Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Ontario

Car Insurance Ontario

Old May 20th 2017, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Ontario

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I know! We live in Perth (WA) and people here moan all the time about the driving. When we were in Canada last year my partner basically sat in the passenger seat with his eyes closed and let me drive. I don't think people can really fathom the driving in the GTA unless they've actually done it regularly. It used to be Quebec that was notorious for aggressive driving, but I really think the built up areas of Ontario are much worse.
haha so true, I can think Melbourne is pretty similar traffic wise, if not worse in reality. When I got a car after using public transport for so long, I was a little surprised about the amount of traffic on the roads in Melbourne, especially around Chadstone.
Thinking it more as reading and replying to these posts, Melbourne is a bit of a sprawl in itself now.
The traffic in rush hour GTA especially the motorways is horrendous, I now have to plan my journey to and from the office so I can avoid the worst of it.

Yes, insurers charge more because there are more accidents and claims.

A 20 year history of driving on the left takes more than a few weeks to get used to. I've been in Australia for 11 years and I still occasionally go to get in the wrong side of the car if I'm tired or preoccupied. And how many people do you know who read the Ontario driving handbook before going to exchange their license?
Still have to disagree, then again I have been driving on the right hand side of the road before, many years ago. Took me a day to get to grips with it, since I nearly killed myself within 10 mins of driving out of the rental place and pulling into the left hand lane. Then I made sure I kept a mental note of it.
I only read the handbook, as one day driving to work I hit an odd situation. No traffic lights and had to chat to my colleagues what to do. First on the right has right of way. New to me, as I think I may have pulled a red light as they went flashing at one point. So decided to read the handbook.

Even an Australian colleague I work with based in Canada, says it does not take much time to switch back and forth when he visits home. The hardest thing is switching from automatic to manual cars. Years of experience DO count and especially when you switch back and forth between countries. You become so much more aware and pre-empt your journey, for me I do not tail gate now.

I am certainly not defending how expensive insurance is in Ontario. However I am saying that there is a reason why insurers charge more for someone who is inexperienced with the driving conditions in a particular area. Someone who has moved from another country will in essence be a new driver when they land. Same as if I move to the UK I would expect that my insurance will cost more initially until I have built up some experience. Do people bitch that they don't have a credit score in a new country? Of course not! It's the same thing IMO - build up some experience and prove you are a good risk and that will change.
Yep agreed, and I totally understand your feedback. But for me, Ontario not recognising your past no claims history is sad. Yes new city and new conditions. When I went for car insurance in Australia, they quite happily accepted my UK no claims even though I had not had a car for 4 years and was comparable to what I would have paid in central London.
Still beg to disagree, insurance companies in Ontario from what I understand will still increase your premiums if still claim free.

How was your first insurance premium in WA compared to what you paid in Canada.. more or less? Did they accept your driving history from Canada or did you get classed as a new driver?
Old May 20th 2017, 4:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I only pulled Lethbridge out of my hat as a smallish city compared with Toronto or Mississauga for example.

So Edmonton and Calgary now have highways as busy as the 400 series? Wow! Things have changed since I was there last.

I thought Alberta was one of the provinces with government insurance. My mistake.

However, I still stand by my original point that driving in the GTA is very different to driving in other areas of the country and insurers in Ontario charge according to the conditions.
It may be different, the traffic is different, i don't remember seeing huge oil field equipment being moved around the gta for example, just pointing out that Ontario insurance is expensive. My daughter learned to drive in Alberta (not a different country) has driven for 5 years in Canada and by moving Province, she is now paying 3x the amount for insurance. To this end she and her boyfriend have found a new place to live that is in walking distance to work - not a two hour bus ride and is now selling her car that she only got earlier this year.
Old May 20th 2017, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

We had this problem when we arrived seven years ago. The only Insurance company that I know will give you some credt for UK no claims and driving experience is Johnsons....There used to be an office in Windsor Ontario but has relocated to either Chatham or London. A google search should bring it up. There may be an office near to where you are.

I got insured with another company, then within a couple of weeks I heard about Johnsons, so cancelled the first policy.....didnt get charged a cancellation fee, and saved a whopping $1200 changing to Johnsons

Last edited by lins and Stef McLachlan; May 20th 2017 at 10:15 pm. Reason: Typo
Old May 24th 2017, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you all know I contacted Johnsons and got a really good quote with a great level of cover. Our UK credentials have been taken into consideration and whilst it is nowhere near as cheap as what we would have been paying back at home it is at least a step forward to getting my wife mobile.

