Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheaper areas with period properties

Cheaper areas with period properties

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cheaper areas with period properties

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
The other option would be to buy a conversion apartment in a nicer area. I'd rather chop my own head off than live in Leslieville quite frankly, and the properties there are very expensive for what you get. E.g. proximity to the bread factory....
I spose that's a matter of taste - I haven't seen the area with my own eyes yet so I'll keep an open mind!

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
If you want to know of a really good real estate agent, I'm happy to give you a recommendation of the guy who got me my place in Little Italy...
Yes please - can you PM me the details?

What kind of property have you got in Little Italy?

Suze
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Pure guess based on how much I have now and how much I think that will increase by the time I move, plus how much I think I could borrow: maybe a budget of $250-300k??

Suze

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not when I bought it. Still, what we need is a budget, if we're looking for a character house that's reasonable in price by London standards, there's lots to choose from.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzey
Pure guess based on how much I have now and how much I think that will increase by the time I move, plus how much I think I could borrow: maybe a budget of $250-300k??

Suze

Do you need a house? Would half a converted house work?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

I don't need a house, so a conversion could work... is my budget too meagre even for the likes of Leslieville then?

Suze

Do you need a house? Would half a converted house work?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need a house, so a conversion could work... is my budget too meagre even for the likes of Leslieville then?

Suze
It's not huge. On mls you can select Toronto West, Central and East and display all the houses offered between $250,000 and $300,000. I started paging through them. If you discount Etobicoke and Scarborough as being too suburban you're left with places that are "convenient for the amenties of the junction" (mainly hookers) or "handy for 24 ttc" (literally six feet from the streetcar turning loop.

A loft might be an option, there's always the problem that real lofts are a bit off the beaten track but they're sometimes interesting spaces.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If you'd like to see some really shabby stuff, select Toronto Central, remove the remote or dangerous bits C6,7,14,15,13 and choose single family <$300,000.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

How's this?

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=5360702

It's not downtown but it is a nice area.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, some of them look a bit... old-fashioned, shall we say - and not in a good way! LOL!

My turn to turn my nose up - I wouldn't live in Scarborough if you paid me

I thought this looked fine: http://tinyurl.com/yw48md although it's obv not "old" old and there aren't any photos of the inside, which makes me wonder a bit.

Funnily enough, I did think about lofts at first but then thought I'd look at the house idea - so I'm not against the idea of a loft either.

Suze

It's not huge. On mls you can select Toronto West, Central and East and display all the houses offered between $250,000 and $300,000. I started paging through them. If you discount Etobicoke and Scarborough as being too suburban you're left with places that are "convenient for the amenties of the junction" (mainly hookers) or "handy for 24 ttc" (literally six feet from the streetcar turning loop.

A loft might be an option, there's always the problem that real lofts are a bit off the beaten track but they're sometimes interesting spaces.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm... yes. Some look shabby on the outside (the one on the tinyurl I just posted looks alright) but may be alright inside. Know what you mean though.

Suze

If you'd like to see some really shabby stuff, select Toronto Central, remove the remote or dangerous bits C6,7,14,15,13 and choose single family <$300,000.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Wow!!!

Suze

How's this?

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=5360702

It's not downtown but it is a nice area.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yes, some of them look a bit... old-fashioned, shall we say - and not in a good way! LOL!

My turn to turn my nose up - I wouldn't live in Scarborough if you paid me

I thought this looked fine: http://tinyurl.com/yw48md although it's obv not "old" old and there aren't any photos of the inside, which makes me wonder a bit.

Funnily enough, I did think about lofts at first but then thought I'd look at the house idea - so I'm not against the idea of a loft either.

Suze
I haven't suggested Scarborough I think it's too suburban. I'd be interested though to know what you have against the area.

I don't know the area where the one you linked is. The house looks alright.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Wow!!!

Suze
You could walk to http://home.istar.ca/~feathers/

I often do!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Which area is the aforementioned house in?

Suze

You could walk to http://home.istar.ca/~feathers/

I often do!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Which area is the aforementioned house in?

Suze
Upper Beach. It's either on Malvern Ave or Hannaford St. Just north of Kingston Rd between Woodbine and Victoria Park. It's an easy walk to two 24hr streetcars but not to the subway. A disadvantage is that the streetcar route splits at Kingston Rd and Queen and most of the cars go along Queen. Another, arguable, disadvantage is that it's dog central, almost everyone has a dog or three.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought this looked fine: http://tinyurl.com/yw48md although it's obv not "old" old and there aren't any photos of the inside, which makes me wonder a bit.Suze
Stop wondering. The text gives it away. "a bit of paint...a bit of work".

It's a wreck.

And it's ony 14 feet wide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.