Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Career Dilemma

Career Dilemma

Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Career Dilemma

As a footnote to my Canniversary thread, I am in a bit of dilemma.

Living in Calgary is expensive (not as much as Vancouver), but in order to keep the coffers healthy I am doing something I absolutely hate. I would LOVE to be back working in Science again, but it pays about HALF what I currently earn.

Just not sure what to do, as I know I can get work in science again and pursue a funded PhD, but it will mean our income is drastically reduced because of such a move.

Any advice welcome.....
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career Dilemma

Originally Posted by AllyS
As a footnote to my Canniversary thread, I am in a bit of dilemma.

Living in Calgary is expensive (not as much as Vancouver), but in order to keep the coffers healthy I am doing something I absolutely hate. I would LOVE to be back working in Science again, but it pays about HALF what I currently earn.

Just not sure what to do, as I know I can get work in science again and pursue a funded PhD, but it will mean our income is drastically reduced because of such a move.

Any advice welcome.....
You need to decide want you want: money and being unhappy or happiness with little money
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes its better to make less and be happy.

Best job I ever had that made me happy and look forward to, was also the lowest paying. I left a job making almost double, but the higher paying job was making me miserable.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

its sickening really because we could pay off our mortgage in about 5 yrs if I bricked it.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sometimes its better to make less and be happy.
I agree.

To condense thousands of years of Buddhist teachings into a sentence: happiness is not about having more, it is about wanting less. Make a log for a month of all the things you spend money on. How much was absolutely necessary? How much was discretionary. If you are doing stimulating and fulfilling work you will probably find that you can cut out 90% of the discretionary stuff without noticeably affecting your quality of life.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks so much for your responses.... will be mulling your comments over.

I have been cobbling together a science resume, and have set up talks with some scientists at the company I work at. It is encouraging what I have gleaned so far, but I was also able to find out (because of what I currently do) the charge out $rates of a range of grades of scientist and that wasn't so encourgaging. Even a senior scientist (15 yrs experience) doesn't earn as much as I do.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

its sickening really because we could pay off our mortgage in about 5 yrs if I bricked it.
Could you downsize and release some cash for a decent "rainy day" pot (taking into account potential realtor fees of course). If you had some pocket money, you might not feel that you were having to do without all the time, and that you could occasionally splurge if you really wanted to...

And having a shiny new and stimulating job might be all the tonic you need.

Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is also the small matter of my parents being financially dependent upon us which has to be taken into consideration.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the small matter of my parents being financially dependent upon us which has to be taken into consideration.
Well yes, that is a bit of a wrinkle. But leaving that aside, may I ask two questions? What scientific field and how old are you?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Geologist and approaching middle age
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:08 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

To play devil's advocate ... whilst yes it is indeed a better quality of life when what you're working on gives you pleasure, satisfaction and selfworth ... if all you're talking about is 5 years in order to gain the financial freedom of being mortgage free could it indeed be worth waiting just that little bit longer in order to attain it? Then its a cake and eating it situation, no? If it was longer than 5 yrs then I'd say its not worth it to wait, but 5 years goes by very quickly and there's a lot of plusses to just hanging in there and then after that final payment the bottle of champagne is for being beholden to no bank and also shedding the shackles of your current employment hell.

Just to play the other card
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Geologist is clear enough and I would think a field which is in demand, especially in your part of the country.

"Approaching middle age", is OTOH somewhat vague. I think I'm approaching middle age but I'll retire in a couple of years: I expect your POV is different.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnneMarieC - funny you should suggest that, as thats what I mentioned to my hubby yesterday as another possibility. I guess what concerns me is that the longer I wait to do this, a) I'll be even more middle aged, and b) the more time will have elapsed since I did my MSc and not be up-to-date with current scientific analytical techniques etc., etc., or any of that stuff.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of middle aged geologists working in the Red Lake/Balmertown area of Northern Ontario and probably lots of others in the NWT and Nunavut areas.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

As luck would have it, and by pure chance, this job has put me in contact with one of the World leading experts in the field of Geology I am interested in. I emailed him just a few moments ago! God knows what will come of it, but my fingers are crossed.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.