Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance cost myth

Car insurance cost myth

Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance cost myth

Originally Posted by geedee
This "no fault" insurance seems nuts!

If someone rams into you, it is obviously THEIR FAULT. Why should it affect your driving safety record and premium???? Sounds a bit like the logic out here in the Middle East.... if you hadn;t been in that place at that time, you wouldn't have got hit..... duh.

I used to pay GBP 150 a year for a Volvo 850R (speed demon!) TPFT. So how anyone can say Canadian rates are reasonable is, er, questionable.

They're not. And No Fault insurance is totally unfair. Why do you put up with it? Doesn't anyone have the gumption to start a proper insurance company, based on risk and return???
You really need to do some research and find out what "no fault" actually means in an insurance context...cos thats not it!

Last edited by iaink; Nov 14th 2006 at 7:14 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The thing is, in the UK you have the choice whether to insure teens or not. Here, if there is a teen in the house witha graduated G2 license, YOU have to insure them (in case they take the vehicle???), whether you intend allowing them to drive your vehicles or not. All rather unfair.

It was all my boss could do to exclude his then teenage son from being included on his Miata MX5 insurance...but he was still included for the truck and SUV...cost thousands, and thats not an expat hardship tale...just the way it is for canadians too.
Quite - and it really peees me off (specially as I'm a bit of a petrolhead, love fast cars, and really, really, really want an RS4 SOOOO badly!)

Though what I found most interesting (and weird) was that when they started learning, we didn't have to insure them, they don't get put on the insurance or anything! Nice 'cos the premium doesn't go up. So long as they have their learners licence - they can just get in your car and drive (with a qualified driver in the passenger seat of course)! If there's an accident then it is treated by the police/insurance company as if YOU were driving, and you pay the consequences on their behalf. The real kicker comes when they've got their class five and then the insurance assumes all drivers living under the same roof will drive each others vehicles, and this is reflected in the premiums!

My son had his first accident just over a week ago. Fortunately (not to mention surprisingly) it wasn't his fault and the Police ticketed the other driver for an "unsafe turn". It will be interesteing to see what happens to our insurances at the end of it all!

Something else that surprised me, is that when you make a claim against an 'at fault' driver - you have to deal with their insurance company directly yourself! Your insurance does nothing to help. My son had to place many long distance calls (Toronto) to get anything going, and it took them a week just to provide him with replacement transport. They haven't even sent an adjuster out yet. Even then - he has to pay $6 per day surcharge for the rental because of his age.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal

Something else that surprised me, is that when you make a claim against an 'at fault' driver - you have to deal with their insurance company directly yourself! Your insurance does nothing to help. My son had to place many long distance calls (Toronto) to get anything going, and it took them a week just to provide him with replacement transport. They haven't even sent an adjuster out yet. Even then - he has to pay $6 per day surcharge for the rental because of his age.
The way "no-fault" is supposed to work is that you never have to deal with anyone but your own insurance...thats the whole point!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

The way "no-fault" is supposed to work is that you never have to deal with anyone but your own insurance...thats the whole point!
No-fault insurance isn't yet Canada wide. Alberta can't have got there yet - We were told this by both our broker and the insurance company - he has to deal with it himself.

I had an "at fault" (in the literal sense) claim against me a few years back - it was completely my fault . My insurance was absolutely fantastic about it - very quick, very courteous and efficient. They couldn't do enough for me - I was very impressed. The person on the receiving end got the same level of treatment (as well as $45k apparently ) My son has had to call the other party and ask her to push her insurance company into action. Obviously looks like it will take some time. Having just learned they won't pay the $6 per day on the rental, he's thinking of getting a lawyer involved. Don't know if that's a good idea or not.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
And No Fault insurance is totally unfair. Why do you put up with it? Doesn't anyone have the gumption to start a proper insurance company, based on risk and return???
Because in some provinces (e.g. BC) it's illegal to run an insurance company (there's a province-run monopoly). In other provinces insurance is highly regulated and the politicians dictate the rules.

Quite why voters support this is beyond me. But then Canadian voters support a lot of crap that would have Brits choking on their beer (e.g. not being allowed to choke on beer in public parks).

K.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:30 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, in the UK you have the choice whether to insure teens or not. Here, if there is a teen in the house with a graduated G2 license (having passed the basic test), YOU have to insure them (in case they take the vehicle???), whether you intend allowing them to drive your vehicles or not. All rather unfair.

It was all my boss could do to exclude his then teenage son from being included on his Miata MX5 insurance...but he was still included for the truck and SUV...cost thousands, and thats not an expat hardship tale...just the way it is for canadians too.
I'm glad we don't have that where I live in the USA...I know they do in some States...my kids have their own Insurance so they can drive any of our cars on that...my daughter is 25 and pays $600 US a year...my son is 18 and pays $1500 US a year....
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:13 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ImLivingTheDream
"and The Pompus Showoff of the year award goes to......."
Oh do grow up! Honestly, jealousy is not an endearing quality.......
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:43 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sara76
but by judging on how badly they drive around the GTA it ia hardly surprising that it is high. Some of the other immigrants are not used to lines on the roads or a highway code. They just chase you like bumper cars & tailgate you & weave in & out of spaces you would think were not there.
Too true, its just a matter of time before you lose your accident free record and perks, then what happens ?

I was stationary on the way to work yesterday on the 403, clear conditions, some ****witt drives up my rear. Fortunately I was in a rental with full CDW. Same journey this morning I'm keeping up with the pace of traffic and a good distance from car in front. Car behind is getting closer and closer up my **** I give my brakes a quick tap to light up the brake lights and met with a blast of flashing lights and a sneer when SHE passes me on the inside line (Yes i know theres no fast lane / lane culture.)

You really do feel like following some of these clowns and giving them a proper kicking !!!!