Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cashing a UK cheque from Canada?

Cashing a UK cheque from Canada?

Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Stew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really nice
Default Cashing a UK cheque from Canada?

Hi all,

I receive mail from relatives back in the UK every month and in last months was a cheque from HM Revenue & Customs giving me a repayment for income tax. Im presuming Canadian banks won't deal with this, so how do I get it deposited in to my UK account from here in Edmonton?

Thanks for any help guys.

Stew.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:46 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cashing a UK cheque from Canada?

Just walk into your bank, and deposit it into your account. It's as easy as that.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:54 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Just walk into your bank, and deposit it into your account. It's as easy as that.
Fees will be high and you'll likely get screwed on the exchange rate.

It might be better to mail it to someone in the UK and get them to deposit if for you, or mail to your bank in the UK directly with covering letter, and your account details. Of course, depends on how large the cheque is whether its worth doing this or not.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999

It might be better to mail it to someone in the UK and get them to deposit if for you, or mail to your bank in the UK directly with covering letter, and your account details. Of course, depends on how large the cheque is whether its worth doing this or not.
I pay no fees with my RBC account to pay in a sterling cheque, and I get the standard advertised exchange rate, so if the amount isn't particularly large, it's a perfectly convenient way to deposit the money.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:14 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't the question how could a sterling cheque be deposited in a UK bank ?

Just have someone in the UK deposit it in your account for you. Failing that mail it to the bank that you deal with. Sorted. Simple !
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Stew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies. I asked someone in the UK to deposit it for me, but they told me they enquired at a bank and it has to be me that does it. I'll go in to BMO later and deposit it. I didn't think they would accept UK cheques for some reason. Easy enough!

Cheers.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:46 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stew681
Thanks for all the replies. I asked someone in the UK to deposit it for me, but they told me they enquired at a bank and it has to be me that does it. I'll go in to BMO later and deposit it. I didn't think they would accept UK cheques for some reason. Easy enough!

Cheers.
That's odd. My sister in the UK makes deposits for me on a regular basis.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I pay no fees with my RBC account to pay in a sterling cheque, and I get the standard advertised exchange rate, so if the amount isn't particularly large, it's a perfectly convenient way to deposit the money.
This is interesting to know. This would be a good way , when I get the chance eventually to live in Canada, for my UK pensions. which will be deposited into my UK bank account every month, to be transferred by me writing a cheque to myself every month and depositing the money into my HSBC account in Canada and then withdrawing the money I need to live on for that month.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Check your account depending on the bank re: fees. Our BMO account currently has an adminsitration fee for depositing foreign currency cheques. If it is one cheque and a large enough amount then it can be nominal but for example I received several cheques at Christmas from relatives in the UK and am now preparing to have at it with the bank if they try and charge a fee on each cheque deposited as in some cases the fee is going to end up being a large percentage of the total amount. Hopefully I can get them to apply just one fee.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:32 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
That's odd. My sister in the UK makes deposits for me on a regular basis.
Yep, my old Ma makes deposits into my UK account with no issues too
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
I found the fees here were much less than I'd pay for a Canadian cheque in the UK.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
For the Nationwide they have a form on their website which just has to be signed and then posted to their address in Swindon together with the cheque.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

All sorted now guys. I deposited it in to my BMO account with no charge. She just asked me if it was a Christmas present when it had in big letters, "HM Revenue & Customs" on the front.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
I too think this is odd as my parents put stuff into my account including cheques with no issues. i think main thing is they have details to ensure goes in right account