Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheaper areas with period properties

Cheaper areas with period properties

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future
Default Cheaper areas with period properties

Hi all

I did start a thread on Cabbagetown as it was the only cheaper area in Toronto I had heard of which had a lot of period properties.

I'll be moving to TO by summer 2009 at the latest and, at the moment, I'm doing my fact finding on the Internet as I'm not sure when I'll be visiting TO next.

When I was there last summer I saw loads of condo buildings going up and, to be quite honest, I didn't fancy living in one. I'd prefer to live in an older property with a bit of character. I can't afford to buy in the UK and will rent when I first arrive in TO, but would like to buy somewhere eventually (preferably a small house or maybe a loft apartment) that's not too far from downtown TO.

Can anyone who knows Toronto recommend to me some areas which aren't at the higher end of the price scale and which have a lot of period properties? I'm not too fussed what era - I'm thinking Victorian or Edwardian, but only cos my knowledge is hazy to say the least - and I can't afford a huge house. I'm just really trying to find out the sorts of areas I should be looking at.

TIA

Suze

Last edited by Suzey; Jan 22nd 2007 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheaper areas with period properties

Originally Posted by Suzey
Hi all

I did start a thread on Cabbagetown as it was the only cheaper area in Toronto I had heard of which had a lot of period properties.

I'll be moving to TO by summer 2009 at the latest and, at the moment, I'm doing my fact finding on the Internet as I'm not sure when I'll be visiting TO next.

When I was there last summer I saw loads of condo buildings going up and, to be quite honest, I didn't fancy living in one. I'd prefer to live in an older property with a bit of character. I can't afford to buy in the UK and will rent when I first arrive in TO, but would like to buy somewhere eventually (preferably a small house or maybe a loft apartment).

Can anyone who knows Toronto recommend to me some areas which aren't at the higher end of the price scale and which have a lot of period properties? I'm not too fussed what era - I'm thinking Victorian or Edwardian, but only cos my knowledge is hazy to say the least - and I can't afford a huge house. I'm just really trying to find out the sorts of areas I should be looking at.

TIA

Suze
Corktown?

Leslieville?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Just done a quick search and both look great! Thanks!!!

Suze

Originally Posted by dbd33
Corktown?

Leslieville?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzey
Just done a quick search and both look great! Thanks!!!

Suze
Corktown is rougher but nearer downtown, it's often mentioned as being about to be gentrified but never is. It's not as rough as Cabbagetown. It's near the film studios and a lot of people locally are employed in that business (not mainly as matinee idols but set builders, make up people, prop supply and so on). The film business is going down the tubes so that should keep prices reasonable.

I used to live in Leslieville, when it was properly cheap. Property values there have crept up but it's still not expensive because it's not really anywhere. A short ride on the tram gets you to the beach strip or, the other way, downtown, but all Leslieville has is a lot of shops that are moving from junk to antiques and a couple of excellent restaurants. It's not too far to walk to the boardwalk from there though and, of course, the Tulip, Toronto's shrine to dead cow, is there.

Somewhere else worth a look is what's now called South Riverdale, it's that bit between Gerrard and Queen along Pape. It used to be quite dodgy but a friend who lives there tells me it's getting more civilised as "the queers more south from Riverdale proper". I don't think she keeps up with developments very well as we took the dog to obedience training there a couple of years ago and were the only different sex couple in the class. It has old houses, including terraces built as railwaymens' cottages, which are now quite fashionable, if nearly impossible to insure.

I don't know the west end very well but I'm sure it has equivalent areas. It'd be best to rent somewhere central at first and explore. I'd aim for the St Lawrence Market area, I loved it there even if it is all apartments.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

Again, it's hard to disagree with this guy's opinions : http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Corktown is rougher but nearer downtown, it's often mentioned as being about to be gentrified but never is.
That's good - I don't think I can afford really gentrified anyway! I keep trying to compare the areas with bits of south London that I know when you talk about them (funny how you compared with north London btw) but it's like comparing apples with pears, obv.

