the court in the Province in Canada that the non custodial parent moves too. So if you have a ex who does not want to be fair you could go after him or her but it would be costly for you to do.

CSA can and will send you request for payment but can not enforce you to pay once you leave the country. The custodial parent can request to opt out of CSA and you can make your own personal support arrangements.

My husband and I made arrangements with his son's mother to continue paying support to her directly when he moved here as it is the right thing to do, this is his child and he needs to be contributing. The only thing we did was to re-neonate with her the dollar amount to reflect the fact that he now makes Canadian dollars and not British Pounds. So she gets a bit less and we also pay for all of his visitation cost to come from the UK to BC every summer and we also send him a monthly allowance along with his moms support.

Island Girl
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:05 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.officialsolicitor.gov.uk/os/remo.htm

The ex only has to apply through REMO, a relatively simple process. Best to make an arrangement to continue to pay, before the local MEP get involved. Most provincial MEP's have a few more teeth than the CSA, and it is the local MEP in your province that will enforce your continuing obligation.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:32 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I should perhaps mention, that there are people who assist Parents With Custody left in the UK, to trace Non Resident Parents, who cease paying for their children, once they move to Canada. Access to private details is not as well guarded over here, so it really is a case of you can run, but you can't hide these days.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

I wasn't going to suggest in my initial post that my OH will stop paying for his kids when (if) we ever move to Canada! I was merely saying what the CSA told me.

They did mention that there is no jurisdiction once person leaves UK. However, I am going to write a letter to them tomorrow to clarify the situation.

I agree that people should pay for their kids, but if someone who leaves the country still has to pay, then the paying parent who stays in the UK should also still have to pay for the child, even if that child lives in another country. They said my ex won't have to pay a penny for his son.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:51 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by TheCanes
I wasn't going to suggest in my initial post that my OH will stop paying for his kids when (if) we ever move to Canada! I was merely saying what the CSA told me.

They did mention that there is no jurisdiction once person leaves UK. However, I am going to write a letter to them tomorrow to clarify the situation.

I agree that people should pay for their kids, but if someone who leaves the country still has to pay, then the paying parent who stays in the UK should also still have to pay for the child, even if that child lives in another country. They said my ex won't have to pay a penny for his son.
REMO goes both ways.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:05 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

My British friend here in ON has a daughter in the UK and looked into this a few years back, he sends the money back of his own good will and apparently if he decides to stop there is nothing that can be done, they dont have juristiction here.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
My British friend here in ON has a daughter in the UK and looked into this a few years back, he sends the money back of his own good will and apparently if he decides to stop there is nothing that can be done, they dont have juristiction here.
His daughter's mother could certainly come after him here but, if it makes him swell to think to supporting his child is a gesture of "good will", I suppose it does no harm to indulge the arsehole.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:15 am
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Mikey B
This is a very unwise position. "They", as in each province, can (and do) enforce UK child support, using the provisions of REMO, upon application by the PWC. All it requires for a UK based PWC is a trip to the local magistrates court and a few stamps to mail relevant documentation. All it requires here, is an order or an agreement filed in court for child support.

REMO is becoming quite popular, actually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.