British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Changes to TWP programme (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/changes-twp-programme-795526/)

ExKiwilass Apr 29th 2013 4:31 pm

Changes to TWP programme

:thumbup:

The Feds are changing the rules. Now the employer will have to produce a plan for hiring canadian workers to replace the TWPs in the long run.

Good.

Steve_ Apr 29th 2013 5:21 pm

Re: Changes to TWP programme

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...s-changes.html

Well this was always going to happen because they intended for it to happen, i.e. stop people coming in as SW1 and instead have them come in on work permits and then get PR status through sponsorship of the employer. So everyone and their mother got work permits ("faster to process" being the mantra) and now all of this has happened.

And now they won't be fast to process anymore and it will be harder to use, etc. Companies like Sunwing are obviously buggered by these changes.

If you turn the screws on in one area, people switch to a different method, it's obvious. And now if they turn the screws on the work permit programme, people will use a different method - called working illegally, I suspect, which is what happened in the US.

I keep wondering what will happen to the housing market, especially in Toronto and Vancouver.

Almost Canadian Apr 29th 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10683875)

The Feds are changing the rules. Now the employer will have to produce a plan for hiring canadian workers to replace the TWPs in the long run.

Good.

How's that going to work then? If the TWP is issued because the Canadian employer can't find a Canadian to do the job, what "plan" could the employer propose? Train more Canadians? Fine, so long at the Universities offer more places to doctor, engineer, etc. students.

Jingsamichty Apr 29th 2013 6:56 pm

Good.

Does the system need "fixing"? What's the problem?

The TWP system suits me just fine.

russjp Apr 29th 2013 7:07 pm

As a HGV driver new to the country, it would appear that a large proportion of the canadian population have no desire to do the job and would rather sit in a warm office all week with their feet up. All good and well till the supermarket and shop shelves start to empty and what happens then - you cant force people to do a job they dont want to do and thats where we come in - there are places all around the city I live in advertising for class 1 drivers and nobody is taking the jobs so how are they gonna stop this happening ??

Tangram Apr 29th 2013 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10684101)
As a HGV driver new to the country, it would appear that a large proportion of the canadian population have no desire to do the job and would rather sit in a warm office all week with their feet up. All good and well till the supermarket and shop shelves start to empty and what happens then - you cant force people to do a job they dont want to do and thats where we come in - there are places all around the city I live in advertising for class 1 drivers and nobody is taking the jobs so how are they gonna stop this happening ??

Perhaps they should pay more ?

orly Apr 29th 2013 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 10684108)

Ding. We have a winner.

russjp Apr 29th 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 10684108)

Is $70k a year not enough for some people, I'm sure it beats minimum wage ?

ExKiwilass Apr 29th 2013 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by orly (Post 10684125)
Ding. We have a winner.

yup.

ExKiwilass Apr 29th 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10684084)
Does the system need "fixing"? What's the problem?

The TWP system suits me just fine.

I'm sure it does Jings :p

Novocastrian Apr 29th 2013 7:31 pm

Good.

I think you're confusing TWP with TFW. That's what they're changing.

Jingsamichty Apr 29th 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10684135)
I'm sure it does Jings :p

You obviously have a different opinion. Why?

ExKiwilass Apr 29th 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10684141)
I think you're confusing TWP with TFW. That's what they're changing.

Am I?

:blink:

ExKiwilass Apr 29th 2013 7:41 pm

oh yeah, you're right.

Still, good.

ExKiwilass Apr 29th 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10684147)
You obviously have a different opinion. Why?

I am against because:

1. abuse of TFW (substandard housing, etc)
2. drives down wages/working conditions at the bottom
3. TFWs have very few rights working here.