Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Proof

Car Insurance Proof

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Re: Car Insurance Proof

Originally Posted by Warringtongal
??? Would love to know what this info is as we are currently trying to sort out insurance! Is it some info?

Warringtongal
try the link again, it seems i had too many https listed!

car insurance letter & driver's abstract
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Contact Bernice O'Rourke at Johnson Insurance on 1 709 737 1161 or email [email protected] tell her Chris Eldred gave you her details and she will treat you with kid gloves. I would advise contacting her in plenty of time before leaving the UK, Johnson will accept UK no claims but it has to formatted in a certain way.

Basically, they require a history of the no claims, ie 03-06 with Budget Insurance and No Claims cert to back it up then 06-08 with Churchill Insurance with No Claims cert to back that up.

She can be hard work but she saved us a fortune, bringing our insurance quote down from CAD$5,000 to CAD$1,400. If you get the paperwork she asks for then you are home and dry.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:09 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the contact Chris - would she be able to start getting quotes before you get to Canada even if you have no address and only a rough idea of vehicle?

It seems that I may be better off sticking with who I am for the remaining few months before I get to Canada and try and get a letter out of them which will be useful. I currently use a broker, so it's going to be entertaining getting a letter out of the underwriter.....
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:04 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinurt
Hi,
We were insured with AXA in the UK for 4 years but were insured with another company previously. When we left we got a letter from AXA showing the full 7 years No claims we had and this was accepted by AXA over here thankfully otherwise it would have cost us a fortune.

Hope this helps

Sinead
HELLO, This is a good option if you are planning to come over. Switch to AXA and almost get a continuance of insurance. But as each insurer seems to want different words/papers, perhaps you could speak with Aca before you land to establish the office to deal with and what documentation they require.

Auto insurance is a real pain in NB when we landed State Farm wanted to charge us $4000 for the first year..... That sounds alot but when I realised they wanted that from both of us i.e $8000 I told them to go and do something rude. Anyway I found a local broker who managed to arrange our insurance with Wanesa for $3000 for both of us and that is now down to a easily manageable $400 (Jules drives a Ford Focus) and $600 (I drive a Ford Escape).
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:51 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cneldred
Contact Bernice O'Rourke at Johnson Insurance on 1 709 737 1161 or email [email protected] tell her Chris Eldred gave you her details and she will treat you with kid gloves. I would advise contacting her in plenty of time before leaving the UK, Johnson will accept UK no claims but it has to formatted in a certain way.

Basically, they require a history of the no claims, ie 03-06 with Budget Insurance and No Claims cert to back it up then 06-08 with Churchill Insurance with No Claims cert to back that up.

She can be hard work but she saved us a fortune, bringing our insurance quote down from CAD$5,000 to CAD$1,400. If you get the paperwork she asks for then you are home and dry.

Hope that helps

Chris
Hi Chris - is that a fully comp price? and how does that compare to what you used to pay back in Essex?

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:46 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Supplementary question not strictly related to the original post - but does insurance in Canada cover you for crossing the border into the US generally or is that a special request? We will be living on the border, so will need this ideally...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:58 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Supplementary question not strictly related to the original post - but does insurance in Canada cover you for crossing the border into the US generally or is that a special request? We will be living on the border, so will need this ideally...
I would check with your insurer
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by manningl
Hi Chris - is that a fully comp price? and how does that compare to what you used to pay back in Essex?

Thanks
The quote we have now compares very good with what we paid in the UK. For a much nicer car to be honest. We now have a top of the range Cadillac SRX fully loaded, in the UK we had a Nissan Primeria and paid about 500 quid a year. All prices were fully comp, but it does work different over here you have to say how much liability cover you want, to cater for the ambulance chasing brigade.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:16 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Thanks for the info Chris
Old May 6th 2008, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Well I was like others shocked at the auto premiums and being a nurse thought I would get a discount and I did total premium for Pontiac 2 door sunfire SE 2002 plate was $1700 CAD. Then I recalled this forum discussion
and went to http://www.johnson.ca/english/branches/Edmonton.jsp and spoke with Cynthia who explained that they do recognise previous driving experience from the UK (upon evidence) Now my premium for same cover is $1048 !!! CHEERS
Old May 6th 2008, 6:17 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by keefrto
Well I was like others shocked at the auto premiums and being a nurse thought I would get a discount and I did total premium for Pontiac 2 door sunfire SE 2002 plate was $1700 CAD. Then I recalled this forum discussion
and went to http://www.johnson.ca/english/branches/Edmonton.jsp and spoke with Cynthia who explained that they do recognise previous driving experience from the UK (upon evidence) Now my premium for same cover is $1048 !!! CHEERS
Good news! How detailed was the evidence you had to obtain?
Old May 6th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We just received insurance here in NS and all I bought with me was my renewal notice which listed my no claims for the last 5 years but there was initial talk of having to get some sort of letter from the Insurers but the broker mnaged to get them to accept the renewal notice. Dropped our quote $1000 for the truck
Old May 6th 2008, 9:11 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
We just received insurance here in NS and all I bought with me was my renewal notice which listed my no claims for the last 5 years but there was initial talk of having to get some sort of letter from the Insurers but the broker mnaged to get them to accept the renewal notice. Dropped our quote $1000 for the truck
Useful to know - who did you use as a broker?
Old May 6th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by G77
Good news! How detailed was the evidence you had to obtain?
Hi all I needed was a letter confirming our NCD from our last insurer, it was that easy. Some insurers when you try to compare online do not take into account international drving and you have to call them which is a pain. One guy said no we could not apply online I would have to put my request in writing, fool!!! do you think he got my business? NO
Good luck, BTW lovely blue sky this morning in Edmonton
Old May 6th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

garvard will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
HELLO, This is a good option if you are planning to come over. Switch to AXA and almost get a continuance of insurance. But as each insurer seems to want different words/papers, perhaps you could speak with Aca before you land to establish the office to deal with and what documentation they require.

Auto insurance is a real pain in NB when we landed State Farm wanted to charge us $4000 for the first year..... That sounds alot but when I realised they wanted that from both of us i.e $8000 I told them to go and do something rude. Anyway I found a local broker who managed to arrange our insurance with Wanesa for $3000 for both of us and that is now down to a easily manageable $400 (Jules drives a Ford Focus) and $600 (I drive a Ford Escape).
Could you please to say what kind of cars you have first time when you arrived to NB. It was new or used? How many years you need to drive clearly to reach from $3000 to $1000?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.