car insurance

Old Sep 27th 2019, 12:37 am
Just Joined

zuni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car insurance

Many thanks for sharing your experience.
we were also given a very reasonable quote recently by Desjardin and now have asked for all experience letters etc. Guess they will also come back with same reply as yours...(Annoying that they waste everyone’s time).

do you have a particular contact name/number at Johnson?

also what is your location in Ontario?

Thank you

Old Oct 13th 2019, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

bairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to piggyback on the thread, but this seems an appropriate place to ask. I will have 1 year of no-claims with one UK insurer, prior to that I was with another insurer and I had a claim around 3 years ago with them. So if I get a letter from them, it will mention the claim. Is it worthwhile getting a letter from them? And, if I don't, would a letter stating one-year from my current insurer be of any benefit?
Old Oct 13th 2019, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

mattheww65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bairn7
Sorry to piggyback on the thread, but this seems an appropriate place to ask. I will have 1 year of no-claims with one UK insurer, prior to that I was with another insurer and I had a claim around 3 years ago with them. So if I get a letter from them, it will mention the claim. Is it worthwhile getting a letter from them? And, if I don't, would a letter stating one-year from my current insurer be of any benefit?
Most claims stay on your record for 5 years. 1 years no claims is better than 0 and will likely give you some sort of discount, but it may get balanced out by declaring your accident - hard choice!
Old Oct 13th 2019, 3:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not produce any documents. One year isn't worth much and producing a letter for one year and not the other two could be construed as concealment. Saying nothing is safer. Of course, no one will look closely anyway, unless you get involved in a big claim and really need the insurance.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Rich_BC is an unknown quantity at this point

Just adding information for those relocating to BC. The rules changed last month and they no longer look at your previous insurance as such:-

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...r-country.aspx

I've had my UK license over 20 years and ICBC gave me 15 years driving experience on my new BC license a few weeks ago when I exchanged it. This gave me a reasonable 'driver factor' and thus the insurance on a premium SUV wasn't as much as I expected (still $2500 per year!), however "premiums will be adjusted for the first three years of driving in B.C. due to the increased risks associated with driving in a new area" - so I can only hope they reduce the premium over the next 3 years...

Last edited by Rich_BC; Oct 13th 2019 at 4:17 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 12:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, these insurance rates are enough to make eyes water for sure, I don't think we've ever paid anywhere near those amounts. My daughter had the highest rates as a brand new driver in AB hers was 1200 pa. That changed when she moved to Ont (almost tripled) which made it unaffordable for her to have a car.

we generally pay 3x a year, we usually have 3-4 cars on the main insurance $500 -700 (×3) for those. Then there are the classics I think that about $125 per car, that has a limited mileage maybe 5k and then the bikes, I think last year with 4 on there it was $600, but that's gone way down as we only have 2 on insurance now. As we are always switching cars around it's difficult to know what the premium is for our dailies as we get refunded, then charged then refunded etc depending on vehicle type/value.

Our newest car is 9 years old, challenger RT, it could be because we have old ladies that the premiums are more friendly, still way more than UK rates.

I have been told Intact is about the best when it comes to claiming for accidents. Wawanesa not so much.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 12:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
. Then there are the classics I think that about $125 per car, that has a limited mileage maybe 5k .
The Healey and the Jag, with 5k miles/year each are $800/yr combined. The ordinary cars are about $200/month per car. It might actually be cheaper overall to have six XJ6s and use them all the time than to have one recent mid-range car.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 2:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Healey and the Jag, with 5k miles/year each are $800/yr combined. The ordinary cars are about $200/month per car. It might actually be cheaper overall to have six XJ6s and use them all the time than to have one recent mid-range car.
That's $125 per year, for us. We've just sold a xj6, sold really quick to, think it went to Manitoba, they are just going up in popularity.

Ontario insurance scare me a little 😨