Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Ontario

Car Insurance Ontario

Old May 26th 2017, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Ontario

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I have two comments on driving/insurance in Brampton.

It's crazy expensive to insure a car in Brampton. Like bat shit crazy!!!!

Why is it so expensive? Because they drive like morons!!! Every day when I was working in Brampton I would see at least one accident. They behave like they're at the fun fair driving dodgems!!!

Whenever hubby and I go out we will regularly see bad driving and comment "that's why our premiums are so high!"
That pretty much sums up what my colleagues have said, well with the addition that a number of people are out to cause/stage accidents to make claims against you.

Then you had the dodgy cop a few years ago who was convicted due to assisting people with false claims.
Old May 27th 2017, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
That pretty much sums up what my colleagues have said, well with the addition that a number of people are out to cause/stage accidents to make claims against you.

Then you had the dodgy cop a few years ago who was convicted due to assisting people with false claims.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Living in Brampton had been very convenient in many ways but we can't wait to leave this crazy neighborhood!
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 2:33 am
Just Joined

mantasuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved here to Toronto 2yrs ago and bought a car last September, my quote this year the cheapest I could find was 294$p/m could not find anything cheaper anywhere. Motor bike quote for 1000cc street bike 388$ which you get to ride only 3 months. Driving in Ontario is Luxury..

Electrician, 26yr
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Reading this I feel fortunate that Manitoba has government run insurance, I still felt it was expensive going from paying £250 a year in the UK for a BMW M-Sport to about £650 a year on a very equivalent Cadillac, that was also after they accepted full no claims from the UK which I was amazed by. Driving in Winnipeg is nothing whatsoever like driving in the UK, the weather, the road conditions and layout and most of all the abysmal driving standards. Add into it the fact that your age makes no difference to premiums here and neither does the car really, you'll pay about the same for a Ford Focus as you will for a Corvette, so it has it's upsides and downs.

I'd say driving in the GTA is definitely different to here and Alberta but it's not really 'more dangerous' the GTA has incredibly well maintained roads with good lane layout, signage, visibilty and so on, out in the prairies it's like driving in the Wild West. The biggest danger in the GTA is again driver incompetence and aggression, it's full of bad boys a bit like home, flying around like nobs with zero care what carnage they may cause, it's more similar to driving in the USA which is extremely aggressive, impatient and dangerous only in Ontario they drive smaller vehicles while doing it. So yeah, I can see why insurance is high there as you basically need to spend your day avoiding other people trying their best to hit you but it's easier to do it than it is out here I think as you can at least see it coming.

For context i'm a truck driver so drive all over the place in about equal proportions, SW Ontario insurance needs to be high!