Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping gifts to the UK - so expensive

Shipping gifts to the UK - so expensive

Old Oct 12th 2019, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Screenwriter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping gifts to the UK - so expensive

Any tips? I really enjoy sending little gifts to my loved ones in the UK but it is always so darn expensive!
Old Oct 12th 2019, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping gifts to the UK - so expensive

Unfortunately I haven’t found any solution, however nice it is for relatives and friends to receive gifts in the post, and have started to use UK companies to order online. I find buy a gift good for experience days Lots of choice.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's expensive to ship just about anything from Canada to anywhere including within Canada. If you live close to the border it can be more reasonable to ship from the US using USPS but even their rates are going up.

I used Amazon in the US now to send gifts to my family in the US, simpler and cheaper in the end. I sent a gift box once from Canada 15 years ago, $45 in shipping, learned my lesson and never shipped anything from Canada again.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 12:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon.
UK gift sites.
having a piggy bank to save cash for when they visit.

it's horrendously expensive to mail from here. Christmas surface mail needs to go by October 26th. Still hit and miss for them to get their pressies for Christmas.

I use moonpig for cards now days.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 6:11 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I still send cards back as I make a lot of mine.

However for gifts it’s usually an e-gift card (for my mum) like M&S

For my other friend whose 40th was in July, I wanted to send her a coffee table book on the art work for ‘My Friend Totoro’ - we are both Studio Ghibli fans but her more so. Anyway the book was more expensive in Canada (as are most books compared to the UK) and with postage would have been so expensive so I ended up ordering it from Amazon.UK and it was sent to her that week. Needless to say she loved it.

Today I received a Amazon.Ca parcel from her as it’s my birthday next week. I think this is what we will do from now on
Old Oct 17th 2019, 3:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon, M&S, Moonpig all the way. Oh yes, and interflora. The "Same day delivery" service is useful when you wake up, look at facebook and it reminds you it's your mothers birthday. Or at least so I'm told :-) (Granted that only really works if you are on the Eastern side of Canada.)
Old Oct 17th 2019, 3:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
M&S all the way.
I carried this to a bit of an extreme by ordering from them for people in the UK, in Switzerland and in Canada. It went well until M&S set up a Canadian website with redirect from the UK one. Like L L Bean they seem to have decided that people here want something a bit worse than they had before so now I need a new source for the people who are in Canada (but as far away as the ones in the UK).
Old Oct 17th 2019, 4:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon, local florists in the UK with a web presence (I've ordered funeral flowers that way as well) or for a special birthday or similar https://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/pe...ised-gifts.htm (the service was excellent, delivered on time) - they are dispatched within 24 hours, I was very impressed, chocolates, alcohol, card and engraved gift delivered next day!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 17th 2019 at 4:14 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Wrap up your gifts, drive to the US, go to a US Post Office. Ship them to the UK with tracking for about 30% of the cost of Canada Post
Old Oct 17th 2019, 4:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Wrap up your gifts, drive to the US, go to a US Post Office. Ship them to the UK with tracking for about 30% of the cost of Canada Post
That 30% wouldn't cover the cost of the 8 hr drive to get the 3 hr ferry before another 10 hr drive to the US border.... :-) I'll stick with purchasing online.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 5:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That 30% wouldn't cover the cost of the 8 hr drive
Buy better gifts!