Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Career Dilemma

Career Dilemma

Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career Dilemma

Originally Posted by Oink
Err, don't you mean physical rather than hard?
No.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:21 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And it won't be too long before you can type "been".
i tell you, it's the bloody tablet keyboard.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

don't know what kind of career you are in but it must be pretty well paid if you are paid twice a geologist

Geologists in Calgary earn decent money. Just look at the APEGGA salary surveys
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Gryphea - the salary/rates I was able to obtain were for Environmental scientists not Geologists. So I don't think they have the AGEGGA accreditation?
Old Aug 14th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS
Gryphea - the salary/rates I was able to obtain were for Environmental scientists not Geologists. So I don't think they have the AGEGGA accreditation?
But I thought you said you were a geologist?

We employ lots of geologists; petroleum geologists earn even more

Take a look at the salary survey and you will see. Its on their web pages
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

I am a geologist, however, as I said I could only obtain the rate info for environmental scientists.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Update: I heard back from my professor contact who is apparently retiring in 2 yrs (absolutely gutted) so will not be supervising any more students.

He is the ONLY expert in Canada for this particular area of geology I am interested in and suggested I might want to consider going abroad to do the research instead as he has some contacts.

Going to see if he might be prepared to supervise me for the first 2 years and then I transfer to another supervisor.....
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

In addition, I'd be looking to keep on working. PhD would have to be funded, but I would keep my hand in with what I currently do, and the $$$ coming in. Prepared to be f*****g busy for the forseeable future.