Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

carpenter needs to know where to go

carpenter needs to know where to go

Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpenter needs to know where to go

Originally Posted by redarmy990
when i was working in calgary i was journeyman carpenter and didnt have to sit the exam.so yes i am sure.
also i was working with a 29 year old canadian apprentice. what the f--- is all that about
You have to pass the provincial exams, apprenticeship or Red Seal to be a journeyman. The number of years experience may allow you challenge the exams, but without the passing the exams you are not a journeyman in Canada.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You have to pass the provincial exams, apprenticeship or Red Seal to be a journeyman. The number of years experience may allow you challenge the exams, but without the passing the exams you are not a journeyman in Canada.
A propos of nothing in particular, I don't think I've ever come across this phrase, "to challenge an exam", anywhere else than on this board.

Is it a Canadian expression or something that's crept into UK english in the last several decades?

Just curious.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A propos of nothing in particular, I don't think I've ever come across this phrase, "to challenge an exam", anywhere else than on this board.

Is it a Canadian expression or something that's crept into UK english in the last several decades?

Just curious.
It seems to be a common expression in BC. It refers to taking an exam without any of the usual prerequisites or courses of study. It is a common request from immigrants to quickly prove their knowledge/ability. Of course, the professional bodies don't like it at all because they earn quite a bit of income from selling courses.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redarmy990
well i have over 18 years experiance as a carpenter so thats why i got journeyman class maybe
You were not a journeyman. Your employer may have called you one but another employer wouldn't. A four pronged digging implement is still a fork, even if I choose to call it a spade
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious.
If you have the required number of hours experience, rather than taking a prerequisite course, such as an apprenticeship, you can ask to 'challenge' i.e. write the exam only.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If you have the required number of hours experience, rather than taking a prerequisite course, such as an apprenticeship, you can ask to 'challenge' i.e. write the exam only.
Well, thanks, but that doesn't address my question.

I understand what it means, but is it a canadian expression or would it be understood in the UK today?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:43 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand what it means, but is it a Canadian expression or would it be understood in the UK today?
Apparently not just a Canadian expression.

It's also in use in Malta of all places. http://www.challengeexams.com/

Also U.S Department of Energy Berkeley Lab.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:14 am

I understand what it means, but is it a canadian expression or would it be understood in the UK today?
No idea, I live in Canada, but nothing Google could not answer if they don't know.