Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CDs in suitcase

CDs in suitcase

Old May 16th 2007, 7:05 pm
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: CDs in suitcase

About 100 disc are all my files. Then I have a bunch of backups for my ipod music so wonder if they will have problem with that? I also have a ton of old vhs family movies converted to dvd films. I also have a bunch of movie dvd bought at Market which I think might cause probs if they see it as no labels on it so looks a bit dodgy. I really want to take it all but you guys have me a bit worried about it now. Might just leave it behind and get it mailed in the future. If its in the suitcase I thought it would be ok but I guess it to much of a risk
Old May 16th 2007, 7:09 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We put all our dvds and cds in our container - no problems.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:13 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by achanginglife
You could use USB memory sticks. I know you can get at least 2 Gig capacity on each for under 15GBP. see link http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...&sourceid=9207 and maybe more, then just plug into any PC USB port. Would save a lot of luggage Louise
I have an external hard drive filled with data and it's 500gb I think I would need a lot of memory sticks 2gb is nothing to me these days. I think I will take the chance with my drive and ship it over in my suitcase. It is all backed up too.

Emma
Old May 16th 2007, 7:25 pm
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

Not sure if this is true but someone told me it is perfectly legal to make back up copies of your dvds and also they will work on canadian dvds. If so I want to backup soem of my dvd so I can bring them there. But again if its in my suitcase it might case probs as no labels on them as well. Dont know what to do.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Not sure if this is true but someone told me it is perfectly legal to make back up copies of your dvds and also they will work on canadian dvds. If so I want to backup soem of my dvd so I can bring them there. But again if its in my suitcase it might case probs as no labels on them as well. Dont know what to do.
Make sure you get imperial dvds, not metric.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Would the English language movies work in Quebec?

The only sensible thing to do is to put all your data onto an external hard drive. It's lunacy to think about carrying over 500 CDs in your luggage, especially when some of them are "movies from the market".

If you have a fake Rolex, I'd recommend you don't declare that either!
Old May 16th 2007, 10:39 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I have an external hard drive filled with data and it's 500gb I think I would need a lot of memory sticks 2gb is nothing to me these days. I think I will take the chance with my drive and ship it over in my suitcase. It is all backed up too.

Emma

Emma, all our 7 pieces of luggage went missing (albeit for 1 day, and arrived intact). I would recommend you hand carry your hard-drive (and a clean pair of pants )
Old May 17th 2007, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Eastbound
HI
much the same thing had cds in hand luggage went through the xray machine but the customs guy wannted to know what the little plates were thought i was bringing food in or something but when i told him they were cds I showed them to him he was fine
We have always taken Cd's and Dvds with us when ever we go on holiday as well. Never had any problems from europe to long haul.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I understand bringing dvds of movies "from the market" or anywhere else. If they're films for small children it would make sense but otherwise haven't you already seen the film, isn't it just clutter after you've seen it?
Old May 17th 2007, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't say I understand bringing dvds of movies "from the market" or anywhere else. If they're films for small children it would make sense but otherwise haven't you already seen the film, isn't it just clutter after you've seen it?
You sound just like my missus, except that you're a bit more child-friendly.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:20 pm
Your goto Realtor

Think will just leave it for now. Get it sent by DHL or Royal Mail in future. I do already have 2 externels as well which are packed out. One is 120gig and another is 80gig. There both almost filled out.
I also am thinking of taking my lap top out there. I wonder how that goes. Can I have that with my racksack as hand laggege. I dont want to put in suitcase as it will break probably in there?
Old May 17th 2007, 8:26 pm

Think will just leave it for now. Get it sent by DHL or Royal Mail in future. I do already have 2 externels as well which are packed out. One is 120gig and another is 80gig. There both almost filled out.
I also am thinking of taking my lap top out there. I wonder how that goes. Can I have that with my racksack as hand laggege. I dont want to put in suitcase as it will break probably in there?
If you put it in your suitcase there is a good chance you'll never see it again.

Be careful about what you intend to take as carry-on (cabin) baggage. From what I saw at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago, the one-bag policy is being enforced pretty strictly.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:44 pm
Your goto Realtor

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If you put it in your suitcase there is a good chance you'll never see it again.

Be careful about what you intend to take as carry-on (cabin) baggage. From what I saw at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago, the one-bag policy is being enforced pretty strictly.
Oh no so do you think I can only take my laptop bag as my cary on and no racksack bag when I go.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:55 pm

Oh no so do you think I can only take my laptop bag as my cary on and no racksack bag when I go.
I won't attempt to give you a definitive answer because I don't want to give you false information. The airline you use will have the info on its website. Take what it says as gospel; not a rough idea.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown recently with a laptop and carry on. And a handbag as well actually, but they state the handbag must be able to fit inside the carry on (!) so that's not really relevant.

Check with your airline though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.