Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cold Selling to Canadian Companies

Cold Selling to Canadian Companies

Old May 28th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Cold Selling to Canadian Companies

We read a lot about Canadian experience with getting a full time employed position. For those that have set-up their own business, however small or large, is there just as much difficulty in getting contracts or developing a client base? Is there as much anti immigrant experience to be had or is it a matter of doing the job better or just cheaper to gain work. I also hope to aim at immigrant run companies who are setting-up or are already set-up.

Any pointers? Any experiences that might be shared?
Old May 28th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Selling to Canadian Companies

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
We read a lot about Canadian experience with getting a full time employed position. For those that have set-up their own business, however small or large, is there just as much difficulty in getting contracts or developing a client base? Is there as much anti immigrant experience to be had or is it a matter of doing the job better or just cheaper to gain work. I also hope to aim at immigrant run companies who are setting-up or are already set-up.

Any pointers? Any experiences that might be shared?

Here's some:

- Join the local Chamber of Commerce and any trade associations.

- Consider acting as a subcontractor so that the prime contractor does the selling to the customer.

- Initially offer services or products on a break even or loss leader basis to get a foothold and references.

- Attend business meetings, shows etc.
Old May 28th 2005, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by flashman
Here's some:

- Join the local Chamber of Commerce and any trade associations.

- Consider acting as a subcontractor so that the prime contractor does the selling to the customer.

- Initially offer services or products on a break even or loss leader basis to get a foothold and references.

- Attend business meetings, shows etc.
Thanks.

Those are my initial steps.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of being told to get lost even though a service is better or cheaper on offer just because one is not Canadian by birth.

Indeed London Ont seems to have a wealth of services on offer including cut price office space with other newly formed companies.

Thanks again

Paul
Old May 29th 2005, 2:44 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I know that my business is not the same as what you will be doing but just to let you know of my experiences. Very positive! In my field of expertise (horses) there seems to be a bit of a pedestal for European riders to sit on and of course I make full use of this. It is definitely a huge benefit for me being British.

My husband will be setting up his computer company when he finally gets over here for good and so far the feedback has been excellent. Around my area Canadians seem to put a lot of stock in the fact you are British - they somehow have decided that we do things better and more professionally than themselves. Will have to wait and see how it goes before saying any more though.