Reload this Page >

Cheshire is closed!

Wikiposts

Cheshire is closed!

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:28 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheshire is closed!

Originally Posted by Gray C
It is snowing again here. Not much yet, but watch this space.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour"
And I imagine that temperatures are plummeting and may reach close to zero.

CALL OUT THE ARMY!!!!!

<Opens beer bottle with teeth. Strokes pet beaver.>
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gray C
It is snowing again here. Not much yet, but watch this space.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour"
Lots more snow here in Wales. Last night was the coldest March night here for 49 years, but they expect tonight to be colder at minus 10. Not quite Canadian but it's good practice eh?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Lots more snow here in Wales. Last night was the coldest March night here for 49 years, but they expect tonight to be colder at minus 10. Not quite Canadian but it's good practice eh?
Bear in mind that minus 10 is an important number. Anything below that and it's generally safe to put on gloves and a toque without people laughing at you and calling you names.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Bear in mind that minus 10 is an important number. Anything below that and it's generally safe to put on gloves and a toque without people laughing at you and calling you names.
Well, at least it doesn't look as though you'll need them in Gatineau if the Government weather forecasts are correct because you're warmer than us!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Well, at least it doesn't look as though you'll need them in Gatineau if the Government weather forecasts are correct because you're warmer than us!
We are indeed at a balmy minus 8 at the moment. I've just been outside, though, and I can assure you that the minus 17 wind-chill is very real. It's an ear-slicer.

I see from the 14-day forecast that we should be up in the teens by next weekend. This is Mother Nature being a ratbag. She does it every year. The temperatures will likely go even higher than that, perhaps into the 20s for a couple of days. Then Mother will dish out one final, hard, kick in the nuts. Essentially, this means everything she has in stock and has to get rid of before mud season.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:49 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

What nobody is admitting here is that when Canada get its equivalent in extreme weather they go to pieces too..

The silly days ‘here’ are ice storms..

People do stay at home on “snow days” that is until the ploughs have done all their work.

And Toronto will always be ribbed by the Quebecers, because they called the army in once to help clear the snow

And for Vancouver snow disrupts the place just like the UK inch for inch in chaos
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We are indeed at a balmy minus 8 at the moment. I've just been outside, though, and I can assure you that the minus 17 wind-chill is very real. It's an ear-slicer.

I see from the 14-day forecast that we should be up in the teens by next weekend. This is Mother Nature being a ratbag. She does it every year. The temperatures will likely go even higher than that, perhaps into the 20s for a couple of days. Then Mother will dish out one final, hard, kick in the nuts. Essentially, this means everything she has in stock and has to get rid of before mud season.
I've heard that happens every year. Whilst it may look a bit like Canada here at the moment, it doesn't feel like it, I experienced the wind chill in NB before Christmas and it was excrutiating at times. This is different in that it is extreme for us here, we are not equipped to deal with it and everything has gone to pieces up here. Since last summer the forecasters had been predicting the coldest UK Winter for 50 years. This hasn't happened, but you'd have thought our local council might have been on stand-by with a couple of gritters. On the plus side, it's been great to see the kids having fun on the mountain and a snowman in every garden, and it probably won't last too much longer. I don't mind the snow at all, but miss those little things like a postal service, a newspaper and a loaf of bread!