It's not as rough as Cabbagetown.
That's something I spose!!!

It's near the film studios and a lot of people locally are employed in that business (not mainly as matinee idols but set builders, make up people, prop supply and so on). The film business is going down the tubes so that should keep prices reasonable.
I see... any idea what mls.ca reference it is?

I used to live in Leslieville, when it was properly cheap.
Cheap? How cheap?

Property values there have crept up but it's still not expensive because it's not really anywhere. A short ride on the tram gets you to the beach strip or, the other way, downtown, but all Leslieville has is a lot of shops that are moving from junk to antiques and a couple of excellent restaurants.
Sounds alright for me. I would rather have a nice place to call my own, with a bit of character, and be able to get downtown fairly quickly and easily than live right in the thick of things and pay loads for a condo I don't even like.

I wonder if your idea of inexpensive corresponds with mine. I'm not bringing huge amounts of cash as I'm not selling a place here but I'd hope that I'd be able to get onto the property ladder a bit easier than I would here. With any luck exchange rates will keep going up while I'm saving here and the exchange rate will be kind to me when I'm ready to move.

Somewhere else worth a look is what's now called South Riverdale, it's that bit between Gerrard and Queen along Pape. It used to be quite dodgy but a friend who lives there tells me it's getting more civilised as "the queers more south from Riverdale proper". I don't think she keeps up with developments very well as we took the dog to obedience training there a couple of years ago and were the only different sex couple in the class. It has old houses, including terraces built as railwaymens' cottages, which are now quite fashionable, if nearly impossible to insure.
They sound nice, I'll see if I can find anything...

I don't know the west end very well but I'm sure it has equivalent areas.
Yes - I bet they're more expensive though.

It'd be best to rent somewhere central at first and explore. I'd aim for the St Lawrence Market area, I loved it there even if it is all apartments.
That's what I aim to do - I'd hate to jump into buying and realising it's a bad neighbourhood too late in the day.

I've heard a few good things about Roncesvalles but I believe it's a bit newer than the sort of stuff I have in mind?

Suze
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

I've checked out a couple of areas... he doesn't say much about Cabbagetown (and definitely nothing bad)! I'll have a browse...

thanks

Suze

Again, it's hard to disagree with this guy's opinions : http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:04 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

The other option would be to buy a conversion apartment in a nicer area. I'd rather chop my own head off than live in Leslieville quite frankly, and the properties there are very expensive for what you get. E.g. proximity to the bread factory....

If you want to know of a really good real estate agent, I'm happy to give you a recommendation of the guy who got me my place in Little Italy...
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I'd rather chop my own head off than live in Leslieville quite frankly, and the properties there are very expensive for what you get. E.g. proximity to the bread factory.....
I didn't claim it was scenic, but look at this for a luxurious house at a bargain price:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=5280171

this one comes complete with tenants and work orders:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=5269498

The area is E01 on mls.

What does $250,000 get you in Little Italy (besides lots of railings and pillars)?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:23 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's a good question.... not very much probably...

But a duplex or conversion might be possible on that money though...

Incidentially I do have a wrought iron fence in my front yard, and pillars on the porch.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't claim it was scenic, but look at this for a luxurious house at a bargain price:
Good grief.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

More seriously, this looks a sensible price in not a bad location, if you can find a company to insure it.

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=5371730

Roncesvalles is an older area, novocastrian lived there for a while and may comment. I have the idea that it's too expensive but then I'm not sure how much is too much.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Good grief.
As you know, this one isn't a great deal better than that and it went for a fraction under $400,000.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

As you know, this one isn't a great deal better than that and it went for a fraction under $400,000.
I recall your place as being a tad nicer than those two.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I recall your place as being a tad nicer than those two.
Not when I bought it. Still, what we need is a budget, if we're looking for a character house that's reasonable in price by London standards, there's lots to choose from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.