Thanks

Farmboy
Old May 24th 2017, 1:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Welcome to Ontario Canada!
One thing about property insurance is that your content insurance and building insurance are combined unlike the UK and in Canada you cannot separate the two.
You can buy a homeowner's building coverage policy without content coverage. You can buy tenant's policies which cover contents but not the building. I haven't heard of a contents only homeowner's policy, it may exist but I would think a packaged homeowner's policy covering building, content, and liability would make more sense. These are not expensive policies so having three on one house seems like a lot of administration for little potential saving. Is there some reason other than cost for wanting multiple policies?
Old May 24th 2017, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome, glad they could help you. Stick with them until you get to max no claims here, then shop around. We didnt find they reduced much with each claim free year. We are now on max no claims and went with Kent and Essex a year ago, saving over $700.
Stef
Old May 24th 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. We're coming up for 6 years. Currently with Johnson's. So maybe time to shop around for renewal?
Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
You are welcome, glad they could help you. Stick with them until you get to max no claims here, then shop around. We didnt find they reduced much with each claim free year. We are now on max no claims and went with Kent and Essex a year ago, saving over $700.
Stef
Old May 24th 2017, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Just to let you all know I contacted Johnsons and got a really good quote with a great level of cover. Our UK credentials have been taken into consideration and whilst it is nowhere near as cheap as what we would have been paying back at home it is at least a step forward to getting my wife mobile.

Thanks

Farmboy
Good to hear, I tried but subsequent moves between countries and not being able to provide the last 3 years of a NCB meant I failed to qualify. Shame!

And now driving here for around 4 months, I think Ontario is penalising me for driving with some of the worst drivers in the world.

With colleagues telling me try to avoid making any claims and paying cash if you hit someone, I really wonder what is the point of taking out car insurance, aside from it being mandatory.
Old May 24th 2017, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

What have you got to lose? We gained a lot by doing that.
Let me know how you get on.
Stef
Old May 24th 2017, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
With colleagues telling me try to avoid making any claims and paying cash if you hit someone, I really wonder what is the point of taking out car insurance, aside from it being mandatory.
It may be useful in the case of a disputed claim. If you're in collision with someone who has deep pockets and a litigious nature then your legal fees may bankrupt you. If you're insured then the insurance company will provide the lawyer to deal with the claim.

It's sensible to have insurance though I didn't bother for seven or eight years. Something that's common among Ontario drivers.
Old May 24th 2017, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I would have insurance for the personal injury liability.
Old May 25th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
It may be useful in the case of a disputed claim. If you're in collision with someone who has deep pockets and a litigious nature then your legal fees may bankrupt you. If you're insured then the insurance company will provide the lawyer to deal with the claim.

It's sensible to have insurance though I didn't bother for seven or eight years. Something that's common among Ontario drivers.
True, it was an off the cuff remark. Hearing horror stories about areas like Brampton, makes you realise how important it is to have good cover.
Old May 25th 2017, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

True, it was an off the cuff remark. Hearing horror stories about areas like Brampton, makes you realise how important it is to have good cover.
It's news to me that there are horror stories about driving in Brampton. At least anymore so than in the RoC. I commuted up and down the 410 for 18 months and saw a fist fight between drivers most weeks but that was all, no different to the 401 or QEW. What have I missed?
Old May 25th 2017, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's news to me that there are horror stories about driving in Brampton. At least anymore so than in the RoC. I commuted up and down the 410 for 18 months and saw a fist fight between drivers most weeks but that was all, no different to the 401 or QEW. What have I missed?
Not driven enough in the area and surrounding suburbs to truly comment. The Brampton stories are from colleagues who live in and around the area.
In Mississauga, I have seen quite a lot of accidents IMO, for such a short period of time and nearly been taken out at least 3 or 4 times.
Old May 25th 2017, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not driven enough in the area and surrounding suburbs to truly comment. The Brampton stories are from colleagues who live in and around the area.
In Mississauga, I have seen quite a lot of accidents IMO, for such a short period of time and nearly been taken out at least 3 or 4 times.
I have two comments on driving/insurance in Brampton.

It's crazy expensive to insure a car in Brampton. Like bat shit crazy!!!!

Why is it so expensive? Because they drive like morons!!! Every day when I was working in Brampton I would see at least one accident. They behave like they're at the fun fair driving dodgems!!!

Whenever hubby and I go out we will regularly see bad driving and comment "that's why our premiums are so high!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.