Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Tilers in Canada

Ceramic Tilers in Canada

Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Jo & Rick is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Ceramic Tilers in Canada

My brother has got the Canada bug along with me & Rick but can't seem to find any info on the need for tilers, if any in Canada.
He has browsed numerous websites and found that the construction industry, carpenters, plasterers, bricklayers etc is in great demand but not ceramic wall and floor tilers. Is this the case?
Any info greatly appreciated.
I'd just like to say that we are really impressed with the replys we have had from our threads.We have found out more from this forum in the last week than we did by trawling through websites in the last month.
Apart from frankieforehead who made me feel like a right pratt!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:44 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ceramic Tilers in Canada

Might be wrong but apart from floor tiles, we have seen very little tiles on walls or floors. Reason being wooden houses, with walls of plasterboard, house will fall down from weight
We had house built and had wooden floors, even tile effect laminate. Our baths came as one large molded unit complete with built in surround, for total wipe clean effect. no nasty grouting to keep clean etc.
Only seen a small amout of tiles in houses, here and there.
Also hotels have these moulded baths and surrounds, or sheets of wipe clean laminate stuff. Our work surfaces all have moulded backs that do away with the need to tile around.
Our plasterer did all the work a tiler would have.
maybe in some of the cities, where places are brick built / hotels etc, there is call for it.
Plenty of work for roof tilers i would have thought!

On the other hand they may have a shortage of tilers therefore you may get snapped up!

Originally Posted by Jo & Rick
My brother has got the Canada bug along with me & Rick but can't seem to find any info on the need for tilers, if any in Canada.
He has browsed numerous websites and found that the construction industry, carpenters, plasterers, bricklayers etc is in great demand but not ceramic wall and floor tilers. Is this the case?
Any info greatly appreciated.
I'd just like to say that we are really impressed with the replys we have had from our threads.We have found out more from this forum in the last week than we did by trawling through websites in the last month.
Apart from frankieforehead who made me feel like a right pratt!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:25 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with gooding, pretty much the only tile I have seen has been on the floor rather than the walls. My house in NS has ceramic tile in hallway and kitchen but none on the walls in any of the bathrooms or kitchen.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree with gooding, pretty much the only tile I have seen has been on the floor rather than the walls. My house in NS has ceramic tile in hallway and kitchen but none on the walls in any of the bathrooms or kitchen.
I've two houses, four bathrooms, three of them have tiled walls. The kitchens in both houses have tile counters and backsplashes. The two bathrooms at the office have tiled walls and last night we passed a barn of a store "Tile World".
Pub bathrooms are always tiled up the walls and ceramics are massively popular with the Italians and Portuguese in and around Toronto. Someone's tiling.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:45 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

only info I could find in a short yahoo tilers canada search was

http://www.nativeswish.com/categories/canada.htm

http://settleoverseas.com/pnp.htm

But apparently their called Tilesetters here

Official site says - 7283 Tilesetters
Tilesetters cover interior and exterior walls, floors and ceilings with ceramic, marble and quarry tile, mosaics or terrazzo. They are employed by construction companies and masonry contractors, or they may be self-employed.

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/7283.shtml or try

7219 Contractors and Supervisors, Other Construction Trades, Installers, Repairers and Servicers

if he can supervise

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/7219.shtml

in the NOC 7283 Tilesetters is in Code T and
7219 is in Code C

The page says -

You must meet the following minimum work experience requirements to allow you to apply as a skilled worker:

You must have at least one year of full-time work experience. You must have been paid for this work.
Your work experience must be in the category of Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC). (See below for instructions.)
You must have had this experience within the last 10 years

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-2-1.html
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

My condo is tiled in the kitchen (teensy splashback) and bathroom (shower wall) for what it's worth. http://www.jeni.clara.net/riverfront.../interior.html

I didn't realise this was a rarity, heck, I may even clean them properly now I know!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:17 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, also found

MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING

BETWEEN

The Government of Canada as represented by the Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) and the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (CIC).

3. TERMS OF MOU

3.1 In light of recognized labour shortages which exist in the GTA, HRSDC will facilitate the labour market opinion process for applications for the following occupations:

Bricklayers
Cement Finishers
Drywallers
Form Workers
Framers
Installers
Tilesetters
Carpenters
Construction Labourers

http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/en/on/epb...document.shtml

Which is good news for you brother if he is looking for GTA job.

This Memorandum of Understanding reflects an acknowledgement of the fact that members of the GTHBA have been unable to recruit sufficient numbers of qualified workers to work in the occupations described in Appendix B to meet their current needs.

Immigration regulations require HRSDC to provide a labour market opinion (administratively referred to as a “confirmation”) to CIC prior to its issuance of a work permit to a prospective foreign worker.

HRSDC agrees to facilitate the processing of labour market opinions for employers of experienced foreign tradespersons described in Appendix B to answer employers' need for a skilled workforce in the GTA under the terms of this Memorandum of Understanding.

CIC agrees to process as quickly as possible temporary work permit applications for experienced foreign tradespersons recruited under this Memorandum of Understanding. Applications will be assessed by CIC to ensure that they meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations b efore a temporary work permit (WP) can be issued.

So perhaps a applicants for a temporary work visa will get your bro here quicker than you.. Then once here who knows
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi
we have just had a house built in NS.We had a choice of tiles or an all in one plastic monstrosity for the baths.....tiles every time.We had a custom shower built in the ensuite instead of a tub but this was greeted with blank looks by our builder although now build has now adopted it as his own idea!
All the tiles were bought from a floor/wall tile shop who have their own tilers on the books.
Probobly works the same as here in the fact that you need contacts in the building trade or the retail outlets.
As has been said here many times,contemporary style is a good 10 years out of date in NS (just look at MLS) and i can only imagine that a good tiler will be worth their weight in gold in the future.
Mike.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - found these in the Calgary area.....

http://workingcalgaryjobs.canada.com...&q=tile+setter

http://regionalhelpwanted.com/Search...SN=162&ID=4529
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

We bought our house back in November and when we were looking, tile floors in the entry and bath were very common along with tile on the walls around the tub. Older houses tended to have more tile in the bath than newer ones. Probably 50% had the tile backsplash in the kitchen but nowhere I looked at had tile countertops.

It seems to be popular to put either wood, laminate, or tile flooring down in the living room, dining room, and kitchen when rennovating. We have tile in the entry way, but vinyl in the kitchen which I plan to replace with matching tile at some point.