Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Proof

Car Insurance Proof

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:48 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance Proof

What do you need in terms of proof to a Canadian insurer to prove your no claims discount that you had in the UK? Is the renewal letter stating the number of years acceptable?

Reason being is mine is due for renewal next week and I'm thinking of changing the insurer that I've been with for about the last 5 years. If I need more than just the above letter then a new insurer might not be as helpful....

Alternative angle - is there any insurers that I could change to now that would show up on their system automatically my history from the UK? Norwich Union I think has been mentioned in the past....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all
Default Re: Car Insurance Proof

Originally Posted by G77
What do you need in terms of proof to a Canadian insurer to prove your no claims discount that you had in the UK? Is the renewal letter stating the number of years acceptable?

Reason being is mine is due for renewal next week and I'm thinking of changing the insurer that I've been with for about the last 5 years. If I need more than just the above letter then a new insurer might not be as helpful....

Alternative angle - is there any insurers that I could change to now that would show up on their system automatically my history from the UK? Norwich Union I think has been mentioned in the past....
Only a very few Canadian insurers will accept UK driving history....I've just recently been looking myself, with help from this forum. If you go to the ING website, and find one of their brokers, they did accept my history. Apparently, AVIVA will too. Even so, it is still way more expensive than you will have been used to. I ended up buying a cheapish car, as it was still in the region of $1220 for liability only, and that was with them accepting 5 years no claims, and a immaculately clean driving record from the DVLA! Comprehensive would have emptied my bank account! So, for now, crappy car, until my Canadian driving record is longer.
They want a letter from your insurance quoting number of years insured with no claims. BTW, TD quoted me $1440 without the letter, so if you are going to be saving more than 100 GBP on your insurance in the UK by swapping now, it may be worth it. But obviously, you'll never know for sure what it will cost until you start ringing around.
Hope that helps a bit!
Sally
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:16 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info - so what you're basically saying is that even if they do recognise your UK history, it'll make practically no difference anyway....?

Did you find much variation in the cost according to the vehicle? People have previously said that it's more oriented to the driver than the vehicle over there, so the vehicle doesn't make much difference....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We were insured with AXA in the UK for 4 years but were insured with another company previously. When we left we got a letter from AXA showing the full 7 years No claims we had and this was accepted by AXA over here thankfully otherwise it would have cost us a fortune.

Hope this helps

Sinead
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G77
Thanks for the info - so what you're basically saying is that even if they do recognise your UK history, it'll make practically no difference anyway....?

Did you find much variation in the cost according to the vehicle? People have previously said that it's more oriented to the driver than the vehicle over there, so the vehicle doesn't make much difference....

Actually, yes the vehicle does make a difference. An " Old Man"s" car is cheaper to insure. I actually bought a Kia Rio, which is really a hatchback, but here it is classed as a station wagon, which is cheaper. generally Buick Royals etc are cheaper than compact cars, as they take into account the damage inflicted to vehicles and passengers in a collision, and the percentage of those cars that get into collisions...
Try this link, which gives you an idea of the insurance rating for particular vehicles.

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/B...w_Car/HCMU.asp
http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/d...NALE-WLOGO.pdf

Also, there are huge differences in the insurance prices. For Example, the CAA wanted to charge me over $3000 for liability only, compared to the $1440 from TD.
Sally
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi G77

It really depends on which province you are moving to .... some provinces offer public insurance and others private.

Oggy
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

funnily enough i was just looking into this tonight and going through a few pages i'd bookmarked last year

this may help (or maybe not!) lol

car insurance letter & driver's abstract

Last edited by thundercat600; Apr 23rd 2008 at 9:47 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

We went with http://www.insurancecentre.com/.
They used to be brokers and then got bought out by Johnson insurance and now offer only their insurance.

They back credited our driving history and gave us 6 years no claims which was their maximum. I gave them letters from Direct line confirming our no claims status which was enough.

We were with ING for our first year in Canada and it was outrageous (1700CAD)
It;'s now 600! Much better
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:26 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Hi G77

It really depends on which province you are moving to .... some provinces offer public insurance and others private.

Oggy
Ontario, Windsor area to be more precise....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Warringtongal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thundercat600
funnily enough i was just looking into this tonight and going through a few pages i'd bookmarked last year

Hi! This is just another thing that we are also sorting out at the moment! So this link would have been useful but can't seem to connect to anything???
Is it me or the link?!!

Thaks
Warringtongal
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=G77;6252656]What do you need in terms of proof to a Canadian insurer to prove your no claims discount that you had in the UK?

Hi
We found my no clains bonus could be taken in to consderration as the letter from my UK insurer was formatted in the 'accepteble way' but when OH produced his they wouldnt allow the NCD as they didnt like the wording or layout of his letter from the UK insurance company So we sent a letter to his Uk campany and they say its £18 for a letter and were not sure if they will accept it over here so all in all quite frustrating.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Eastbound;6256002]
Originally Posted by G77
What do you need in terms of proof to a Canadian insurer to prove your no claims discount that you had in the UK?

Hi
We found my no clains bonus could be taken in to consderration as the letter from my UK insurer was formatted in the 'accepteble way' but when OH produced his they wouldnt allow the NCD as they didnt like the wording or layout of his letter from the UK insurance company So we sent a letter to his Uk campany and they say its £18 for a letter and were not sure if they will accept it over here so all in all quite frustrating.
This is such a mine field subject! Could you pls let us know how your letter was worded so we can get our insurers to do it the same way as when my husband produced his letter they said that wasn't worded properly!!!
Thanks
Warringtongal
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Warringtongal;6256018]
Originally Posted by Eastbound

This is such a mine field subject! Could you pls let us know how your letter was worded so we can get our insurers to do it the same way as when my husband produced his letter they said that wasn't worded properly!!!
Thanks
Warringtongal
Have sent you a PM
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thundercat600

??? Would love to know what this info is as we are currently trying to sort out insurance! Is it some info?

Warringtongal
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:46 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Also depends on the province. ICBC accepted proof of no claims and gave me full discount right away. I brought my old renewal notices showing claims free history. Not sure if this is still the case. Any interruption in history is where they stop the discount years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.