Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child Immunisations

Child Immunisations

Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Lullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Child Immunisations

Hi everyone,
So within a couple of months of us moving to Toronto my youngest daughter will be due her 1 year immunisation jabs. I have been following the NHS required schedule here in Malta at a private hospital. Is it possible for me to find somewhere that she can have this done quite quickly when we arrive. I'm prepared to pay private if that's what needs to be done. Many thanks
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Immunisations

Any walk in, or family doc if you get registered. The local health unit where you're moving to will likely also have clinics listed on their website.

If the vaccinations she's already had aren't on the same schedule, or if there are any missing, they will want you to have them redone. If you don't want to do that, or double up on vaccinations, or want to exclude any you don't want, then you can get an exemption form once she starts school. I put that in because some friends of mine moved from Holland and they were a month off the required schedule here, so the health unit wanted them redone, the parents didn't, so that's what they did.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Lullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond repute

Great thanks Dashie, that's really put my mind at rest
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and to add to that, if you wait until you've been here for your 3 month waiting period, you won't need to pay. The ages given are minimums, so no harm waiting a few weeks.

Here's the schedule for Ontario so you can compare, and see in advance if there are any you don't want to do. I know lots of people skipping chicken pox and flu, others selectively vaccinating, and others who decline all or most of them, and others who follow it 100%

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...s/schedule.pdf
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Dashie that's been really helpful thankyou for the help I really appreciate it
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

You're welcome
Old Oct 28th 2014, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if Ontario is the same, but here in BC we will provide public funded immunizations free to those eligible. Clients do not have to have MSP (Provincial Healthcare) to receive them free. In BC, it is Public Health Nurses (like me!) that give the immunizations to children, at the local health unit.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not sure on the eligibility before OHIP kicks in, but if they'll have it a couple of weeks later anyway, no harm waiting. Family docs, walk ins and health unit nurses and doctors can do it.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I'm not sure on the eligibility before OHIP kicks in, but if they'll have it a couple of weeks later anyway, no harm waiting. Family docs, walk ins and health unit nurses and doctors can do it.
Pharmacists can also administer some vaccines in BC, including the following if over 5 years old.

Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine
Hepatitis A and B vaccines
Tetanus/Diphtheria vaccine
Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine
HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccine
Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine
Meningococcal C Conjugate vaccine
Pertussis vaccine
Seasonal Flu shot

It's possible they can do more then what is on the list, this is just whats on the list I picked up at the pharmacy and these are just the public funded ones, they can also administer travel vaccines and other non-covered vaccines.

Does anyone know how an adult can prove they have been vaccinated if medical records/immunization records are not available?

Does one have to just get them over again?

I have a doctor appointment next month and will ask doc then, but thought someone here may know.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:37 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Pharmacists can also administer some vaccines in BC, including the following if over 5 years old.

Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine
Hepatitis A and B vaccines
Tetanus/Diphtheria vaccine
Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine
HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccine
Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine
Meningococcal C Conjugate vaccine
Pertussis vaccine
Seasonal Flu shot

It's possible they can do more then what is on the list, this is just whats on the list I picked up at the pharmacy and these are just the public funded ones, they can also administer travel vaccines and other non-covered vaccines.

Does anyone know how an adult can prove they have been vaccinated if medical records/immunization records are not available?

Does one have to just get them over again?

I have a doctor appointment next month and will ask doc then, but thought someone here may know.
A blood test should prove immunity...
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
A blood test should prove immunity...
I shall ask the doctor. Thanks. I wasn't sure if something was even possible...

I need to prove certain vaccines/immunity for a couple of diseases for a program I am looking into.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I shall ask the doctor. Thanks. I wasn't sure if something was even possible...

I need to prove certain vaccines/immunity for a couple of diseases for a program I am looking into.
I'm not sure of family history so I apologise if I say something wrong....can your mother not tell you.. Generally I think most people are vaccinated unless there is a specific reason not to which then usually crops up in conversation ie history of vaccine injury/parental reason against it.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

They're going to Ontario though, not BC. Pharmacists have only recently been given the green light for flu jabs, I'm not aware that they can do anything else.

Blood tests can prove immunity, but not whether you've been vaccinated. My midwife ran titres for rubella and chicken pox. I've never had chicken pox to my knowledge or been vaccinated against it but I am immune somehow.

Might be good to check if they need proof of vaccinations, or if proof of immunity is enough. Tirytory, from my experience here, they want pieces of paper. 'My mum said I had it done when I was 4' doesn't seem to cut it. For school here, they would want not only proof that they had been done, but also proof that it was after a certain age, otherwise you either need to get an exemption or get them done again. So if the course is asking for proof, I think it likely the same applies. Hopefully they'll accept test results showing immunity if you can.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I'm not sure of family history so I apologise if I say something wrong....can your mother not tell you.. Generally I think most people are vaccinated unless there is a specific reason not to which then usually crops up in conversation ie history of vaccine injury/parental reason against it.
My mom is pretty sure I got everything done when I was younger and in school, but the school want's an official source of the info.

I am not concerned about not having them as all indications is I do, the school just needs proof.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My mom is pretty sure I got everything done when I was younger and in school, but the school want's an official source of the info.

I am not concerned about not having them as all indications is I do, the school just needs proof.
As Tirytory says, you can ask your GP for a titre test. A blood test will determine whether you are immune to things which would indicate that either a) you've been vaccinated or b) you've had the disease and have built immunities. I needed the same thing before I could go on clinical placement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.