Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A cheap house!!

A cheap house!!

Old May 28th 2005, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default A cheap house!!

I have a lovely book, I got it when my dad, who was a chartered surveyor, died. Here is a page showing a house for sale:

[IMG][/IMG]

The book was published on March 10th, 1933. Its called London and Suburbs Old & New and its bound in a lovely dark red leather cover. Can you imagine publishing a hard cover book for houses for sale!

I wonder if the house is still there - 5 minutes from Kenley station - and if so - how much is it worth now??
Old May 28th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A cheap house!!

Wow, what a lovely flashback to times gone by. I bet the house is still there, I love how it was marketed that long ago with 'health benefits' but still great transport links to town. Some things actually don't change much.

I grew up in Chipstead, Surrey and my parents still live there so know the area well. Funny to see it in a book so long ago.

Hmm, made me all nostalgic for home.

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I have a lovely book, I got it when my dad, who was a chartered surveyor, died. Here is a page showing a house for sale:

[IMG][/IMG]

The book was published on March 10th, 1933. Its called London and Suburbs Old & New and its bound in a lovely dark red leather cover. Can you imagine publishing a hard cover book for houses for sale!

I wonder if the house is still there - 5 minutes from Kenley station - and if so - how much is it worth now??
Old May 28th 2005, 6:56 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

[IMG][/IMG]

Great stuff! Is the rest of the book mainly other listings? Or is there other info?
Old May 28th 2005, 9:03 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I had a search and found this place in Kenley "5 minutes from the station". It's not identical but probably around the same price-range as "your" house would be if it's still there

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent...rop&pid=232413
Old May 28th 2005, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

The book is mainly houses for sale on new Estates - from Watford to Thames Ditton. Then at the back is an Income or Wages Table, showing that if you earn £1 a year, it works out to 3/4 (which must have been 3 farthings!) a day. That is the lowest income and the highest is £1000 a year, which works out to £83.6.8 a month or £2.14.9 1/2. a day! Mind you - postage was 1 1/2 d. for a letter!!

I grew up in Purley. They were offering detached houses - they were really expensive! I can remember the ice rink. When I was a kid they turned it into the Orchid Ballroom and we were really mad - then as we got older the Orchid was where we went to meet men!

Last edited by Purley; May 28th 2005 at 3:39 pm.
Old May 28th 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

The book is mainly houses for sale on new Estates - from Watford to Thames Ditton. Then at the back is an Income or Wages Table, showing that if you earn £1 a year, it works out to 3/4 (which must have been 3 farthings!) a day. That is the lowest income and the highest is £1000 a year, which works out to £83.6.8 a month or £2.14.9 1/2. a day! Mind you - postage was 1 1/2 d. for a letter!!

I grew up in Purley. They were offering detached houses - they were really expensive! I can remember the ice rink. When I was a kid they turned it into the Orchid Ballroom and we were really mad - then as we got older the Orchid was where we went to meet men!

Lizwil, thanks so much for posting these piccies. Goodness did it bring back a memory of my Dad who told me that when he bought his house in Upper Halliford, the people he worked with were giving him dire warnings of 'paying debt for the rest of your life...' lecture back in 1962! My how things have changed...not only the house prices but the attetude to credit in general
Old May 28th 2005, 10:13 pm
Banned

pollard will become famous soon enoughpollard will become famous soon enough

Imagine if you were lucky enough, or your family was at the time, to have bought a couple of those, how much they will be worth in today's money.
Old May 28th 2005, 11:04 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

No need to imagine, I posted a link to the value of such houses in today's market!
Old May 29th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I recently sorted out some old letters from my Mom and Dad. I have a letter from my Dad dated December 1971, where he complains about selling our house in Purley and only getting £10,500 for it, and a neighbour got £17,500 for his a year later.

I saw our house for sale on the Internet a few months ago. The closest I can find at the moment is a Wates Dormy - which is what ours was, we lived next door to Neil Wates - for sale in Godstone for £429,950

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.a...rop&pid=316607

(by the way - ours didn't have ugly pink valances or whatever you call them like the one in the photo!!)

I would think that a house in Godstone might sell for less than a house on the West Side of Purley. But in any case, when you think about it, that is an awful increase from 1971.

Here's another one in Epsom, listed at $470,000

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent...rop&pid=129183

Last edited by Purley; May 29th 2005 at 12:34 am.
Old May 29th 2005, 2:17 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Hey Lizwil..........

3/4 is 3 shillings and fourpence which is about 17p in todays money =$0.40 CDN