Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Changes to TWP programme

Changes to TWP programme

Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to TWP programme

Novo is mainly right but me being a pedant see it this way

TWP = Is the actual work permit that is issued to an individual at a port of entry or applied for at an overseas CIC office. Its is issued by CBSA officers on payment of $150 if applying at a POE or payment has been received by the CIC office overseas. It is normally stapled into your passport.

TFW = Temporary Foreign Worker. I noted last night that a lot of political commentators were using it in the seasonal agriculture stream. Canada imports seasonal farm workers to pick the fruit and vegetables as no self respecting Canadian wants one of these jobs.

Not all jobs require a Labour Market Opinion however this area is the one that is gathering most attention.
To confuse things even more you have NAFTA and GATS professionals.
Intra Company Transferees, Provincial Nominee Applicants, Youth Exchange Workers, Exchange Professors, Spouses of Skilled Workers and Students etc etc. All of these people need work permits but don't require LMOs.

So how does a company manage to hire 27 Mexican workers being paid $16 an hour to cut grass and tidy up gardens? BTW the official title for that is classed as a Landscape Gardener.

Unfortunately you cannot force a Canadian to work and many do not want these jobs so in turn they hire foreign workers.
Admittedly not all the jobs vacant can be filled by qualified Canadians hence bringing in these foreign workers. Where are all the Trades Schools and Apprentice type facilities? Oh yeah some got shut down as they thought plumbers, electricians and carpenters etc etc would not be needed then boom the Oil Sands were found. So now they are looking for experienced workers. They are not willing to hire any recent graduate from a trade school.

So its a big problem with no easy solutions.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:44 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here on a TWP, no LMO needed, under an Intra-company Transfer... does that mean I'm now a hate-figure, like Canada's equivalent of a Daily Mail 'single mum on benefits with a council house?'
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm here on a TWP, no LMO needed, under an Intra-company Transfer... does that mean I'm now a hate-figure, like Canada's equivalent of a Daily Mail 'single mum on benefits with a council house?'
Only if you came in under the specialized knowledge category and had a lawyer do up the package and write it in a way that a normal person cannot understand (CBSA Officer)
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Only if you came in under the specialized knowledge category and had a lawyer do up the package and write it in a way that a normal person cannot understand (CBSA Officer)
I did.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:28 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, how are you going to get Canadians to fill the positions if they are none about to fill them? Are you advocating for unemployed in, say, New Brunswick to have to relocate to where the work and the employer is in, say, Calgary?

Would you rather wait to see a doctor or be seen by one on a TWP?
The other thing is what if you have a job that a Canadian does not want or can not fill because of lack of experience/training etc.

I understand some companies have been fiddling the books so to speak, but surely these measures will put off responsible employers and will hinder geninue skilled foreign workers.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:38 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

According to some callers on am640 this morning you is taking the bread away from poor Canadian children :@(
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Andy18913 is a jewel in the roughAndy18913 is a jewel in the roughAndy18913 is a jewel in the roughAndy18913 is a jewel in the rough

My LMO papers are due to be submitted in the next week. Does this affect those? do I need to get them to change anything or use different paperwork?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:43 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy18913
My LMO papers are due to be submitted in the next week. Does this affect those? do I need to get them to change anything or use different paperwork?
If the changes to the FSW visa stream are anythign to go by, then this wont be in force until December 2015
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I shall have to take care in wording this response so as not to offend certain posters or groups who then in turn will accuse me of being racist or xenophobic.
The average unemployment rate in Canada is approx 7.2%. There are certain parts of canada where the rate is much higher and in some extreme cases is over 50%.
We keep hearing of a skilled and even unskilled labour shortage in Canada.
We have many people who can no longer claim EI and rely on social assistance programmes.
Are there jobs available then the answer is Yes both skilled and non skilled.
So what jobs are available to a person who lives say in Sydney NS or lives on a reserve? Do they have skills and if not what programmes are available to them and at what cost. Should they be expected to leave home and seek a job in Calgary?
If they have just graduated from a post secondary institution say as a plumber but have no experience who is willing to hire them.
Remember the old saying how do I get experience if I don't have a job and how do I get a job if I dont have experience?
Is a 50 yr old expected now to enter into a programme to learn how to become a plumber and if on completion who might be willing to hire them.
How about all of those refugees who have come from certain countries and cannot speak English or French and have very little education and work skills. How do they integrate?
You cannot force someone to move or even actually work.
How about our own Canadian students in between terms what prospects do they have. Between the UK and Ireland alone this year there will be over 11,000 IEC applicants looking for work on work permits.
So its not an easy solution for any Govt to deal with.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No. (Unless it's an accelerated LMO).

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
If the changes to the FSW visa stream are anythign to go by, then this wont be in force until December 2015
It (the changes to the TFW) was announced yesterday with immediate effect.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Andy18913 is a jewel in the roughAndy18913 is a jewel in the roughAndy18913 is a jewel in the roughAndy18913 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies. It is a normal LMO (3rd attempt) process.

They told us on the last attempt the salary was 39 cents an hour under what it should have been even though we had used their website and informatiuon to try get it right on the second attempt. I hope this comes through this time before any more changes are made.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. (Unless it's an accelerated LMO).

It (the changes to the TFW) was announced yesterday with immediate effect.
But those changes don't really affect the Federal Skilled Workers or Federal Skilled Trades Programmes. The FSW isn't even open until 4th May.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the replies. It is a normal LMO (3rd attempt) process.

They told us on the last attempt the salary was 39 cents an hour under what it should have been even though we had used their website and informatiuon to try get it right on the second attempt. I hope this comes through this time before any more changes are made.
The new rules will probably effect your application. 3 x attempts at an LMO doesnt look promising to me after yesterdays announcements.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Sun News Network will be burning an effigy of you momentarily...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The new rules will probably effect your application. 3 x attempts at an LMO doesnt look promising to me after yesterdays announcements.
This is exactly what i am worried about. I am about to leave Canada after being here a week sorting out the paperwork and was really hoping this time after what they had told my employer i would be back in a few months. This really isn't good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.