Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance cost myth

Car insurance cost myth

Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Car insurance cost myth

Has anyone else found all the stories about car insurance being ridiculously expensive a load of old bollocks? We braced ourselves for the worst, but were actually pleasantly suprised and only ended up paying more-or-less the same as we did in the UK. It was just as simple and cheap as doing it in the UK and as much hassle as picking up a phone can be. We had letters from Direct Line with our no claims and copies of our paper licences. We'd based our fears on reading horror stories of canadian car insurance costs on the web etc, and wondered if anyone else has actually, in reality, found it reasonable?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car insurance cost myth

We've just bought our second car. We are insuring a Kia Sportage and a Kia Rio5 for $1124 per car per 6 months. It's about what we were expecting...higher than the UK, but not completely blown out of proportion. We were awarded 2 years canadian driving experience (despite having none) for our previous driving history. This was with Canadian licences (swapped the day before) and a letter from our previous insurers in the UK stating we had over 5 years no claims.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Ours was $1,300 per year for both of us (including household insurance too) for a brand new 4x4 suv. I was chuffed with that and wondered what all the fuss was about? Just thought it's not as scary as a lot of people say.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:36 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Has anyone else found all the stories about car insurance being ridiculously expensive a load of old bollocks? We braced ourselves for the worst, but were actually pleasantly suprised and only ended up paying more-or-less the same as we did in the UK. It was just as simple and cheap as doing it in the UK and as much hassle as picking up a phone can be. We had letters from Direct Line with our no claims and copies of our paper licences. We'd based our fears on reading horror stories of canadian car insurance costs on the web etc, and wondered if anyone else has actually, in reality, found it reasonable?
Totally agree. Half the price of gas and your already better off, never mind the cheaper vehicles. I love the fact theat Canadians all drive big mean, gas guzzling cars.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

We're very happy with what we pay here.

UK was 690 GBP for a 2yr old 1.0L Lupo (!) and I think 1,100 GBP for a Grand Cherokee Ltd (quite old, 5 or 6yrs iirc).

Here it's 1,600 CAD for a new Kia Sorento. Quids in
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
Totally agree. Half the price of gas and your already better off, never mind the cheaper vehicles. I love the fact theat Canadians all drive big mean, gas guzzling cars.
One day you'll be sorry about that. We're now past Hubbert's peak world oil production. It's all downhill from here, and that means wildly swinging prices, with the trend upwards.

K.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

No myth on the Rock. Jeep Liberty $3400 a year. Yes you read that right, thirty four hundred bucks. Things I wish I hadn't done? Made that claim on my UK insurance for damage (no fault but damage nevertheless) a few months before I moved. Sure it paid to fix up the Volvo but its cost me more here in extra premiums. Sigh. The price of living in Paradise!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

You get stiffed in BC too.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
No myth on the Rock. Jeep Liberty $3400 a year. Yes you read that right, thirty four hundred bucks. Things I wish I hadn't done? Made that claim on my UK insurance for damage (no fault but damage nevertheless) a few months before I moved. Sure it paid to fix up the Volvo but its cost me more here in extra premiums. Sigh. The price of living in Paradise!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:43 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

After reading all the horror stories we were pleasantly surprised and are not sure what all the fuss is about either, we put it down to buying second hand cars - but we do have a few and it still isn't scary.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

We've got a new Shogun sport and it only costs £250 a year comprehensive but we do live in Cornwall! I dont think we'll get it anywhere near that when we move to Van island. Maybe ten times as much. A lot of it depends on what you think is reasonable in the uk. If my insurance was more than £500 then I would consider it expensive!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We have a 06 Jetta 2.0T and a Nissan 3.5 Altima, total insurance for both per year of $1800. We had different vehicles in the UK but I would assume had we had these that the premium would have been about the same.

Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I pay about $2,000/car/year except for the Element which is US$90/year.
I think insurance is quite expensive but the last time I was insured in the UK it was TPO with the Clover Leaf and was over a hundred quid a month, allowing for inflation I suppose Ontario's not so terrible.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Ours was just under $1000 about £200 more than at home. But we also got a letter 5 weeks later taking back the discount they gave us,payable immediatly, until we can show them more proof, so be prepared. we had letters from uk etc but they still not happy with that. i have spoke to 2 other english couples and they have said the same, they got discounts that were then taken away at a later date. so be prepared.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dexdaw
We've got a new Shogun sport and it only costs £250 a year comprehensive but we do live in Cornwall! I dont think we'll get it anywhere near that when we move to Van island. Maybe ten times as much. A lot of it depends on what you think is reasonable in the uk. If my insurance was more than £500 then I would consider it expensive!

Same here. in UK husband had a work van - insurance roughly £200. I had an Alfa Romeo - insurance was £290

so we are paying alot more here, i dread to think what it will be when we get a nice car!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I pay about $2,000/car/year except for the Element which is US$90/year.
I think insurance is quite expensive but the last time I was insured in the UK it was TPO with the Clover Leaf and was over a hundred quid a month, allowing for inflation I suppose Ontario's not so terrible.
dbd33

I just renewed my wife car today for 163 pounds fully comprehensive including breakdown recovery and home start.
Currently we are insuring 2 cars for less than 320 quid a year, which was quite a difference from the $2200 we paid in Ontario in 2005. But they get you on car tax, MOT.
Yesterday spent 112 quid on MOT with 12 month service on wife's car.

I can remember paying 90 pound a month insurance for a 320i BMW at 21 living in London. Luckily thats 20 years ago, so I get good premiums today.

hudd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.