Car Rental

Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:26 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Car Rental

When we come over to Vancouver we'll be looking to rent a car until we find one to buy.

Anyone know of any good websites or garages to buy a second hand car? We don't want to spend too much so would probably look for a Japanese one that's a few years old (for reliability reasons...)

Thanks for your help,

C2006
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:29 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Rental

Second hand cars are pretty expensive over here. The Japanese ones in particular don't depreciate much. If I were you, I'd just spend a few thousand extra on a new one and get all the associated benefits.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:31 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

As an FYI, second hand cars are very expensive here (so we thought) compared to UK. If you have a look on a site called Kijiji (its like an online exchange and mart) there may be one fore Vancouver and then you can get an idea of how much people both private and trade want for their cars!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:44 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Used car buying in Canada is buyer beware, even from a dealer. If you want a warranty, they cost extra unless it is a manufacturers warranty.

We always buy recent used, ideally management vehicles from a dealer. The last one had 8,000km on it and we saved a few thousand. Still had 2½ years manufacturers warranty on it. Watch out for dealer dropping on an administration charge, it is often preprinted on the bill of sale, like you are expected to pay it. I have never had to pay this as I refused and they still wanted to sell me the vehicle. Some also try and get the customer to sign up for some additional insurance, that is of more benefit to the dealer than the customer. We got scammed into this once, as soon as I complained a refund was forthcoming.

At a dealer, you talk to a salesman first, then the price offer goes to the sales manager. At this point some will ask the customer to sign a written offer document, totally unnecessary and it is a binding contract to purchase if the offer is accepted. Again I refuse to do this.

If a deal is done the customer then goes to the business manager to pay up, this is where all the add ons are put into the mix. The only extras you cannot get out of are taxes. If you buy a used vehicle privately, PST is payable when the vehicle is transferred and insured. No GST on private purchase. From a dealer both taxes apply.

Personally I would only buy from a reputable dealer. We used Jim Pattison Toyota in Surrey for our last vehicle. They were very good and have dealerships throughout the lower mainland.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:12 pm
especially the mint one

club_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really nice

I must agree with Surrey Expat on this one. We never buy brand new - too much depreciation in the first 1-2 years. Japanese cars hold their value for a reason - they're reliable and generally have better quality control than the american crappy standard that plummets in value and reliability.

Buying a Japanese car under 50,000k isn't that much different from new if it's been well-looked after. The warranty is transferable with purchase. We use autotrader.ca but not sure if it's as popular in BC as it is in Ontario.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:22 am
Just Joined

ptangptang is an unknown quantity at this point

just bought a 9 year old Subaru legacy for the equivalent of 4000 pound - two months after seeing our old legacy in the UK (similar age) go for 400!
and I still think we got a good deal for what was on offer within our price range (dealer was asking for equivalent of over 5500 quid)
there were some nearly new Dodge Calibers and Ford Taurus family sized cars for around nine thousand pound but felt happier going with a Jap car myself.