Reload this Page >

Carpenter / Joiner Qualifications

Carpenter / Joiner Qualifications

Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Trehorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carpenter / Joiner Qualifications

Hi all,

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I have looked but can't seem to find anything.

I'm at the very early stages of the emigration process. I passed my IELTS last week with a score of 8.5 which I was rather chuffed about for a broad Yorkshireman (Little things....little minds eh)

Anyhoo, I'm a qualified bench joiner although mostly experienced in site joinery. For the last fourteen years I've been working as a Quantity Surveyor. I've kept my hand in with the joinery but have not done it as a full time job since 1999.

Two questions really;
1. Would I qualify for the points as a joiner based on the above? I don't have the relevent qualifications to emigrate as a QS.

2. If I do qualify do I need to obtain anything to enable me to do the job in Canada. In the UK we have the CSCS scheme.

I really am looking to get back out on the tools more. The office environment is too sterile and I miss the crack on site.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenter / Joiner Qualifications

Originally Posted by Trehorn
Hi all,

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I have looked but can't seem to find anything.

I'm at the very early stages of the emigration process. I passed my IELTS last week with a score of 8.5 which I was rather chuffed about for a broad Yorkshireman (Little things....little minds eh)

Anyhoo, I'm a qualified bench joiner although mostly experienced in site joinery. For the last fourteen years I've been working as a Quantity Surveyor. I've kept my hand in with the joinery but have not done it as a full time job since 1999.

Two questions really;
1. Would I qualify for the points as a joiner based on the above? I don't have the relevent qualifications to emigrate as a QS.

2. If I do qualify do I need to obtain anything to enable me to do the job in Canada. In the UK we have the CSCS scheme.

I really am looking to get back out on the tools more. The office environment is too sterile and I miss the crack on site.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...experience.asp

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...al=7&val1=7272

You can challenge this if you can prove 9000+ experience http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=37
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

1. The OP wouldn't qualify under the Federal Skilled Trades, as he hasn't worked as a joiner in the past 14 years.

All applicants must:

have the required level of proficiency in English or French;
have at least two years of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, in a skilled trade occupation within the last five years, after becoming qualified to independently practice that occupation;

Couldn't apply under FSW1 as s/he doesn't have 1 years experience in the past 10, I assume.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

As a carpenter you only need to hit a nail with your fat max hammer and you in.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by in the woods
As a carpenter you only need to hit a nail with your fat max hammer and you in.
But may find it hard to find work.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trehorn
Hi all,

Two questions really;

Hi
Welcome from one Yorkshireman to another
All the best with your visa application.

Last edited by joinerboy; Jan 31st 2013 at 1:05 am.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The OP wouldn't qualify under the Federal Skilled Trades, as he hasn't worked as a joiner in the past 14 years.

All applicants must:

have the required level of proficiency in English or French;
have at least two years of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, in a skilled trade occupation within the last five years, after becoming qualified to independently practice that occupation;

Couldn't apply under FSW1 as s/he doesn't have 1 years experience in the past 10, I assume.
look maybe at Provincial Nominee Program routes ...depending where in Canada you hope to go..
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Trehorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys.

We're looking at having a consultation with Wildy in Manchester on 17th. Same day that City play the mighty whites so it could be carnage!